Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an 02 ML500 that has a leaking valve cover on the passenger side, it drips onto the exhaust and smells terrible. I already tried replacing it, but it still leaked, so I just thought the new gasket was bad, so I got a replacement one and it still leaks, but not as bad. It was tightened evenly in a criss-cross pattern. I’m thinking about just putting a bunch of sealant on the outside and calling it good, but I don’t wanna do that if I don’t have to. Any ideas?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,371 Posts
I’ve got an 02 ML500 that has a leaking valve cover on the passenger side, it drips onto the exhaust and smells terrible. I already tried replacing it, but it still leaked, so I just thought the new gasket was bad, so I got a replacement one and it still leaks, but not as bad. It was tightened evenly in a criss-cross pattern. I’m thinking about just putting a bunch of sealant on the outside and calling it good, but I don’t wanna do that if I don’t have to. Any ideas?
Have you done a search and read thru the correct procedure?

Please update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->goto Account Details----> add vehicle details----> add your make model YEAR ----> click save

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
Are you sure your leak is originating at the valve cover itself ? A very common problem is leaking at the combustion chamber located on top of each valve cover. Mercedes Source has a great write up on this issue and how to correct it.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,727 Posts
Did you use a Genuine Mercedes gasket? No aftermarket here!

Tighten bolts criss-cross and in steps.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,727 Posts
For some reason, aftermarket valve cover gaskets are slightly thinner and have a tendency to leak.

So.......... Genuine Mercedes part is required here.

Also, check valve cover seal surface for pitting.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,088 Posts
I purchased an transmission filter kit from AutoZone house brand then after doing so decide to buy the Benz kit (thanks to the voices here).
The MB kit was a thicker more flexible gasket, had a bit of give when pinched. The Auto Zone just did not feel right Flexible but much harder, hardly any give kind of a dried out feel.
Since I was headed on a trip and did not want to take a chance I went with the MB. The Auto Zone is sitting on the shelf in the garage any interest?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,088 Posts
Also:
When you had it off did you check for flatness? Could of been it was not properly torqued by the leak. Over time it warped then started to leak.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,338 Posts
For some reason, aftermarket valve cover gaskets are slightly thinner and have a tendency to leak.

So.......... Genuine Mercedes part is required here.

Also, check valve cover seal surface for pitting.
Yep, the M112/M113 valve cover gaskets absolutely have to be genuine MBZ parts or they will leak. I Have a gtheory as to why. I believe that the original OE gasket was too thin as many (most, or maybe all?) of these engines have developed this leak. MBZ found out and had the gasket made thicker. However, all the aftermarket guys had already created their gaskets based on the old thinner version, thus the reason why they all leak. Having said that, I can find no proof of my theory. In fact, the part number never changed. It may be that the problem was reported to the supplier and the supplier took care of it so the part number was not changed in MBZ's system.

As for all the warnings about cleaning the surfaces of the covers and proper bolt torquing order, I've done dozens of these. I've never had an issue cleaning the surfaces - I used the Loc-Tite spray cleaner and a microfiber cloth. On the breathers where RTV is used, I have actually scraped it off withe a razor blade. The torque on the bolts is so low, i really don't think order is important - this isn't the head to the block. And, I've never had one leak after doing this job - the mileage record was my C240 that went more than 150K miles after the gasket job. There's a friends W208 that I did and it;s approaching 100K miles after the job.

So, using the proper OE gasket us is the most critical thing. The rest of the job - just use common sense.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,371 Posts
I didn’t use a genuine one, I’m not used to working on cars that are so picky about their parts.
With w163s, start getting use to it. Same goes with parts like the MAF. OEM...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
How about building cardboard dam around affected area, filling it with low expansion foam, trimming excess so hood will close and calling it a day. No??
oem cardboard...and foam.

I see you forgot your meds again?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,356 Posts
[QUOTE="khomer2, post: 17949837, member: 845145"

[/QUOTE]

This is third time you have made such comment. There will be no fourth.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Blutec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
900 Posts
[QUOTE="khomer2, post: 17949837, member: 845145"

This is third time you have made such comment. There will be no fourth.[/QUOTE]Sarcasm is a lost art on some. I truly and deeply admire those who practice it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
Can not understand why someone would not use an OEM part for such a labor intensive job, particularly when aftermarket choices have been problematic. I mean come on, gaskets are fairly inexpensive !

Do you really want to do this job AGAIN ?

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
I’m thinking about just putting a bunch of sealant on the outside and calling it good, but I don’t wanna do that if I don’t have to.

Generally, not a good practice !!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I’m thinking about just putting a bunch of sealant on the outside and calling it good, but I don’t wanna do that if I don’t have to.

Generally, not a good practice !!
That would be one bad choice after another.

·
Registered
G500,ML320,300E,220D,190E
1 Posts
Make sure the valve covers are cleaned , no oil in groves where gasket sits, 2nd make sure you are using dealer parts not after market as they differ in thickness. 3rd remove upper part of the valve cover that is sealed by sealant. There is a small pcv hole properly clean that on and clean any sludge build up . Last item torque them per specification. good luck.

·
Registered
'96 E 320, '12 E 350, '02 ML 500, and '10 S 550
5 Posts
Hi. Last summer, i took care of the very same leak on my 2002 ML 500. Like mine, your leak is likely only the little cover on top of that valve cover. You remove the air intake to get to it.
There’s no gasket, you use MB gasket maker, it’s a syringe type tube and not too expensive, and it sealed it perfectly. You might also want to buy and replace the little hose that hooks up to that cover, it’s old and could be brittle and might break.
I got to, and removed that little chamber cover cleaned both contact surfaces, put a neat little bead on one side and put it back together. I let it sit overnight without using the car.
Reach out if you need more help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts