Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML500 Exhaust Leak

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Clvannoy1 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a leak on the Pass side where the manifold connect to the CAT headpipe. Right where the two bolts clamp the two pieces together.
I the old days, there would be a donut there, I don't seam to find anything searching or on the parts listings online. They were thoughtful enough to use a nut and bolt, so I think I can just cut the old one off and put new bolts back in, I just don't want to drop it, unless I have the parts to fix it...

Thanks..

#6 ·
Thanks as always for the confirmation, that's what I assumed after looking at that manifold picture, kind of hard to tell with it bolted up in the car.

Funny effing thing, I start it up today, no freaking noise!!! I put my hand by it a couple of weeks ago when I changed the battery, and I could feel the leak while it was running...

I'm sure the bolts will snap, but I guess it just needs to be tightened....

CR

#9 ·
So I finally got around to it, check engine light on, O2 sensor code.
Replaced both bolts and nuts, bottom bolt frozen in the flange, had to drill it out. Hardest part was removing the inner liner!!! The very few, inexpensive, easy to do jobs on this car. Usually a PIA and expensive!!!

#10 ·
NY:

Could it be that the Rear cats (or fronts) are getting clogged & causing backpressure and that's causing your joint to leak exhaust ?

My pair of rear Cats got clogged so I just did a delete and put straight pipes in their place.

(they have no o2 sensors so can't tell by MIL light)

ML runs much better now. Exhaust shop owner alerted me to the possibility when we had him weld up a crack on the PS side front Cat - He said looks like excess heat caused this - I bet the rears are clogged....

So, just a possibility...

Best Regards, David in Texas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.