Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Black 04 ML500 Inspiration
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a leak on the Pass side where the manifold connect to the CAT headpipe. Right where the two bolts clamp the two pieces together.
I the old days, there would be a donut there, I don't seam to find anything searching or on the parts listings online. They were thoughtful enough to use a nut and bolt, so I think I can just cut the old one off and put new bolts back in, I just don't want to drop it, unless I have the parts to fix it...

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
2001 ML320, 2000 ML430
221 Posts
Racer, I have the same on my 01 ML320. The dealer told me the part is the same at the exhaust manifold gasket on the block.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Racer, I have the same on my 01 ML320. The dealer told me the part is the same at the exhaust manifold gasket on the block.
Interesting... Thanks...

I have to look again, but I don't think that will work, it's not a flat surface like the head is, it's a flared pipe connection, either there's nothing and it's just an interference fit, or some kind of donut I believe...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,840 Posts
The gasket that was posted is for the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head and not for the exhaust pipe.

There is no gasket for the mating of the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. The convex portion of the exhaust manifold (green) fits exactly into a concave cavity in the exhaust pipe, which is the seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gasket that was posted is for the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head and not for the exhaust pipe.

There is no gasket for the mating of the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. The convex portion of the exhaust manifold (green) fits exactly into a concave cavity in the exhaust pipe, which is the seal.
Thanks as always for the confirmation, that's what I assumed after looking at that manifold picture, kind of hard to tell with it bolted up in the car.

Funny effing thing, I start it up today, no freaking noise!!! I put my hand by it a couple of weeks ago when I changed the battery, and I could feel the leak while it was running...

I'm sure the bolts will snap, but I guess it just needs to be tightened....

CR

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,569 Posts
Thanks as always for the confirmation, that's what I assumed after looking at that manifold picture, kind of hard to tell with it bolted up in the car.

Funny effing thing, I start it up today, no freaking noise!!! I put my hand by it a couple of weeks ago when I changed the battery, and I could feel the leak while it was running...

I'm sure the bolts will snap, but I guess it just needs to be tightened....

CR
The nuts are copper so they should nip up a little with no trouble.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that on ebay also, but there's nothing left of the bolts, so they're going to snap inside the nuts for sure. The bolts look like M8 8mmx1.25mm pitch, 58mm long.

CR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts