Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a ML500 2004 and the fan belt broke so within 200 meters and before the temp rising I pulled over and tilt trayed the 4x4 to the mechanic and said at the same time of putting on a new fan belt to also service the auto and check diff oils, MY question is there an electric oil pump that may have been unplugged because since then there is a noisy lifters sound in the motor ???????????????????????????
Can anyone help please.
p.s. Australian delivered car.
email [email protected]

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Please translate "tilt trayed" from the Land Down Under to the Land Up Top.

There is no electric oil pump; it's mechanical.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Questions are:

Why did belt brake?
What service consisted of?
Is it lifter noise or water pump or idler pulley about to come off?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ML500 noisy lifters

Thanks everyone for your replies,
Just got a call from the mechanic, The belt when destroying itself found its way into the motor and sump,
This then blocked the oil pickup,
They lifted the motor and removed the sump, cleaned and flushed out all the oil, now all good.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies,
Just got a call from the mechanic, The belt when destroying itself found its way into the motor and sump,
This then blocked the oil pickup,
They lifted the motor and removed the sump, cleaned and flushed out all the oil, now all good.
Thanks again.
Uh, I'm no mechanic, but can you have him explain how a rubber belt can get into the closed engine oiling system? It didn't go into the oil fill cap, and it didn't get in from underneath in the oil pan. A broken belt can wrap itself around a fan or other external piece under the hood, but it can't get into the engine (ignoring some tiny particle that in theory could get sucked into the intake under certain circumstances).

As noted above, I think it is time to look for another mechanic..........

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good One LOL. Guy probably flushed the oil and threw in a treatment and maybe used a little heavier oil. I had some lifter noise at one point, I changed the oil, used some Lucas Synthetic and starting going to 5w40 instead of 0w40 and its been silky smooth ever since.

Sorry
Aussie, but you just got hosed.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The ticking could be coming from the Purge Valve located near the left rear of the engine.
That was my problem a few years back. I t sounded just like valve tapping noise.
Mike

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Sorry, don't remember. It was replaced several years ago. Open Hood and listen around the area where the brake fluid reservoir is located. I don't remember exactly where it was located.
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts