Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2000 ML430 serviced and they disconnected the battery. The MBZ radio/GPS unit wants a security code. I typed in the code on the card from the manual and it didn't work. I had the unit pulled out and found the serial number was different than what the factory records showed. I got the "right" code for my serial number and it doesn't work either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
You should bring the car back and inform them that they need to get the radio code and fix your problem. You should get the ML back the same way you brought it there.

·
Registered
'86 500sec
80 Posts
I have had the same problem over the years with a couple of head units. Your first step should be with the garage that serviced your vehicle as pointed out above by Tatnhu.
The next Procedure you could try(if you get fed up with waiting for the garage to sort it out) is to pull the head unit out again, wrap it up in a couple of plastic bags, and then pop it in your freezer for about three days. What this does is take the unit out of its normal operating range, and should wipe any memory that deals with security codes etc.
After three days, take the unit out of the freezer and bags, and let it defrost at room temp for 24hrs.
Upon refitting it should let you input any number you want for a new code.
As I said above this method has worked for me in the past on a couple of different makes of head unit.
The good thing about this method is that if you do STILL have to take it back to the garage, it will leave no evidence of tampering with the unit etc.

Let me know how you get on.

Gruff.

[;)][;)]

·
Registered
2000 ML430
13 Posts
I have had the same problem over the years with a couple of head units. Your first step should be with the garage that serviced your vehicle as pointed out above by Tatnhu.
The next Procedure you could try(if you get fed up with waiting for the garage to sort it out) is to pull the head unit out again, wrap it up in a couple of plastic bags, and then pop it in your freezer for about three days. What this does is take the unit out of its normal operating range, and should wipe any memory that deals with security codes etc.
After three days, take the unit out of the freezer and bags, and let it defrost at room temp for 24hrs.
Upon refitting it should let you input any number you want for a new code.
As I said above this method has worked for me in the past on a couple of different makes of head unit.
The good thing about this method is that if you do STILL have to take it back to the garage, it will leave no evidence of tampering with the unit etc.

Let me know how you get on.

Gruff.

[;)][;)]
Has anyone else tried this ??? Does it really work?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,312 Posts
I seriously doubt it. You can be the first to find out.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,957 Posts
It does not work.

These radios are rated to work at -30º F for cold climates. The average home freezer is -10º

·
Registered
2000 ML430
13 Posts
I'm brand new to the ML430 and don't want to make thing worse.

Does anyone have a MCS security code for 2000 ML430 that I can try?
I bought mine at auction it does not have a manual.

Thank you,

Long

·
Purple Moderator
21,957 Posts
Bring it to a dealer or call MBUSA.
Provide the proof of ownership they want and the serial # of the radio.
They will give it to you for free.

Other MCS radio codes are going to work on your unit. Do not even try to put in other codes. After a few failed attempts the unit will stop responding for 24 hours.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
13 Posts
How do I get the serial number without breaking something?
I'm totally new to this ML430.
Thanks so much, Noodles.
Long

·
Purple Moderator
21,957 Posts
The radio needs to be slid out using radio removal keys.

At this point if you had the radio pulled out whoever got the serial number off of it should have kept that info.

If they did not they should be happy to help you get the serial number again if they are customer oriented shop.

It takes 5 minutes to slide out the radio with the radio removal keys. That serial number is needed to present to a Mercedes Dealer or MBUSA to get you the radio unlock code.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
13 Posts
Is it possible to do it without the radio removal tool? is there anything we can use or fashion to do it instead having to wait for a few days to buy it?
Thanks, Noodles!
Long

·
Purple Moderator
21,957 Posts
I personally would not risk it. buy the time you pay for the tools, shipping and wait for them a shop could have your serial number by the end of the day.

Some people have used very small pocket knives, ground down butter knives and the like, but I do not want to see you damage the the little spring loaded tabs that hol in the radio head unit.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,312 Posts
Bring it to a dealer or call MBUSA.
Provide the proof of ownership they want and the serial # of the radio.
They will give it to you for free.
Long, you don't need the radio serial number. You only need the VIN number.

The code will work in the factory-fitted radio. It's unlikely yours is not the original one.

·
Purple Moderator
21,957 Posts
It is not the original radio. The radio serial number does not match MB's build sheet. He had discovered that and it is in his first post.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,312 Posts
Noodles, Long is not the OP. He just bought his ML at auction, and hasn't removed the radio yet. Post #1 is from 8 years ago.

·
Purple Moderator
21,957 Posts
My bad, you are correct.

Long, like DrX already posted, just call MBUSA or a dealer and they will help you.
The dealers in my area do not charge for looking up a radio unlock code.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
13 Posts
Got radio code from the dealer

Thank you, everyone. You're great help!!!

I called the dealer and they helped me over the phone. He asked me to give the car's VIN number and sit in the car and put in the head unit's security code as he read it to me. The whole thing took about 45sec, with no charge.

It's great!

Long

1 - 17 of 17 Posts