Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ML 350
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have recently purchased an 2004 ML350 for the express reason I needed a vechle for towing. The truck didn't come with a bar so Imagine my suprise when talking to MB Canberra in the ACT (Australia) when they told me that you can't fit a towbar to this vehicle because the spare wheel is under the back of the truck ??? Surley this cant be true as I have seen countles ML's running around with tawbars fitted. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me. Cheers Chris

·
Registered
187 Posts
You most definitely can have a hitch on that vehicle. It came from the factory as an option. There are aftermarket hitches available but I recommend biting the bullet, make a deal with the dealer and install a factory hitch.

Jim W.

·
Registered
2004 ML 350
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Towbar

Thanks Jim
It was an MB Dealer that told me that they don't make bars for this model so I will look elsewhere or another dealer Cheers

·
Registered
'11 ML350
131 Posts
I have a '99 ML430, the same W163 generation/model as your 350. In the US, a suitable and affordable aftermarket trailer hitch is easy to find and install. No so with the new W164 models, but that is one advantage of the original W163.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same with my 2005 ML350. MB here said the towbar alone is $3000 then I need to buy the kit and pay for installation.
What have you ended up doing?

·
Registered
2004 ML 350
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Found a Bar

Hi Toekeewhy
I don't know if you are from Australia, but I found a bar through MB Spares in the ACT. The bar with wiring loom was $820 and they will post anywhere in OZ. I had it fitted for $250 at a local trailer maker.If you are handy you could fit it yourself as it comes with detailed fitting instructions. Hope this helps Cheers Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts