Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 ML350 has 100,000 miles on the clock. Have 45,000 miles on Continental Cross Contact LX20 tires. Tires currently on the front are in reasonably good condition, the rear tires are badly worn. Mercedes has supposedly rotated the tires every 10,000 miles. Shop recommends replacing front struts and rear shocks before replacing all four tires. I’m inclined to replace the rear shocks and all four tires (with Continental Cross Contact LX25s) and then carefully watch front tires for unusual wear. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
5,035 Posts
You should be pleased with that mileage on your tyres. If any suspension parts need replacement definitely do it before new tyres.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
46 Posts
That's typical mileage for tires for such a heavy vehicle. Define badly worn? Edges, cupping, center worn out....I would not expect to get anywhere close to 60,000-70,000 miles with any tires on this vehicle. It's nearly 6000 lbs....

Replacing the suspension based only on tire wear is not a valid criteria. You need to combine tire wear with handling. How does the vehicle handle? corner well? How does it handle bumps, extra bounces after bumps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's typical mileage for tires for such a heavy vehicle. Define badly worn? Edges, cupping, center worn out....I would not expect to get anywhere close to 60,000-70,000 miles with any tires on this vehicle. It's nearly 6000 lbs....

Replacing the suspension based only on tire wear is not a valid criteria. You need to combine tire wear with handling. How does the vehicle handle? corner well? How does it handle bumps, extra bounces after bumps?
Vehicle handles fine, corners well, no damping issues. Nearly all miles accumulated on interstates. Just looked at tires more carefully. Actually all 4 look about the same. Plenty of tread depth left in centers, But substantial wear on inside and outside edges. No visible cupping or other uneven wear. I run 32-34 psi for a softer ride, so that may contribute to edge wear. Tires are now noisier than when new, but not bad. They were very quiet for a long time.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
5,035 Posts
Conti’s I’ve found have always worn on the outside edges when they’re worn out. I’ve moved over to Michelin now and the wear is much better. Running lower pressure will give outside edge wear.
When you get new tyres get a full alignment and they will soon tell you if you need any suspension parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should be pleased with that mileage on your tyres. If any suspension parts need replacement definitely do it before new tyres.
Agree that any worn suspension parts should be replaced before fitting new tires. However, more careful examination of current tires shows similar wear on all four. They are evenly worn on inside and outside edges (no visible cupping or feathering) but have plenty of tread depth in centers. No vehicle handling or damping issues. Moderate increase in tire noise at highway speeds since current tires were new. I may just replace tires since we get lots of rain in Houston and watch carefully for unexpected wear. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Conti’s I’ve found have always worn on the outside edges when they’re worn out. I’ve moved over to Michelin now and the wear is much better. Running lower pressure will give outside edge wear.
When you get new tyres get a full alignment and they will soon tell you if you need any suspension parts.
Thanks! How do you think Michelin tire noise compares to Continental?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Thanks! How do you think Michelin tire noise compares to Continental?
When I first put them on I called the tyre shop and said they are horrible because I was use to the conti’s. They said can you give it a week and let them settle. I’d never heard of that , but they offered a full refund if I wasn’t happy after a week.
It took a good 300km before they went quite and I also ran the pressure at 34psi , they had close to 40 in them.
I’m very happy with them now and they have about 30,000 km on them and I’ve found good all round tyre. I will be getting them again in about another 10-15,000 km. Wear is pretty even at the moment. The backs are worn more than the front but I drive it pretty hard 80% of the time. I have rotated them once.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
46 Posts
I was driving with Michelin tires last time. Did not like them at all, felt like a boat, also had outside wear due to spirited cornering. Switched to Pirelli Scorpion Verde. So far so good. Lost the boat feeling and outside tire wear from spirited cornering.

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
I was driving with Michelin tires last time. Did not like them at all, felt like a boat, also had outside wear due to spirited cornering. Switched to Pirelli Scorpion Verde. So far so good. Lost the boat feeling and outside tire wear from spirited cornering.
I’ve never had Pirelli’s but have always had conti’s. My Michelin have been good. My friend swears by Pirelli’s also. Maybe worth looking at next time.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
46 Posts
@mattml430 I have never tried Conti. Only tried MIchelin and Pirelli. My previous vehicle was a 2013 VW Touareg TDI and it came from the factory with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde I, they were noisy near their end of life. But I found out that There was a new version, Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus and tried those on the Touareg and they ran well. And that's kind of why I put them on the ML 350.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I first put them on I called the tyre shop and said they are horrible because I was use to the conti’s. They said can you give it a week and let them settle. I’d never heard of that , but they offered a full refund if I wasn’t happy after a week.
It took a good 300km before they went quite and I also ran the pressure at 34psi , they had close to 40 in them.
I’m very happy with them now and they have about 30,000 km on them and I’ve found good all round tyre. I will be getting them again in about another 10-15,000 km. Wear is pretty even at the moment. The backs are worn more than the front but I drive it pretty hard 80% of the time. I have rotated them once.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts