Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a "left over" 2005 ML350 from Phoenix Motor Co. in Phoenix. They bought it for their loaner fleet and never put it into service (so I bought it as a month-old used vehicle with new car warranty and no freight charge/dealer prep). It had 14 miles on the odo. It is the special edition, Bose system etc. I had the dealer install a hitch, bumper guard, DVD NAV system and a few other goodies.

The NAV system works well (although my home is in one of those "no turn-by-turn" areas). I took it off roading in the Prescott National Forest today (some really rugged trails)...got the tires muddy and officially welcomed it to 4WDing.

I have some GPS coordinates I need to enter as destinations into the NAV system and I can't figure out how to do this. It wants me to enter an address, but these locations are out in the middle of nowhere.

Any idea how to enter GPS coords?

Also, is there a way to set the system so it will go directly to the map screen when you restart the engine? It requires me to press enter and then hit the map button every time I start the engine. My wife's NAV system in her E230CDI doesn't require her to hit enter as long as she had it in mapping mode when she goes to restart the engine.

I've spent a couple hours browsing this forum and have learned a ton of great ideas/hints. I did a search on the questions I posed and didn't find any posts that seem to supply the answers.

I'll try to post a photo from my trip into the Prescott National Forest today.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Must of been some sort of uploading problem.. With the picture.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Sorry, you cannot enter GPS coords into the ML's system. I don't know of any OEM systems that will allow you to do this either.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,156 Posts
Although you can't enter LAT/LONG coordinates, you can store them, but you have to be currently located at that position. For example, Sitting in your driveway, just store your current position as "home". You still won’t get turn-by-turn directions once you leave the mapped roads, but you can still see the point in relation to the mapped roads.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can also enter your current coordinates even when you do not have the correct CD for that area.

The NAV saves the position as a flag on an empty screen but you can find that position again; this was useful when we went to Spain, without the Spanish CD, and were able to store the hotel's location and locate it again.

It is sad that the NAV system in an off-road vehicle cannot be used off road.

I will buy a hand held GPS onto which I can download maps for use off-road or in countries where the roads have not yet been digitised; this will also be useful finding where I parked the car, etc.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
I just zoom with the joystick in map mode to where I want to go. The MCS displays the LAT LON at the bottom on the screen. Here I just finished the runup on 24R on General Mitchell Field in Milwaukee ready to head home. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo

Let's try loading it off site... The photo is near my home in Prescott, AZ in the National Forest at N 34° 29.180 W 112° 30.422 (if you enter that into Mapquest GPS you can see the exact spot). Just before taking this shot I had crossed Indian Creek and climbed a really steep bank with some killer rocks. I didn't even put it into low range and it scooted right up to the summit! Cool!

Thanks for the info on the NAV system. I had assumed that it would help me navigate to GPS locations that I could enter for off-road locations. I have a handheld GPS so I guess that's what I'll have to continue using.

Now I have a problem where the CD system is getting "stuck" and "freezes." Is this a common problem (didn't search on this one yet)...

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
RE: Photo

Thanks for the info on the NAV system. I had assumed that it would help me navigate to GPS locations that I could enter for off-road locations.
Code_3, I like your photo. Beautiful. Let's just set up the NAV step by step to navigate there.

1. In map mode use the joystick to put in your LAT LON. In the first photo I have put in the spot of your photo.

2. Then press down on the joystick. It display the green flag indicating where that spot is. See photo two.

3. Then confirm by pressing the joystick again, it will then calculate the route to it and announce that you can proceed.

The spot is 576 air miles from me, and 746 road miles. [:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfgang...

I hadn't considered moving the map to the coordinates with the joystick. Good idea!

Your screen shots helped. Thanks for including them.

I'll try it tomorrow and see how it works.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Benza - 5/17/2005 10:29 PM

Have you used the breadcrumbs feature to leave a trail when you are off-roading?
Benza, good idea. Once Code_3 hits the blue section of the road in guidance mode and goes off road it changes automatically into breadcrumb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts