Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Bearing is pressed and peened in pulley. It is not replaceable.

Update your profile with production date of your truck. From 09/2002 a/c compressor is different (clutchless).

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Bearing is pressed and peened in pulley. It is not replaceable.

Update your profile with production date of your truck. From 09/2002 a/c compressor is different (clutchless).
Witek, you are correct that the newer models after 9/2002 are clutchless, but they replaced it with a 110mm belt pulley which I assume has a permanent bearing built in. That pulley, according to EPC is a servicable item.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Just looked at cross section drawing on clutchless compressor pulley. I don't see groove or circlip. Bearing is pressed in and surrounding material mashed in to form retainer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Here is link to front plate removal kit. It lists denso 6P compressor which up to 08/2002 ML has. Have you taken belt off and actually determined that bearing is bad?

Amazon.com: CPS Products CTK1300A Deluxe A/C Compressor Clutch Tool Kit: Home Improvement
Gee Witek, thanks for agreeing or disagreeing with my post. You are a hard man to get comments out of. Note that the poster has an 04 350 so the up to 8/2002 is a moot issue.

Stoney, here is the TSB on the matter and you can decide for yourself if you want to tackle it. But keep in mind that you will need special tools to do it. As Witek pointed out, it would be a good idea to either removed the belt or get a shorter belt which would eliminate the compressor (as per the TSB).

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help.Yes dealer says its bad & wants $700. Its a 2004. LL I need to replace the pulley?

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Jim,

I was typing my post while OP was updating his info.

Yes, pulley can be replaced separately with compressor on the car. Bearing itself, I don't think so.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006 ML350 A/C Compressor Pulley

yea, had squeeks and then load rattle in engine; dealer said was "A/C Compressor Pulley". I have full Mercedes extended warranty, only 46k miles, it said, 'A/C Compressor and clutch' covered. However, dealer scammed me and said, yours has a "pulley" not a "Clutch" therefore, it'll be $655.00!!! Called Mercedes warranty and they are useless, they just deferred to the dealer's comments. Said the 'computer' rejected the "pulley" as a warranty item. I asked them, 'where's the clutch' and they said, yours has a pulley, not a clutch! Bottom line, I think the warranty intended to cover it (it covers EVERY other pulley in the engine), but they didn't update the warranty computer verbiage, so people get screwed in this situation.

I love the car, hate the Dealer Service (in Chicago); probably same everywhere when it comes to the 'fine print' of a warranty.

Comments?:(

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Please note you have a W164, so check the other forum, and same pulley compressor was used on late '02 on W163.

On the CPO warranty, you could check face-to-face with another dealer. Some dealers "max out" their CPO warranty work early in a month, or have been put on short ration for CPO work - another dealer might have more room.

If the CPO is out, then if its your dime get a whole new OEcompressor, and new drier, for at/under $600 and say screw it, and have a indie put in the whole shebang, you need to check if you have auxiliary air or not, since that makes a difference in compressors. If you have the basic, then search Google deep for the Behr China non-brand new compressor which can be like cheap:

2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 Select Model from Buyautoparts.com

Before you went the whole shebang, I would check the tensioner too, and/or replace the tensioner with a fresh $140 part - because the tensioner is suspect and excess tension could be the original source of the noise problem (and NOT use the China tensioner for like $70). You have noise which goes away when you turn the aircon off, and also that goes away when you increase the RPM's. ALL could be tensioner related, you just don't know.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
231 Posts
I expect this issue is done but I thought I'd throw in an alternative. I just bought a rebuilt compressor done by Denso from Amazon for $257.

It truly was rebuilt by Denso and looks new. It comes with a new pully and clutch. While I don't have direct info on Denso I have been through the Sanden plant in Dallas (I was a vendor). Their rebuilt compressors are built to the same standards as new. All components are returned to new condition or replaced. Rebuilt compressors are in most cases updated to the latest revision where possible. I would expect that a Deso rebuilt compressor is built to new standards also. Why spend much time and money repairing a old compressor when you can replace all the components that should be good as new?

·
Registered
547 Posts
im having a rattle in the ac pulley too on my 05...are these bad clutches between the late 04 and 05 years?? it rattles at low RPMs...when i have it in gear it does it at a stand still once at a higher rpm it stops...also doesnt do it while the ac is on(at any RPM)...i have replaced the idler pulley and also the tensioner due to a little noise. this has been doing it since it had 53,000 miles and now it has 78,000....is it likely to break or ruin something else? and also could the compressor be bad too..?? i dont think it will since the noise stops when the clutch is engaged....right??

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
im having a rattle in the ac pulley too on my 05...are these bad clutches between the late 04 and 05 years?? it rattles at low RPMs...when i have it in gear it does it at a stand still once at a higher rpm it stops...also doesnt do it while the ac is on(at any RPM)...i have replaced the idler pulley and also the tensioner due to a little noise. this has been doing it since it had 53,000 miles and now it has 78,000....is it likely to break or ruin something else? and also could the compressor be bad too..?? i dont think it will since the noise stops when the clutch is engaged....right??
What clutch? There is no clutch. Compressor runs at all times engaged. What changes is demand for pump/no pump. With request for compressor maximum output noise in belt train will increase. It is normal.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I was typing my post while OP was updating his info.
That's why I like to Quote OP when there is questionable information. If they go back and edit the info it will not be changed in the quote. Also if they delete the post it will remain in the quote.
Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
What clutch? There is no clutch. Compressor runs at all times engaged. What changes is demand for pump/no pump. With request for compressor maximum output noise in belt train will increase. It is normal.
no the noise increases with the compressor off or no pump as you said it...there is a loud rattle when it is off...almost sounds like a diesel when idling in gear.

there is a rattle as the compressor is on but it is very little..no where close to when its off...almost goes away but up close you can still hear it.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
no the noise increases with the compressor off or no pump as you said it...there is a loud rattle when it is off...almost sounds like a diesel when idling in gear.

there is a rattle as the compressor is on but it is very little..no where close to when its off...almost goes away but up close you can still hear it.
Here is document describing remedies to this problem.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts