Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tire pressure do you guys run on your ML350?

Mine is on standard 19" wheels and comes with OEM Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S. At the factory recommended 32/32 PSI, the front tires will squeal embarrassingly at near parking lot speed in a California style U turn. I bumped up the pressure to 34/34 and the squeal is nearly gone at the same U turns and with more neutral handling vs the slight understeer at 32/32.

·
Registered
2017 CLS550
195 Posts
I have the same tires and find them to be a little loud at all pressures I've tried - from 31 to 38 pounds. I settled on 34/35 (normal load) for the best compromise in comfort, handling and noise. How they will wear with this pressure remains to be seen.

This vehicle was originally coming off line to a Boston dealer but it had everything I wanted plus a couple things extra so my dealer in Texas traded invoices with the Boston dealer for one of his cars coming off line and got this one for me. It had wheel locks, heated steering wheel and a few other things I would not order here where I live in Texas but I understand them for a big city northern climate car.

I think most southern MLs have Continental tires and most northern bound MLs have the Dunlops. I have heard the Continental tires ride a bit better but I have had no complaints with the Dunlops, at least when I keep them at the 34/35 pound cold tire pressure.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,128 Posts
I have the same tires and find them to be a little loud at all pressures I've tried - from 31 to 38 pounds. I settled on 34/35 (normal load) for the best compromise in comfort, handling and noise. How they will wear with this pressure remains to be seen.

This vehicle was originally coming off line to a Boston dealer but it had everything I wanted plus a couple things extra so my dealer in Texas traded invoices with the Boston dealer for one of his cars coming off line and got this one for me. It had wheel locks, heated steering wheel and a few other things I would not order here where I live in Texas but I understand them for a big city northern climate car.

I think most southern MLs have Continental tires and most northern bound MLs have the Dunlops. I have heard the Continental tires ride a bit better but I have had no complaints with the Dunlops, at least when I keep them at the 34/35 pound cold tire pressure.
I have a northern car with Pirellis. I run 32/35 unless loaded up, which works fine (have Active Curve, though).

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400; 2014 Corvette; 2012 ML350 (wifey's)
96 Posts
Contis here. There was another thread where we went round and round about tire pressures because the recommendations on the fuel filler label and on the door post label do not agree. I've got them at 34 cold and they seem just fine, although they do build up enough with heat, load, long trips so as to be noticeably harsh.
And although these Contis are supposedly all weather they were terrible in snow last year.
My wife's ML came through with Dunlops and they look more aggressive so should be better in snow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They say at my dealer to put in 44-46 cold lol I think that's way too much but I tried running my dunlops at 34psi and the low tire pressure light went on so now I run about 38 psi cold rides awesome until I put my new 295/35/22 rims on it lol if they ride that bad ill just slap on my old 22 inch stock AMG rims from my 09 ml63 on there

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,128 Posts
They say at my dealer to put in 44-46 cold lol I think that's way too much but I tried running my dunlops at 34psi and the low tire pressure light went on so now I run about 38 psi cold rides awesome until I put my new 295/35/22 rims on it lol if they ride that bad ill just slap on my old 22 inch stock AMG rims from my 09 ml63 on there
34 is fine. The warning probably came on because if the change so you just need to reset.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They say at my dealer to put in 44-46 cold lol I think that's way too much but I tried running my dunlops at 34psi and the low tire pressure light went on so now I run about 38 psi cold rides awesome until I put my new 295/35/22 rims on it lol if they ride that bad ill just slap on my old 22 inch stock AMG rims from my 09 ml63 on there...
Mine came with 42 cold from the dealer. I had a flat last weekend and the shop put the recommended 32 in the replacement, causing my light to come on. I readjusted all tires - 32 / 35 - and have reset the system. Page 109 of the online manual. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Fuel filler door is accurate MB recommendation - the door jamb decal is mumbo-jumbo-wrong - fresh ML tires seem "best" about in mid-30's+ - drive for 2 weeks then adjust 2lb's up or down - drive another 2 weeks - until you dial in the feel you need.

If a dealer delivered at 42 - then that dealer had no sense since 42psi is the "shipping" pressure for transport on a truck carrier

·
Registered
ML350 2011
2 Posts
Questions about continental tires for ml350 2011 -19"

Hello ,

I am very new owner of ml350 2011 (possibly 19" tire) with continental 4x4 contact ...i bought this car like a month ago and dealer said I have brand new tire (it's cpo). I just had flat tire with big whole amd can't be repaired needs replacement road side assistant told me today.

If tire was purchased at the time when I bought month ago then isn't should covered by tire manufacturer ? Btw I don't have insurance for tire/glasses though? If I would need to replace it do You recommend to replace through dealers o I can do from pepboys? How much does one tire cost typically ? Thanks so much for your advise. I am sorry that I used the same thread since I don't know how to start new one...appreciated for ur advise.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Fyi— Dunlop Grandtrek 255/50R19 max pressure (corresponding with the "tire's Max. Load"), is... 50. The recommended >40 all-around has not compromised the ride for me (at least compared to the '03 ML that the new '14 BTC replaced). The OEM Dunlop tires do not seem to be noisy and the ride is good. But, they're short-lived (and a lot cheaper) compared to— e.g., Bridgestone Dueler Alenza (100K miles but are not available in this size).

UPDATE: Bridgestone's Alenza is now available in this size — 540AA — compared to the Dunlop's UTQG wear rating of ~200

·
Registered
ML 350 Bluetec
179 Posts
Interesting info. from all; thanks!

I'm actually quite puzzled by all this, thinking it should be very simple, straight forward AND, known by ALL M-B techs (mechanics).

I know for a FACT my 2014 BlueTEC never received dealer servicing for pre-delivery! The vehicle was parked in one spot after it came off the trailer, had the plastic on the seats & wood steering wheel, etc., and in 45 minutes had a wash & dry and was then parked right outside my salesman's cubicle for delivery.

Tire pressure was 41psi both front tires & 48psi both rear tires. Pirelli Scorpion Verde all weather tires, 265X45X20. Salesman said the tire pressures were "extremely" high, rear tires especially, and was going to have the vehicle delivered that way, for me to return as soon as possible...

I asked the salesman what the proper pressure should be; "around" low 30's he said. The first mechanic spoken to said he "thinks" just under 40. Next mechanic laughed & said "not sure". Another mechanic said check inside the fuel filler door, but then said it's different than the label inside the front door on the driver's side, so unsure. Another tech stated the filler door label is not the right pressure; another mechanic said the filler door label IS the right pressure, which states "35" all around for a light load, higher with a loaded vehicle...

Why is this such a debacle, especially for such a respected brand such as M-B?? One would assume each and every M-B trained tech would know what the proper pressure(s) are...

I have been riding on 35psi, all around, is that proper? Should I experiment as some have suggested & try a few psi up and/or then down??

I'm not a smart man; I used to have a Ga. license plate years ago "JAFP" for Just A F*^#%*!g Pilot :)

Comments? PLEASE... Thanks,

A.A.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting info. from all; thanks!

I'm actually quite puzzled by all this, thinking it should be very simple, straight forward AND, known by ALL M-B techs (mechanics).

I know for a FACT my 2014 BlueTEC never received dealer servicing for pre-delivery! The vehicle was parked in one spot after it came off the trailer, had the plastic on the seats & wood steering wheel, etc., and in 45 minutes had a wash & dry and was then parked right outside my salesman's cubicle for delivery.

Tire pressure was 41psi both front tires & 48psi both rear tires. Pirelli Scorpion Verde all weather tires, 265X45X20. Salesman said the tire pressures were "extremely" high, rear tires especially, and was going to have the vehicle delivered that way, for me to return as soon as possible...

I asked the salesman what the proper pressure should be; "around" low 30's he said. The first mechanic spoken to said he "thinks" just under 40. Next mechanic laughed & said "not sure". Another mechanic said check inside the fuel filler door, but then said it's different than the label inside the front door on the driver's side, so unsure. Another tech stated the filler door label is not the right pressure; another mechanic said the filler door label IS the right pressure, which states "35" all around for a light load, higher with a loaded vehicle...

Why is this such a debacle, especially for such a respected brand such as M-B?? One would assume each and every M-B trained tech would know what the proper pressure(s) are...

I have been riding on 35psi, all around, is that proper? Should I experiment as some have suggested & try a few psi up and/or then down??

I'm not a smart man; I used to have a Ga. license plate years ago "JAFP" for Just A F*^#%*!g Pilot :)

Comments? PLEASE... Thanks,

A.A.
A.A.

Not sure what the correct answer is, but I have the same car and tires. I just got it a few weeks ago and have been driving around on 35psi as well. Last week, the TPM warning came on, so I took it to the nearest Costco to add some air. I looked at the door jam and was surprised to see the high psi ratings. So I asked one of the technicians for assistance, told him I have a question on the tire psi. He looked at the tires and without looking at the door jam, told me I need 45psi front and 48psi rear, because I have the low profile tires. So I went ahead and top them all up, actually thought the drive is a bit better now.

·
Registered
ML 350 Bluetec
179 Posts
dtshd,

Many thanks for your reply & the information!

I really wish I knew the proper, FACTUAL answer... I have heard as well as read that "red line" is 50 psi. Should that actually be the case, one would think that "running on" 48psi and knowing they can and will go up when hot, I personally am not comfortable right on, or actually just "above" the actual value, even though the ride may be better...

Again, I would have thought this info. would be standard, very basic stuff learned in M-B Tech. Class 101, but that's probably one of many reasons I'm JAFP!

Thanks again for the reply; please kindly repost should you receive an updated answer. Have a great day...

A.A.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
dtshd,

Many thanks for your reply & the information!

I really wish I knew the proper, FACTUAL answer... I have heard as well as read that "red line" is 50 psi. Should that actually be the case, one would think that "running on" 48psi and knowing they can and will go up when hot, I personally am not comfortable right on, or actually just "above" the actual value, even though the ride may be better...

Again, I would have thought this info. would be standard, very basic stuff learned in M-B Tech. Class 101, but that's probably one of many reasons I'm JAFP!

Thanks again for the reply; please kindly repost should you receive an updated answer. Have a great day...

A.A.
Since a tires "Maximum Tire Pressure" has nothing to do with a "red line" that risks blowing tires off their rims, (see earlier post) — and, perhaps because meeting certain mpg goals across a manufacturer's fleet of vehicles has taken on greater importance — my guess is, MB has gone to increased tire pressures (so it isn't forced to purchase indulgences from Tesla to sell MBs in California) and tuned their suspensions accordingly.

·
Registered
ML 350 Bluetec
179 Posts
Thanks Mac; saw your post yesterday, which I believe stated max pressure (corresponding with a tire's max load), meaning that we actually don't know what a "red line" psi is, only that it is fine and acceptable to bring the psi up to say 50 or 51 if that is the max "load" psi, correct?

Any idea who put out the numbers on the fuel filler & who stated the door jam numbers? If I recall, the fuel filler has 2 different numbers apparently due to load, not sure if the door jam also has 2 numbers, but I also recall a substantial difference between fuel filler and door jam.

Told you I'm not very smart...

Cheers,

A.A.

·
Registered
ML 350 Bluetec
179 Posts
Not doubting anything you say Mac; thanks for the info. I am driving my other car today, curious to see the numbers on my vehicle (both door jam & fuel filler door).

BTW, nobody at my dealership ever asked what my usual load is. Normally, it's just the driver, with a front seat passenger on occasion...

Cheers...

·
Registered
ML 350 Bluetec
179 Posts
Mac et al,

Just one more dumb question from me...

Is it fair to say you should get a better ride at >40 psi vs. 35 psi? Again, for me, usually the driver only in the car with an occasional front seat passenger... Would it perhaps be recommended for me to run the same pressure, front & rear?

Lastly, please, any idea if tire wear might be expected to be pretty much the same for me at say 40 psi vs 35 psi? Might higher pressure possibly equate to higher tire wear? Slight, or substantial??

Thanks again,

A.A.

·
Registered
ML 350 Bluetec
179 Posts
OK y'all, last post from me today on this thread,

In the driver's side door jam I have 2 labels:

Black Label - 3,197 lbs. - 45 psi and at 3,638 lbs. - 48 psi

White Label - (Extra Load) - F - 45 psi & R - 48 psi

Fuel Filler Door - Normal - 35 - 35 & Max - 41 - 44; it also states, warm tires up to +4 psi

Running around with just the driver, and possibly 1 front seat passenger, perhaps 35 psi is the proper # for me. I might just try either 35 front, 38 rear, OR 38 front & rear...

Have a great day folks...

A.A.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts