Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:Boy am I pi..ed! in the last 2 weeks my Engine has died 5 times on me, just driving along and RPM gauge Zero! Nada, put vehicle in neutral and restart no problem.
No Lights! no Warning no feedback after, will be taking it for Service but just thought about sharing this with the MB ML community and see if that has happened to anyone before.
I t may be bad fuel, refilled at another Service Station, I'm in Calgary Canada.

Thank in advance
FF

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
92 Posts
4k+ miles on mine, no such problem...Could possibly be bad fuel, or do you have a lot of keys on your key ring? Heavy keys were a problem for the W163, causing engine stops. The W164 has a newer ignition design, but you never know.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I can only guess but it sounds like the cam position sensor is on its way out. Also I think you can rule out the fuel. I own several diesels and any bad fuel usually means its wont run at all and wont restart until you change the filter and clean the tank

·
Registered
C55 ///AMG
559 Posts
Sounds like the crank position sensor. You should have received a recall notice.
I agree...sounds like it's the CPS. And it will likely not produce any error codes either, so definitely make it to your dealer sooner than later for this recalled part. It only takes them 1-2 hours to replace.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all feedback, I have set up an appointment and will have there on the 17th.

FF

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
38 Posts
My 08 320cdi has been doing something similar, the check engine light comes on and the engine stops! But every time it's done it I can restart the ML and get home. First time the dealer said it was the fuel distribtion unit (now replaced). Second time, well it's still in the shop, they don't know yet.

BTW, according the the dealer my ML is not on the Cam Sensor recall list.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
The same thing happened to our 07 R320 CDI. I've been doing searches for this issue and just came across this thread.
After the engine completely cut out, the check engine light came on. It wouldn't restart until around 15 min later. At the dealer, they read the error code as "fuel rail monitor: pressure too low". However, they could not figure out why that happened and caused the engine to die. Since they couldn't figure out what is wrong, they are replacing the fuel pump. This is not acceptable and could have resulted in a very dangerous situation had this happened after we started our left turn. With the whole family in the car and a 4 month old infant, in 90 degree weather, things get even dicier when there is no AC while we wait. Lucky we only had to wait 15 minutes. The car has been in the shop for more than two weeks now, waiting for the fuel pump, which is on back order. Since they don't know what caused the problem to begin with, it could happen again.
Lemon law in my state states that if a car under factory warranty that is less than 15 months old has to be in the shop for 30 days or more, it qualifies as a lemon. We shall see... meanwhile, we are in a loaner C, while it's sporty, it barely fits the infant seat and gets worse mileage than the CDI.

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
300 Posts
I've had an identical situation on an '88 Dodge Grand Caravan. A far cry from an '07 ML320 but still the same symptoms. Bottom line was a bad fuel pump but it took the dealer months to figure it out. The car would not die all of the time, only when the temp was over 70 F, and then not every day. 10 or 15 minutes after dieing it would restart and run fine. Usually I was on my way home so I was only 15 minutes away. The dealer drove it and kept it for two weeks of troubleshooting, but once they had eliminated everything else the pump did the trick. It was kind of gratifying though when one day I saw the service manager conked out on the side of the road with it about 10 miles from his shop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The same thing happened to our 07 R320 CDI. I've been doing searches for this issue and just came across this thread.
After the engine completely cut out, the check engine light came on. It wouldn't restart until around 15 min later. At the dealer, they read the error code as "fuel rail monitor: pressure too low". However, they could not figure out why that happened and caused the engine to die. Since they couldn't figure out what is wrong, they are replacing the fuel pump. This is not acceptable and could have resulted in a very dangerous situation had this happened after we started our left turn. With the whole family in the car and a 4 month old infant, in 90 degree weather, things get even dicier when there is no AC while we wait. Lucky we only had to wait 15 minutes. The car has been in the shop for more than two weeks now, waiting for the fuel pump, which is on back order. Since they don't know what caused the problem to begin with, it could happen again.
Lemon law in my state states that if a car under factory warranty that is less than 15 months old has to be in the shop for 30 days or more, it qualifies as a lemon. We shall see... meanwhile, we are in a loaner C, while it's sporty, it barely fits the infant seat and gets worse mileage than the CDI.
Crankshaft Position Sensor. I'll say it again: CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR.

There's a factory recall on this problem. Your dealer ought to know better.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I've had an identical situation on an '88 Dodge Grand Caravan. It was kind of gratifying though when one day I saw the service manager conked out on the side of the road with it about 10 miles from his shop.
It would have been more gratifying if you saw him light it on fire and let it burn to the ground.:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Doppelganger, before you go spouting off like a headless chicken next time, read my (or any other in the future) post carefully. The error code thrown has nothing to do with the Crankshaft position sensor. The car was brought in for the recall within the first week of receiving the notice. Even if the CPS had not been replaced already, the cause of the failure can not be attributed to the CPS due to the error code thrown.
Would you like to "say it again"?

·
Registered
2007 Alpine Rain/Ash ML320 CDI
300 Posts
It would have been more gratifying if you saw him light it on fire and let it burn to the ground.:)
True, but after 3 teenage student drivers, 1 bend rim, 2 head gaskets, 3 CV boots, 2 timing belts, 1 ignition switch, and 155,000 miles it was donated to charity and may have helped somebody.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
True, but after 3 teenage student drivers, 1 bend rim, 2 head gaskets, 3 CV boots, 2 timing belts, 1 ignition switch, and 155,000 miles it was donated to charity and may have helped somebody.
And better tax benefit with less air pollution than disposal by fire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Doppelganger, before you go spouting off like a headless chicken next time, read my (or any other in the future) post carefully. The error code thrown has nothing to do with the Crankshaft position sensor. The car was brought in for the recall within the first week of receiving the notice. Even if the CPS had not been replaced already, the cause of the failure can not be attributed to the CPS due to the error code thrown.
Would you like to "say it again"?
Of course, dealers have never ever been known to misread and/or misinterpret fault codes; but good luck to you!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Step one: plug into the Star computer.
Step two: read code. nothing to "interpret" (there is a separate fault code for CPS failure.)
Again, the CPS had already been replaced.

One cause of mis-information on the net are due to posts from posters who's confidence levels dwarf their technical/logical troubleshooting skills. Please refrain from jumping to conclusions without all relevant information. It will save us all from sorting though piles of mis-leading posts during searches.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Step one: plug into the Star computer.
Step two: read code. nothing to "interpret" (there is a separate fault code for CPS failure.)
Again, the CPS had already been replaced.

One cause of mis-information on the net are due to posts from posters who's confidence levels dwarf their technical/logical troubleshooting skills. Please refrain from jumping to conclusions without all relevant information. It will save us all from sorting though piles of mis-leading posts during searches.
Yes, dear. Good luck!

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
38 Posts
Just got word from the Dealer.

Needs a new Fuel pump, only took 1 day to get a new pump! Should be able to pick her up on Monday!

T.

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 😠
1,138 Posts
People need to understand something. Just because the code says "Crank Sensor" doesn't mean that is the problem. It can be the crank sensor, the connector, the wiring harness, the pin connector at the computer... it could even be the tone ring on the crank itself. That being said, a technician needs to "interpret" the code and find the actual problem.

One example is, my Check Engine light is on. I plugged my scanner on it and the code shows that the catalytic converter is bad. I would bet that it is not the cat, but the exhast leak that fools the computer into thinking that the cat is bad. I don't care either way, because the cat is covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts