Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes ML320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked all over the blogs and could not find anything that quite matched my problem. I have a 98 ml320 that keeps going into limp mode. The trans will go into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and overdrive once the codes are cleared from the etc (codes 51 and 147) as long as it does not downshift (steady accel from ramp to highway). as soon as it downshifts to 3rd, it goes into limp mode until the codes are cleared. to save some time, here is what i have done... Replaced connector on trans due to fluid issues, none were found but changed as a precaution due to everyone elses issues, no fluid in etc or connector from wicking up the wires. Read etc and it is coded. Replaced conductor plate, valve body and all solenoids. New fluid and filter. Fluid pulled out was clean with no chunks or metal, not burnt. does not seem to slip at all. shifts smooth when you clear codes. checked output shaft signal and it shows speed output when moving. Checked both speed sensors and both show output. Checked all hydraulic valves and springs in valve body for broken springs, smooth operation, scoring, contamination etc. none found all look good.

Where should i go next????

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
What are the full codes that are being stored? What type of scanner are you using?

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes ML320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using a snapon verus with european. the powertrain code is p0700 which just indicates there are codes in the etc. the etc codes are 51 and 147 which is gear implausable or transmission slips. i clear the codes from both the etc and the powertrain computer and they always come back.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes ML320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought this car used, with the trans out of it. i installed a 99 trans in it from a salvage yard. is it possible that the trans is actually from a 2000? the vin the salvage yard is showing is for a 1999 but with the v8 and not the v6. could the ratios actually be different for the v8 and thats what is causing the codes?

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes ML320
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok.....problem solved, i pulled the data from the trans case. the salvage yard sent me an ML430 trans. that is why it is kicking codes for the ratios. Thanks to everyone that helped.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
ok.....problem solved, i pulled the data from the trans case. the salvage yard sent me an ML430 trans. that is why it is kicking codes for the ratios. Thanks to everyone that helped.
Yes they are different transmissions, but it would have helped if you told the whole story at the beginning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts