Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my ’99 ML320 (125k miles) at my office a few days ago like I do every morning. At the end of the day, when I was going to leave, it wouldn’t start. The engine turned over like a champ (it has a new battery), but never sounded like it even wanted to catch. I left it there overnight and tried it again the next day with the same result: a healthy sounded turn over, but no starting or even coughing. So, I left it there one more night tried it a couple of days ago and it started right up like nothing had even happened. So, I drove it for a couple of days and last night I parked it in my driveway after I got home from work, came out a few hours later and it won’t start again. I am really confused about what it could be. The only other problem I have with it is a clogged EGR valve that causes a little shake when idling. The new EGR valve is coming in the next couple of days and I’ll replace it this week, but I don’t think that is the cause, because I have been driving the car for a few months since the EGR started acting up.

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
I parked my ’99 ML320 (125k miles) at my office a few days ago like I do every morning. At the end of the day, when I was going to leave, it wouldn’t start. The engine turned over like a champ (it has a new battery), but never sounded like it even wanted to catch. I left it there overnight and tried it again the next day with the same result: a healthy sounded turn over, but no starting or even coughing. So, I left it there one more night tried it a couple of days ago and it started right up like nothing had even happened. So, I drove it for a couple of days and last night I parked it in my driveway after I got home from work, came out a few hours later and it won’t start again. I am really confused about what it could be. The only other problem I have with it is a clogged EGR valve that causes a little shake when idling. The new EGR valve is coming in the next couple of days and I’ll replace it this week, but I don’t think that is the cause, because I have been driving the car for a few months since the EGR started acting up.
Sounds like classic CPS (crank position sensor) failure. If it has never been replaced, that would be the first thing I would replace. My 2 cents. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
^^ +1. it's like every ML that starts to have starting problems that are intermittent a change in the CPS should be done. Idk the life expectancy for those, maybe around 70k.
How did you come to arrive at this 70K mileage figure?

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,148 Posts
I'm on CPS #2. 1st was replaced by previous owner at about 85,000 miles. This one lasted 100,000. It's now crapping out. Had a no start episode Saturday. Waited 20 minutes for it to cool down and fired right up. Part is ordered and should be here, tomorrow.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I much appreciate it. Can anybody recommend a good place to buy a new sensor? I'd like to get one as soon as I could.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so here's my update: I received and replaced my EGR valve with a brand new one a few days ago. Then, today I just got a brand new Crank Position Sensor. I took the old one out and cleaned around the hole then put the brand new one in, tightened the bolt and connected the wire. I turned the key and.....no start. It still cranks over but won't start. But, since I put the new sensor in, it coughs a little bit while it is cranking over like it wants to start. I opened the hood back up and unscrewed the fuel line slightly to see if it had fuel pressure, and with just a few turns gas squirted out of the line. I'm as stumped as when I started.

·
Premium Member
2004 C230 Kompressor, 1995 C220, 1961 190SL
75 Posts
problem starting

Genustri,

I have a similar starting problem like the one you described on your ML with my C220. I was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of your problem?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a intermittent starting problem with my ML 320. It would die on me as soon as the temp gauge goes above the 80 mark and would only start after i let it cool for 10-15 mins. I changed the Crank position sensor and it worked. I got it replaced at a local mechanic for 211 including taxes. Ray catena wanted 350 + taxes. They charged me 190 dollars for changing stop light switch to get the ETS light off on my Dash.

I want to know which is the best recommended engine oil for ML 320 year 1999 with 115k miles.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Sounds like classic CPS (crank position sensor) failure. If it has never been replaced, that would be the first thing I would replace. My 2 cents. :thumbsup:
Gentlemen,

I have read the original poster's problem with interest because my mother's '98 ML320 would not start either (on the first crank but would on the second crank EVERYTIME)

I discussed this with an experienced member of this Forum and he advised me to change the fuel filter.

I did so today and BINGO! The ML starts immediately on the first crank everytime.

So it may be a good idea for genustri and other members with the same problem to change the fuel filter and see.

ps. From genustri's post it seems the ML was not starting on a COLD start not a HOT start as typical of CPS problems which might explain why changing his CPS did not help in this instance - He never had CPS problems.

Hope this helps someone:)

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Sometimes there is a glitch in recognizing the key fob. Try the valet key and see if it starts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts