Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Mercedes ML320, 1999 model and I have a problem that has been driving me crazy for months.

There is a vibration from the rear which in fact turned out to be 3 seperate noises.

First was the transmission mount which has been replaced. Noise eliminated.

Second was the rear door (boot lid). Striker faulty apparently common problem. Noise solved.

The third and final noise is one we cannot diagnose. When i accelerate and drive it is fine but if i release the accelerator there is a vibration like a metal clanging.

One garage thinks it could be the rear axle shaft and the other garage thinks it may be the prop shaft.

I have always had a slight vibration when accelerating but there was no noise and i always put this down to a dodgy bearing but this noise is highly irritating.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like it is a bad rear drive shaft support bearing. A common part you can pick up from ebay. You might also need to balanace the shift after you replace it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,659 Posts
In all probability, your Center Support Bearing needs to be replaced. The U-joints on either end of the drive shaft are not replaceable, but they rarely go. The U-joint in the illustration only fits the center support bearing.

Manually check the movement in all directions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately, i did this replacement before i actually saw the procedures and now i have a vibration. So, given that I didnt pay attention on a prior replacement of the center bearing, is there a simple method of getting back to a properly balanced assembly installed within the vehicle. What am i trying to say is that i have lost the original orientation and i believe that is why i have vibrations and humming at certain highway speeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts