Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have a 2000 ML320 with an ongoing power steering problem. When stationary and parking; I have a very hard time turning the steering wheel. However once I step on the gas, power steering comes back immediately. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? :confused:

My suspicions are clogging of the hoses or the power steering rack. However, I am sure that the p/s pump and p/s fluid are perfectly okay. There are also no strange noises coming from the p/s pump either. Please get back asap.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I'm not an expert but do this quick test.

With the engine running and the truck stationary, try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock whilst gently and consistently accelerating the truck to 2000 rpms.

IF the steering effort eases with the increased engine revs, you may need a new power steering pump.

But also wait for more opinions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the exact same problem now as well. When I tried to park or stationary , I had a hard time turning the steering wheel. However i don't have any problem while driving. Could this be a power steering pump problem ? ( some shop told me it may be "rack and pinion" and the replacement is $2700 !!! Ouch )

·
Registered
3 Posts
updates. I followed FAR888's suggestion since the steering wheel turn normally when above 2000 rpms. I asked the shop to check the oring and reservior first, later they replaced the entire P/S pump and the problem is gone..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts