Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S430
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my wife a 2000 ML320. Last year. Earlier this year she broke the key off in the ignition. For a while she was able to put the half she had on the fob into the ignition it would meet with the other half in there and the ignition would turn and the truck would start, as it is now that doesnt work anymore. I have tried to get the other half out of the ignition and I actually ended up damaging the ignition. So now we need a new key and a ignition. Last week my uncle went to a insurance auction and got a wrecked 2000 ML320. He said I could have the ignition and the key and the he would help me install the ignition and put the key on my fob. My question is once we install the new ignition is there anything additional that needs to be done and will this actually work? Thanks in advance for your help and advice

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,455 Posts
I said you needed a special tool to remove it, so instead of buying it or hiring someone who has one, you decided to damage it? What's the point of asking for advice if you don't take it? --> http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/2014985-ml320-steering-column.html#post8820137

It might work, but if your key is out of synch with the immobilizer system codes, then you'll be up for a new key. More expensive than the lock cylinder removal tool.

·
Registered
2000 S430
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard you and thanks for the advice. At the time I wasn't trying to remove the ignition only the broken portion of the key. If I do install a used ignition that has the key, I may have to have it programmed? Its that what you are saying?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,455 Posts
At the time I wasn't trying to remove the ignition only the broken portion of the key.
Yes, and the way you remove the key fragment is by removing the lock cylinder. Using the special tool. Never mind, it's done now.

If the key is out of synch, there is no known way to program it that is less expensive than buying a new key. Just swap the ignition lock and hope that the key still works.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,118 Posts
The ignition key/keyfob consists of 3 separate parts or functions.
First and most obvious is the mechanical key blade and associated lock cylinder. There is NO programming of the key blade or cylinder. Just remember, if the blade and cylinder are changed the key will no longer work in the door unless you change that lock cylinder also.

Secondly there is the remote locking and and unlocking buttons. Completely separate function from the key blade. This function does need to be programmed.

Third there is an RFID chip in the key fob, completely separate from the key blade and remote functions. This RFID chip communicates with the DAS (Driver Authorization System) which, if correct, will allow the ignition to remain running. This function must be programmed to your ML

So, having said all that, If you change the lock cylinder and change the key blade on your existing key fob to the new key, everything should work OK.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,341 Posts
One other approach is if your fob is still working is to just swap the metal blade. It is held on near the pivot of the "switchblade" part of the metal and is held in with a tiny roll pin.

Knocking out the roll pin and swapping the blades is much less hassle than doing a full out electronics transplant from one fob to the other.

Do you plan to get you door locks set up to work with the key you are getting? If the batteries die in the remote fob and you do not have the valet key you will be locked out of your truck until a dealer can get you a valet key for about $75.

·
Registered
2000 S430
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fob never ever worked to open the doors or to lock them. I believe we replaced tha batteries and it still did not unlock or lock the doors. But we were always able to unlock the doors, start and drive with only the metal blade key attached to the fob I was planning on putting the metal blade from the wrecked truck on my fob. And either get a second fob or a spare original key or both

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML63 2007
4,148 Posts
Your FOB most probably didn't work because you didn't sync your remote. The sync procedure is in the PDF. After syncing don't remove the battery!!! Remember you key is broken . If the remote goes out of sync you will be locked out!!!
PS. On the second thought you wont be able to sync now......you don't have a key to turn to pos.2

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML430 Skyview
73 Posts
I have a fully working key and a spare which will not lk/unlk remotely. Followed the resync procedure and that didn't work but the RFID function works(car starts), are there any other suggestions I can try to get the second remote working?

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML63 2007
4,148 Posts
I have a fully working key and a spare which will not lk/unlk remotely. Followed the resync procedure and that didn't work but the RFID function works(car starts), are there any other suggestions I can try to get the second remote working?
Try changing the battery & syncing

·
Registered
2000 ML430 Skyview
73 Posts
I used the batteries that were in the working key and put new batteries in there, it continues to work as expected. I can go get "new" batteries for the spare key but have every reason to expect them to be fine, maybe a little weak but working minutes before! I'm afraid I'm still unclear after reading so much on this subject, do I just have a bad key and should shop for a new one? Or is there some sense in taking my spare to the dealer and letting them test/pgm it? Since my key starts the ML I think the answer is the former but wanted your experts opinion.

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML63 2007
4,148 Posts
Have you followed the sync instructions? Repeat it & follow the instructions to the tee. Change the batteries so that there are no what ifs......

·
Registered
2000 ML430 Skyview
73 Posts
Art, thanks for helping! New batteries, resync procedure followed, the same result. Btw, I don't know what ATA light blinking means, my good key and this spare make the same lights go on and both start the car. Do you think a dealer trip is worthwhile, that they can pgm it or do I just have a bad key, please advise.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,900 Posts
Art, thanks for helping! New batteries, resync procedure followed, the same result. Btw, I don't know what ATA light blinking means, my good key and this spare make the same lights go on and both start the car. Do you think a dealer trip is worthwhile, that they can pgm it or do I just have a bad key, please advise.
Please UPDATE YOUR PROFILE in USER CP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML63 2007
4,148 Posts
In post #7 Mike explained nicely about the parts of the key. In your case it means your spare key has a bad/damaged lock/unlock board.
The lights going on means the RFID part of the key is recognised by the DAS. That is how it is supposed to be.
Check one thing.....open the battery compartment & make sure the negative clip is properly touching the battery & the polarity is correct.
If you go to the dealer they are going to do the exact resync procedure & after failing you will be told you need a new key.
In the worst case you can get a second hand key remove the board & replace it with your board & resync it. You MUST NOT change the chip. ONLY the electronic board.
PS please update your profile so we know which car we are dealing with. You will get far better help by doing that.

·
Registered
2000 S430
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry man,I have two mercedes a S430 and a Ml320. Here is the situation I am faced with now. I got a used ml320 ignition that also had the key/blade. I changed the ignition and put the matching key/blade on my fob... tried starting the car and I kept getting a Start Error message. Took the fob to the dealership and was told the fob was bad/damaged and I needed a new one. I paid $175 for a new fob and the dealership is going to put my existing key/blade on the new fob. I was then told that the new fob had to be programmed once the dealership got it and that the only way to program it was to have the truck with the fob present together at the dealership. My problem is if I cannot start and drive to the dealership its going to be hard to get the vehicle there. Especially since the dealership is 30 some odd miles away from my house towing will cost a fortune, so what are my options? Please help!!!!

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE, 2015 GL63 AMG
563 Posts
Sorry man,I have two mercedes a S430 and a Ml320. Here is the situation I am faced with now. I got a used ml320 ignition that also had the key/blade. I changed the ignition and put the matching key/blade on my fob... tried starting the car and I kept getting a Start Error message. Took the fob to the dealership and was told the fob was bad/damaged and I needed a new one. I paid $175 for a new fob and the dealership is going to put my existing key/blade on the new fob. I was then told that the new fob had to be programmed once the dealership got it and that the only way to program it was to have the truck with the fob present together at the dealership. My problem is if I cannot start and drive to the dealership its going to be hard to get the vehicle there. Especially since the dealership is 30 some odd miles away from my house towing will cost a fortune, so what are my options? Please help!!!!
I'd suggest you drive (a different vehicle) to the dealer, pick up the new fob and do the blade swap yourself (super easy). Then, you'll be able to start the ML. Then, you drive the ML back to the dealer so they can do the programming.

Confuse? Don't be.
The RFID chip that comes with the new fob is already programmed to start your ML. The programming that the dealer referred to is programming of the remote Lock/Unlock feature!...which should already be included in that $175 price tag.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.