Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320 W163 - 164.531
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me difference between 36-00024-AN Fuel Pump and a 36-00024-ON Fuel Pump? Looking online, the AN pump is much cheaper than the ON and I am not sure which one to purchase.
I have a problem with the engine shutting off after running for a short while. I have replaced the fuel filter and pulled the fuel pump to inspect it. Everything looks to be in working order but I could not find a part number on the fuel pump. Also, I have found that if I shift the car into neutral and crank the engine, it fires right up. Could there be a switch on the transmission or shifter that is going bad?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
I don't know the answer to your specific question....but you might be interested in this SI from the WIS about fuel pump replacement on W163.

That is, if your engine No/serial No is included in the SI references. :thumbsup:

Of course, the modification might already have been done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
re; Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

i suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge to see if your issues are indeed fuel delivery related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Through all of the troubleshooting that I have done, the fuel system has maintained pressure at the fuel rail. I read the SI on W163 and if I am reading it correctly, I do not have a retrofitted pump. The part number that I get off of the pump is A163 470 10 94. I will have to gain access to the filter again to be able to get the number off of it.
Is there some sort of a fuel shutoff switch integrated in the shifter or tranmission. The car will run for hours in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
Is there some sort of a fuel shutoff switch integrated in the shifter or tranmission.
None that I can find on the drawings...

btw - if you have to use the larger fuel filter (with pressure regulator) the fuel lines will need to be modified accordingly. I have a WIS drawing that covers this work - if you require it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I might need the info but I will need to check out the filter to see what I have first.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
10,093 Posts
Can anyone tell me difference between 36-00024-AN Fuel Pump and a 36-00024-ON Fuel Pump? Looking online, the AN pump is much cheaper than the ON and I am not sure which one to purchase.
I have a problem with the engine shutting off after running for a short while. I have replaced the fuel filter and pulled the fuel pump to inspect it. Everything looks to be in working order but I could not find a part number on the fuel pump. Also, I have found that if I shift the car into neutral and crank the engine, it fires right up. Could there be a switch on the transmission or shifter that is going bad?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Through all of the troubleshooting that I have done, the fuel system has maintained pressure at the fuel rail. I read the SI on W163 and if I am reading it correctly, I do not have a retrofitted pump. The part number that I get off of the pump is A163 470 10 94. I will have to gain access to the filter again to be able to get the number off of it.
Is there some sort of a fuel shutoff switch integrated in the shifter or tranmission. The car will run for hours in the driveway.
If fuel pump maintains rail pressure why are you looking for for replacement? Fuel delivery is only 1/3 of equation. What about spark, air and injection pulse.

There is contradiction between two posts describing your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts