Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, ml 320 year 2000. After engine is warm the car will suddenly drop in rpm and nearly stall but come back to normal. It occasionally stalls as I step on the gas pedal from a stop. Will restart after a few minutes and drive fine. No check engine light and MAF was changed recently. Is this anything to do with the cps sensor?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
Almost sounds like its starving from fuel. If you can get the car scanned for codes that may help pinpoint it. Normally your CKP sensor will just stop the engine once warm and then restart after it cools a little. Or not run at all , If when it stops from this problem when your turning it over check to see if the tacho moves, if it doesn't it will be the CKP sensor. If it does move probably will be a fuel pump and or filter.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Why did you change the MAF? Did you have a fuel trim range code? If so, there's a big clue there.

·
Premium Member
16,711 Posts
Yes, it could be the CKP Sensor, but usually with the early models you would need two faults in driving cycles.

Does your CEL illuminate when you turn the key to pos. #2?

The first two things to check are:

a. the Throttle Valve for carbon buildup especially at the throttle plate or the presence of oil. Must use mirror as it faces the rear.

b. all hoses at the top of the engine and those in the rear, for cracks and hardness. Replace any that are in question.

Regardless of the outcome, reset the Throttle Valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it could be the CKP Sensor, but usually with the early models you would need two faults in driving cycles.

Does your CEL illuminate when you turn the key to pos. #2?

The first two things to check are:

a. the Throttle Valve for carbon buildup especially at the throttle plate or the presence of oil. Must use mirror as it faces the rear.

b. all hoses at the top of the engine and those in the rear, for cracks and hardness. Replace any that are in question.

Regardless of the outcome, reset the Throttle Valve.
Cel does illuminate when key is in pos 2. I will do what you said and hope it gets fixed!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost sounds like its starving from fuel. If you can get the car scanned for codes that may help pinpoint it. Normally your CKP sensor will just stop the engine once warm and then restart after it cools a little. Or not run at all , If when it stops from this problem when your turning it over check to see if the tacho moves, if it doesn't it will be the CKP sensor. If it does move probably will be a fuel pump and or filter.
Tach moves with engine. I've had a little issue with the engine semi firing at start but not actually starting. It's hard to explain but the engine splutters and does not respond to throttle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooooo, I also forgot to say that I was not at hand when the incident happened and now have. All lights on dash turn and engine turns off not stall. Car will crank but not start immediately after wards. After a few minutes car starts up fine. No cel either. I'm guessing this is the cps? I couldn't pay attention to the tach so I couldn't see if it failed. Ugh Sorry I am forgetting so many things that needed to be said.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had the same situation on my 2003 ML320. Symptoms exactly the same. When crankshaft position sensor goes bad it usually starts failing in higher temperature and comes back to normal when temperature drops a little. I have replaced CKP and problem gone since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Whitenoise
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing