Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S600 AMG, 67 Corvette, 71 Hemi Cuda
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ML320 and a couple weeks ago the FOB quit working so I changed the batteries and still no good.

Went to the dealer, $200.00 for the key and $200.00 to program it.

Figured I would wait and just lock the car manually. LOL

A few minutes later the car unlocks itself and does it again every 5-10 minutes.

All the actuators are working and so the battery won't go dead and the car remains locked I've been disconnecting the battery. I pulled all the relays and fuses too.

Is there a way to disable the auto lock feature?

Does anybody know where the main control unit is for the door lock system ? All I can think of is maybe the unit thinks the cars is stopping and its signalling for the doors to unlock.

Thanks

·
Registered
300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
399 Posts
Seems that its most likely the key fob, and that price seems expensive, shop around. Try independents as well. Does it unlock after 5-10 minutes with you around the car? Have you tried possibly locking it, and putting the key very much out of range and waiting to see if it unlocks again.

Could be the door lock control unit playing up, thats what I've seen happen once. Sorry If I can't help much...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering where the door lock control is?

I tried taking the keys very far away and the car keeps unlocking. I wasn't sure if its the fob sending the signal or the key but I took the batteries out of the fob.

Locked it using the key on both door and still it unlocks. Locked it using the power door lock switch and still unlocks.

I took the keys to work with me and had them lock it. It unlocked itself again.

Too crazy.

So now I lock it and disconnect the battery.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
399 Posts
Take it to an indie mercedes independent, that way it won't burst the bank fund wise, have them check the electronics and the door lock control. Its the best thing to do, and possibly the only thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, looks like the best route. I think its the door control. All the latches are working and it just keeps popping them to open when in park. Its fine when is moving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the input.

It got to be that I had to remove fuse 42 just to keep the ML320 locked although it still would try to unlock and the interior lights would come on through out the day and night no matter what.

I moved relays all around and fuses. All made no difference.

Then I bought a service manual and started looking through it and most things point to the All Activities Module or AAM. I checked pricing on the AAM but it still had to be programmed by MB.

I broke down and paid a $170.00 fee to the local dealer to diagnose it. They came up with the AAM too. I spoke with the tech and he said that the AAM was not reading anything on the car. It apparently died. So a new AAM is ordered and it will be installed this week. $1200.00 $400.00 for the AAM, the diagnostic time, install and programming.

The AAM on Jan 01 to Feb 01 ML320 vehicles were bad and were replaced. This ML being built in March had the better AAM :eek: I guess!

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Go back to the dealer and demand they fix it, $200 for the remote is fair, but the $200 labor is excessive. I assume this is not a Smart Key. The shop computer can read codes, do you have more than one remote? My 99 ML had locking issues, they experimented by replacing the locks, and then burned up the AAM it finally turned out to be a bad actuator in the tailgate. Indie mechanix have very little skill and tools to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
It could be the AAM (N10) - but probably is not.

From WIS for your model:

"When the driver's door is opened, (from the inside) the fuel filler cap is unlocked if the driver's door has been locked previously.

The All-activity-module AAM (N10) recognises that the driver's door is unlocked by the right front door microswitch (M14/5s1). It then unlocks the driver's door group and the fuel filler cap electrically."

So your spurious door unlocking could be caused by a faulty microswitch in the door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts