Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 1998 ML320 and while driving one day all of a sudden my ABS, ETS and parking brake lights turned on as well as a beeping sound. The beeping sound only goes when the car is in motion but when I stop the beeping stops but the lights stay on. Nothing seems to be wrong with the car and after taking it to a repair shop and they ran tests no error codes showed up. I've read lots of posts about similar things such as ABS, ETS and BAS/ESP lights coming on but none that quite matched my problem.

I replaced the brake light switch today with no prevail and also tried disconnecting the battery to restart things, no luck. Any help or input on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Friend,

I have exactly the same problem and still suffering from that beeping the ETS light indicator which goes off after moving or restart the car again,
Please let me know if you have solved your problem as I have paid so much, I changed the brake switch & pads with no work.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
This happened to my 98 ML320 yesterday. It turns out I did have a burned out middle brake light (the one on the rear door that uses the P21W bulb). I really don't know if that is the cause of the problem or not, because even before I changed the bulb, I turned off the engine, turned it back on and drove around the block and the lights and beeping did not come back. So not really sure but I have driven about 50 miles since then and have stopped/restarted the car quite a few times since then. So far so good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We just started with similar symptoms this weekend. '98 ML320 (maroon). I don't drive it much. My son reported ABS, ETS and parking brake lights lights on but the brake was not engaged. I took it out and only the parking brake light stayed on with the beep. I fiddled with the brake on pedal and it has stopped for now. I am guessing a loose connection in my case so far.

But we have been having weird problems like headlight dims not working unless you first engage brights, and turn signals affecting headlights. I was afraid this parking brake light was an escalation of some electrical bogey.

Did you guys ever solve your problems?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do not know if you can see my message. I have exact systems that you had. Would you please let me know if you finally fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
To be honest I don't recall the brake light problem well but the headlight and turn signal issues got so bad I had someone replace the control thing that sits on top of the steering column. All those problems went away. I give most repairs a try myself. This being electrical with a steep downside if it went bad, I paid a local STS about $400 I think. I think that was split between the part and labor. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be honest I don't recall the brake light problem well but the headlight and turn signal issues got so bad I had someone replace the control thing that sits on top of the steering column. All those problems went away. I give most repairs a try myself. This being electrical with a steep downside if it went bad, I paid a local STS about $400 I think. I think that was split between the part and labor. Good luck.
Thank so much for quick reply. I will post my result after fixing. Hongjun

·
Registered
109 Posts
have you checked the brake fluid lever?? Just a guess to throw out there. Also, check that the parking brake is not engauged or that that switch is not going bad. Just some ideas to thow out ther for you

Cheers!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Abs light on with parking brake beep and RF no bleeding

have you checked the brake fluid lever?? Just a guess to throw out there. Also, check that the parking brake is not engauged or that that switch is not going bad. Just some ideas to thow out ther for you

Cheers!!
I did pressure bleeding after replacing abs unit. No brake from RF bleeder was due to the fault of abs hydraulic block. After replacing, all lights are off and no beeping.
Thank you all for the inputs,
Hongjun

·
Registered
1 Posts
ML320 ABS, ETS and parking brake light on With beeping

I know this is an old thread, and the topic is long. But, I had the same thing happen to me earlier this week (same thing that the first poster mentioned). I was so focused on something big being the cause, I overlooked the obvious. I added some brake fluid (it was low), and the issue went away (I hope I do not jinx it by posting this). Maybe others will find this helpful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I drive a 1999 ML320, When i start my car, everything is working normal, When i depress the Break just to move the shiftier lever, Boom all of a sudden my BAS, ESP-ETS lights turned on. as i accelerate, the next time i depress the break,The i can feel the break pedal kick back and a dragging then comes on the ABS and parking brake light and The beeping sound,,,at this point the car goes into limp mode, stock in the first gear, Sometimes you can feel the car hesitate to move and pick up,,,if i stop and turn the Engine off and on again all light goes out. it looks normal until i depress the break,,, and it is just a repeat of same thing. when I stop the beeping stops but the lights parking and all other light stay on. after taking it to a repair shop and they ran tests no error codes showed up. I've read lots of posts about similar things such as ABS, ETS and BAS/ESP lights coming on but none that quite matched my car's problem.

changed break pads, Disk, spend sensors. still no difference.

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
Before throwing more parts at it please have the codes read with a scan tool that read all MB proprietary codes.
It really sound like an electronics issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts