Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I am from the Netherlands and I have a ML 320 from 1999.

Since I bought the car a few months ago, The car does not want to start the first time, I start it, the motor sometimes runs and shuts down immediately, or does not start at all. The second time it starts perfectly. No lights on the dashboard comes on.

I already replaced the CPS a couple of days ago, so that couldn't be the problem.

I also put a bottle of wynns injection cleaner, but no help.

It runs perfect on gasoline and on liquid petroleum gas. No stalling when idle running.

Do I have to clean the MAF sensor? Or could something else be the problem ?

Thank you for your help!

Gr,
Richard

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,468 Posts
The symptoms might be of failing key chip. Observe blinking LED on the dashboard while starting the truck. More info in old topics. Or use another key to check it.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 / 2005 C230 / 2004 E320 4matic wagon
92 Posts
I had a similar problem a few months after I bought mine. Turned out to be the Fuel pump in my case.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,037 Posts
Agree with Kajtek, it is probably a key recognition problem within the DAS (Drive Authorization System. You had better hope it isn't because it is VERY expensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried starting it, and looked at the LED. but no flickering at all.

So it could be a bad key, or a bad fuel pump.

problem is i have only one key, so i cannot test it with another.

it seems i will have to visit the dealer .

any comments or advice appreciated.

greettngs richard.

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
Possibility is that when the engine is off, a valve in the fuel line/pump component is leaking pressure/gas so the gas has to be re-pressurized/pumped on the first ignition time, and then once pressurized, it starts ok on the second try and ok after the engine starts....

I guess measuring the fuel pressure on the fuel rail over a long period of time, after turning the ignition off, may show if this is the problem..?

We heard several cases of this problem over the years. Though, I can't remember the exact valve/part location.

AC

·
Registered
ml 320 1998
213 Posts
pump

i had the same fault only mine used to flattern the battery, i had to start it so many times, changed the pump, starts first time,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to inform you, the problem has been fixed. I took the car to the dealer today, and changed the fuel-filter, along with the installation of the fuel-filter updates.

The car starts without any problems now.! Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Just to inform you, the problem has been fixed. I took the car to the dealer today, and changed the fuel-filter, along with the installation of the fuel-filter updates.

The car starts without any problems now.! Thanks for helping!
I'm glad you got your problem fixed.

Incidentally my mother's '98 ML320 was doing the exact same thing as yours and your remedy was exactly the same thing we did too.

ie. Changed the fuel filter.

It would also make good financial sense for those who have this problem in the future to change the fuel filter first (since it's cheaper) before changing the fuel pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts