Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 MB CLK500 AMG CONVT.
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 ml320 6 cilinder and it start some wierd staff to do,,
it starts then i go for 45,1,or 1.5 hr driving and then it stops! the water tank is okay,,oil ok,fuses ok,gas the premium in it ,, everything is okay,,it drive the temp stays okay,, but after some time it just stops ,the motor goes dead,,
then if i leaved for 1 hr,,then it starts again ,,and it does the same thing all over again in 6 years it never did this before,,,

i know i have the check engine light on also,,i have a digital engine check code,,and when i put the think is tell me that the code is::::E::: !,,but no info on that...
i have no clue what is going on!,,i may have to go to a place to rent the obd II scanner that checks more staff like emision sensors and more,,maybe i can find the problem,,
i even take the battery cablers out to reset the computer and after some time it comeback,,,
any help i appreciate!

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
What is a "digital engine check code"?

Take it to your local AutoZone or Pepboys, they will read the codes for free (using a OBD-II code reader). Post those codes on this board, others can help you with that info.

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
i have a 2002 ml320 6 cilinder and it start some wierd staff to do,,
it starts then i go for 45,1,or 1.5 hr driving and then it stops! the water tank is okay,,oil ok,fuses ok,gas the premium in it ,, everything is okay,,it drive the temp stays okay,, but after some time it just stops ,the motor goes dead,,
then if i leaved for 1 hr,,then it starts again ,,and it does the same thing all over again in 6 years it never did this before,,,

i know i have the check engine light on also,,i have a digital engine check code,,and when i put the think is tell me that the code is::::E::: !,,but no info on that...
i have no clue what is going on!,,i may have to go to a place to rent the obd II scanner that checks more staff like emision sensors and more,,maybe i can find the problem,,
i even take the battery cablers out to reset the computer and after some time it comeback,,,
any help i appreciate!

Probaby a failing CPS. Common problem that leaves no codes. My 2 cents. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Classic symptom of a failed CPS. Quit when hot then will restart when it cools down. Your code for the CEL is most likely another problem that is not related to the CPS as the CPS does not throw a code.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for replying,

what is "cps" or ""cel""

i check with a digital check engine light that i have few times and i get the ""E"" code
but tomrrow i will go to autozone to get the real obd 2 scanner to see because that proably will read more info,,them my junk that i have

thanks

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
most likely the crank position sensor. one member here had the same problem and i think it was that. for me, i changed it because my car would not start cause of the "hot engine." changed it and all is good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after the car stops,,i turn the key and the engine turns but does not start,,like i dont have gas in it,,

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i called autozone and they said ,,not avaible" everybody else is closed,,
i will call same other places towmmorow..

and a other thing ,,my wife tell me that by mistake she put the lowest grade fuel,,87 i gues,,gi,,
so then after the car died i was and fill the thing with premium... maybe this is other problem,,but i alraidy drive the thing about 25 miles like that ,,i thing the old 87 gas is gone by now?!,,

thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
What I think this member is trying to say is that he sees START ERROR in the odometer window, and if that is the case he has a DAS problem.

But maybe I can shed some light on the fact that a Crank Position Sensor will throw a code, but will not illuminate the CEL. Codes P0335, 36, 37, 38 & 39 are all reserved for the crank sensor. Members have been conditioned to believe that if the CEL does not illuminate then there are no codes stored, and that is not the case. The CEL has been programmed to illuminate when any fault exists which will impact the environment (emissions). This is why a scanner should be hooked up to the vehicle whenever there is a driveability problem, so hidden, or non illuminating codes, can be read.

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,148 Posts
Ditto the CPS. BUT, if you're unable to get a code to display with an illuminated CEL, it could be a bad computer (ECM). Rare but not impossible. It happened to a used car dealer friend who bought a C-Class. CEL lit, could pull no codes. It read there was a 'communication fault' on the reader. It was the computer. I hope that is not the case.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok,i rent the obd2 scanner from autozone,,the one i have did not pick up the code but this yap,,,it did

and i got ""P0335"" --cranckshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction--

so that means is the cps? are they two sensors or just one?,,and where are they located,,,?

i called napa 90$ ((part nr# css9028)) 3-5 days to order,,anywhere else cheaper?,,

thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Go to any M/B dealer and buy one. Why wait 3-5 days. The CPS is located under the hood where the engine and transmission meet. It is a bit of a pain to install and you will need a female torx socket #E8 to remove the only bolt. Here is a diagram of its location; it is more towards the driver's side.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yap,it was the cps
problem solved
thanks to all:thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yap,,i was happy with changing the sensor cps only,,
thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
anyone has a better picture of where this is at or how to get to it? I have 2002 ML500
Here is another picture. The CKP sensor is on the bell housing behind the driver's cylinder head. In this latest photo it is pictured above the middle of the brake fluid reservoir.

On the 500 you will have to remove the left front wheel and the fender liner to gain access.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts