Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ML320 model 1998 with the original Bose cassette player and radio. I want to listen to music from my iPod in the car so I bought a cassette adapter with a 3,5mm jack connector. That didn't work, the cassette player kept ejecting the cassette after a few seconds. I googled the problem and many people were having this issue and the way to solve it was to take the cassette adapter a part and remove a small piece, some kind of a gear I think, that controlled the auto ejecting mechanism. I tried that with no luck. The cassette adapter I used was some no-name brand, I think it was called Hamm or something like that.

Anyway, so I returned the cassette adapter and got an FM transmitter instead. Then I faced a new problem. The transmitter plugs into the cigarette lighter socket but it doesn't fit tightly, it's really loose and loses connection.

I have the exact same problem as this fellow: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1337442-help-ml320-cigarette-lighter-issue.html

I've seen people talk about getting some plastic sleeves to put on the plug but I can't seem to find any online.

Have any of you guys faced similar problems? I really want to be able to play my own tunes in the car without replacing the original radio/cassette player....and no, recording songs to original cassettes is not an option :rolleyes:

Have you guys used any of these cassette adapters successfully?

·
Registered
08 C300
300 Posts
I bought one from BestBuy here in American and it been working perfect for over a year. I would suggest buying another one from a good store, not just some random off-brand one. BTW dont use the radio transmitters because from my experience, it sucked

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I would prefer to use the cassette adapter, I don't really like the FM transmitters either. Perhaps I'll buy another cassette adapter and see if another brand works better, they're usually pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
I grabbed a magic jack cell phone thing for $1.99 at the store. Not sure they make them anymore. It came with about 10 adapters. One of which is the 3.5mm one needed. The sound is actually pretty good and really depends on which frequency you use and where you have the device in the car. Closer is not always better. And surprisingly it even works as advertised on the cell phone. Now I just need a shamwow and a slapchopper and I'll have the complete set :D

On one of the dutch ml webpages there are instructions for doing the cassette that give you a few options. One disables the motors and eject mechanism so you don't even need the empty cassette deck. The other was probably the one you found with soldering the wires into the connector. I was just looking at a box that replaces the cd stack. It lets you use sd cards etc instead of the disks.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Wait can you explain more how this majic jack thing worked, pics would also help. Don't mean to be a bother though

I grabbed a magic jack cell phone thing for $1.99 at the store. Not sure they make them anymore. It came with about 10 adapters. One of which is the 3.5mm one needed. The sound is actually pretty good and really depends on which frequency you use and where you have the device in the car. Closer is not always better. And surprisingly it even works as advertised on the cell phone. Now I just need a shamwow and a slapchopper and I'll have the complete set :D

On one of the dutch ml webpages there are instructions for doing the cassette that give you a few options. One disables the motors and eject mechanism so you don't even need the empty cassette deck. The other was probably the one you found with soldering the wires into the connector. I was just looking at a box that replaces the cd stack. It lets you use sd cards etc instead of the disks.

·
Registered
2004 w211 E320 base
136 Posts
I have a ML320 model 1998 with the original Bose cassette player and radio. I want to listen to music from my iPod in the car so I bought a cassette adapter with a 3,5mm jack connector. That didn't work, the cassette player kept ejecting the cassette after a few seconds. I googled the problem and many people were having this issue and the way to solve it was to take the cassette adapter a part and remove a small piece, some kind of a gear I think, that controlled the auto ejecting mechanism. I tried that with no luck. The cassette adapter I used was some no-name brand, I think it was called Hamm or something like that.

Anyway, so I returned the cassette adapter and got an FM transmitter instead. Then I faced a new problem. The transmitter plugs into the cigarette lighter socket but it doesn't fit tightly, it's really loose and loses connection.

I have the exact same problem as this fellow: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1337442-help-ml320-cigarette-lighter-issue.html

I've seen people talk about getting some plastic sleeves to put on the plug but I can't seem to find any online.

Have any of you guys faced similar problems? I really want to be able to play my own tunes in the car without replacing the original radio/cassette player....and no, recording songs to original cassettes is not an option :rolleyes:

Have you guys used any of these cassette adapters successfully?
WHAT THE gear that controlled the auto ejecting mechanism LOOKS LIKE ? CAN YOU POST A PIC OR A LINK THAT GUIDE YOU THROU THIS PROCESS?? THX IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Thats some serious spelling/grammar/caps thing u got going on there ganimo.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
WHAT THE gear that controlled the auto ejecting mechanism LOOKS LIKE ? CAN YOU POST A PIC OR A LINK THAT GUIDE YOU THROU THIS PROCESS?? THX IN ADVANCE.
There are several videos on youtube. Some people just remove a rubber washer in the cassette to fix the problem, other remove the whole gear.

This guy for instance only rubs down the washer and then the cassette adapter stops ejecting.

I've tried both methods, removing the washer, rubbing the washer down, removing the whole gear. It's still the same, ejects after a few seconds after I insert it into the cassette player.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I just need a shamwow and a slapchopper and I'll have the complete set :D
LOL! My wife bought the slap chopper a few years ago I think. Holy shit, it was absolutely 100% useless. We unpacked it, tried it and then sent it back. Should be called slapjam, all of the stuff jams in it and nothing gets chopped.

·
Registered
2004 w211 E320 base
136 Posts
haha

Thats some serious spelling/grammar/caps thing u got going on there ganimo.
hehe, i forgot my caps lock on, hehe, as off gramma sorry im just an immigrant , been here in the usa for 4 long years now, otherwise i dont think im that bad tho, i booked the GED on my second year here in USA...hhhh...so?? any help with the gear thingy that controls the auto-eject mechanism please?

·
Registered
2004 w211 E320 base
136 Posts
There are several videos on youtube. Some people just remove a rubber washer in the cassette to fix the problem, other remove the whole gear.
I've tried both methods, removing the washer, rubbing the washer down, removing the whole gear. It's still the same, ejects after a few seconds after I insert it into the cassette player.
thx iceman007, i will perform this process now and see if its gonna fix mine , i will let yall know ;)

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Wait can you explain more how this majic jack thing worked, pics would also help. Don't mean to be a bother though
It is pretty simple. You just find the 3.5 adapter that comes with the MJ and plug that into your headphone jack on your mp3 player, and then the magic jack into the adapter. The adapter has an extra ring on it for a microphone which we don't use here. Turn the majic jack and your mp3 player on. Now tune your radio to one of the two frequencies the majic jack works on. I think mine worked best on fm 89.3 and not as clear on the higher one. Then turn up the volume on your radio quite a bit and your will hear it. When I first turned it on I didn't think it had worked but the volume just had to be cranked up. I found it to be pretty clear as good as what I hear on my headphones on the same player. I was going to do the solder onto the connector mod on mine but this works well enough that i'm no longer going to. This works well on a ipod and my acer android tablet. So I can listen to tunes, watch movies, or use the gps.

One word of warning is to turn the volume down before changing stations etc other wise you get a taste of the volume the stock radio can put out (a whole lot more than you'd expect).

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought one from BestBuy here in American and it been working perfect for over a year. I would suggest buying another one from a good store, not just some random off-brand one. BTW dont use the radio transmitters because from my experience, it sucked
What brand is your cassette adapter? I would like to know before I purchase a new one for testing.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm actually thinking of just replacing the original Bose cassette player/radio, I think it's easier.

I found this on eBay. What do you guys think, should I buy it?
Pioneer MP3 CD AUX USB Radio Player Mercedes SLK Car Stereo Fitting Kit | eBay

I'm just a bit worried if the plugs on the back are the same or not. After I bought the ML320 here in Iceland in June I've run into some compatability issues with sockets and stuff like that. The electrical towing hitch socket is for instance different from the standard European plugs. Now I find out the 12v cigarette lighter socket is slightly bigger than on most cars so I'm bracing myself for trouble when I will try to replace the original Bose radio player.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,744 Posts
How was your experience with this equipment? Do you recommend it? How much did you pay for it?
I was very happy with the adapter. Worked just as advertised and no degradation or static in the output..sounded great !! I forget what it cost. I believe it was approx $100.00. According to the website you will have to call for pricing.

I will say that I have dealt with FOR MY MERCEDES many times over the years and have been very happy with their service ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts