Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,377 Posts
Sounds like a whole load of work for a simple job on any other car. I.ll scrap it and thats the mercedes love gone. Ive ran landrovers for years and kept em on the road with minimum fuss. My mercedes has had a high pressure pump. New fuel lines 5 injector seals a new alternator. A steering angle sensor. new auxilary belt and tensioner.

in 8 months. now the simplest repair is sending this to the junk yard...im done with ML,s. What a stupid system.
I am not here to relight you love for ML's but.
In post #10 I made comment that failure of BAS release switch A7/7s1 will also result in shifter stuck in Park. You have never bothered to comment.

·
Registered
2004 CLK500 (Wifes), (2) 2005 ML500SE, 2004 ML500, 2000 ML320, 2002 ML320
66 Posts
Witek, I used a partial ESP wiring diagram with my footnotes and descriptions for my son to use. the testing pdf is my creation.

interesting on the blue and black relays, have to consider that in the future. Thank you.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,377 Posts
Witek, I used a partial ESP wiring diagram with my footnotes and descriptions for my son to use. the testing pdf is my creation.

interesting on the blue and black relays, have to consider that in the future. Thank you.
Good job. It made me go back to wiring diagrams and look again. There is significant difference how k6 works for up to 2002 and from 2003. Here are footnotes.

k6_up_to_2002.png

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks, my dad always said to me that it is important to learn something new each day, being married
and on this site fulfills that promise for me.
when first looking at my ESP/BAS and no brake light problem in a new to me 2005 ML500 i purchased
a few months ago, i noticed that the wiring diagram i was using did not match, the ESP coupler was completely
different, the diagram was for the module in the fuse / relay box design.
Your help is always appreciated, best regards.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,377 Posts
Thanks, my dad always said to me that it is important to learn something new each day, being married
and on this site fulfills that promise for me.
when first looking at my ESP/BAS and no brake light problem in a new to me 2005 ML500 i purchased
a few months ago, i noticed that the wiring diagram i was using did not match, the ESP coupler was completely
different, the diagram was for the module in the fuse / relay box design.
Your help is always appreciated, best regards.
What are you using for diagrams? Web ETM or WIS?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used the WIS pe42.45-p-2000-99gk wiring diagram, it matched the ESP N47-5 pin layout on 03 to 05 ML's.

I had a problem with BAS/ESP ETS ABS warning lights that turned out to be quite a headache, not typical.
putting my notes together to post on the forum in a couple of weeks. fixed now with approx 700 miles with no
problems.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,115 Posts
Sounds like a whole load of work for a simple job on any other car. I.ll scrap it and thats the mercedes love gone. Ive ran landrovers for years and kept em on the road with minimum fuss. My mercedes has had a high pressure pump. New fuel lines 5 injector seals a new alternator. A steering angle sensor. new auxilary belt and tensioner.

in 8 months. now the simplest repair is sending this to the junk yard...im done with ML,s. What a stupid system.
It is your ML to do with what you wish. But to scrap it for what may be a simple repair after doing some diagnostic testing... why not sell it to some young bloke with time on his hand who could use a good ride? It seems ML's have a good following in the UK, unlike Land Rovers here in the US.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,115 Posts
Found this posting it for others that may have this issue:

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,377 Posts
Now that I have looked closer. Duh. Very simple circuit.

From circuit 15 > normally open relay k6 > fuse F1f15 > solder splice Z52/6. Trigger to close the relay comes from ESP module N47.

W163_brake_lights_as_of_09_2002.png

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,115 Posts
So for the brake light to function there are 3 switches that need to be triggered?

B34/1
A7/7b1
A7/7s1

I am asking this because last spring had a scare saw there was no pedal switch, brake lights out, turned out to be the fuse was blown.

Replaced no issue since.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,377 Posts
So for the brake light to function there are 3 switches that need to be triggered?

B34/1
A7/7b1
A7/7s1

I am asking this because last spring had a scare saw there was no pedal switch, brake lights out, turned out to be the fuse was blown.

Replaced no issue since.
In actual values stop lamp signal follows A7/7s1. Signal goes off/on simultaneously.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,115 Posts
I think we lost the OP on this one, almost feel like we should hold a memorial service for his ML!

Regards I saw this on another site and just wanted to add it here, though when my fuse blew it did not happen to me.

"4. Won’t come out of Park gear due to a defective brake light switch.

·
Registered
ml270 2003 w163.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
im here. just scrolling through and got the fuse box out. If all else fails i.ll wire a brake light switch into the circuit through a 30amp relay. Findings today. If a use my power probe 4 and introduce a live to fuse 15 my lights work. I can get under the fuse box and incorporate a relay fuse and switch myself. I.ll pop along later.

·
Registered
ml270 2003 w163.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
final update. lifted the fuse box out and found the main positive to the brake lights. Spliced into it and used a mercedes brake light switch. Chucked a relay into the circuit and a fuse. Lights now work with no detremental effects..
WISE MAN SAY.
GOOD BODGE ALWAYS BETTER THAN BAD REPAIR.
It works so im off now to get a set of injector seals then chuck it in for m.o.t. if it passes happy days.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,115 Posts
So you wired it back to the way the earlier models are?

If you get any brake warning lights popping up it will be beacause the defective switch in the newer system.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts