Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes ML 270 CDI Inspiration '03
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I need help to diagnose the problem with my ML 2003. Basically when you turn on the lights to Auto or to low beam the high beam comes On. Sometimes it comes on for good so the only way to switch it off is to remove relay and sometimes it’s flashing on end off until I remove the relay.
I went for diagnostic last week but no faults and they suggested changing the stalk which I did (and relay) but problem is still the same. Also I have noticed that when I turn lights to Auto and open driver side door High beam comes on. Any ideas please?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,987 Posts
Do you have Xenon headlights?

Did you make any changes which required wiring splicing?

Was everything working one day and not the next?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have xenon lights, didn't make any changes to wiring and like you say one day everything was fine next high beams started flashing. From time to time I am able to switch on low beams without high beam but after few minutes they come on.
I would really appreciate any suggestions on where to start serching.

·
Registered
ML 400 CDI
33 Posts
the sun sensor B32 on the dashboard above the steering wheel may be involved. you can drop it by pulling and cleaning. this sun sensor is also used for air conditioning. attention must be handled gently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned the sensor today but problem still remains :(

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,987 Posts

·
Registered
ML 400 CDI
33 Posts
I cleaned the sensor today but problem still remains :(
you open the probe by removing the two plastic notches and remove the electronic circuit. then clean the cell. Are you doing this?.
Then you must disconnect the battery 10 minutes. Reconnect the battery and you need to initialize the windows and sunroof. after this procedure should no longer your headlights turn on, if not the night.
I had this problem and I did this procedure.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,987 Posts
you open the probe by removing the two plastic notches and remove the electronic circuit. then clean the cell. Are you doing this?.
Then you must disconnect the battery 10 minutes. Reconnect the battery and you need to initialize the windows and sunroof. after this procedure should no longer your headlights turn on, if not the night.
I had this problem and I did this procedure.
bernie, I know you are trying to help, but the Sun Sensor plays no roll whatsoever in the lighting system.

Attachments

·
Registered
ML 400 CDI
33 Posts
you are right. sorry. the sun sensor is used only for A/C. but the rain sensor plays a role also for the automatic headlights. I do not understand is that I cleaned the sun sensor and that my headlights were reunited with their automation.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,143 Posts
you are right. sorry. the sun sensor is used only for A/C. but the rain sensor plays a role also for the automatic headlights. I do not understand is that I cleaned the sun sensor and that my headlights were reunited with their automation.
Sun sensor plays role in headlight automation but it only affects low beam, side lights and license plate lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
ML 400 CDI
33 Posts
le pdf joint par Witek_M confirme que sun sensor B32 est utilisé aussi pour les low beams.

The Automatic Driving Light Actuation automatically switches on the driving lights (side lamps, low beams and license plate
lamps), depending on the exterior lighting conditions (rain, snow, dusk and darkness).
Function prerequisites:
Exterior lamp switch in "AUTO" position
Circuit 15 "ON"
The sun sensor (B32) signals "Darkness" or the rain sensor (B38) signals "Rain"
Basic prerequisites for automatic driving light actuation are:
diminishing daylight intensity at dusk
darkness (tunnel, underground garage, ...)
rain or snowfall and
failure of rain/sun sensor ("Darkness" is signaled continuously)
Fog and other lighting influences, e.g., due to oncoming traffic, do not have any effect on the automatic driving light actuation.
Automatic driving light actuation when starting a journey and during it
Automatic driving light actuation with driving lights is only possible when the engine is running (circuit 61 ON).
When the engine is switched off and the electronic starter switch is in position "2" (circuit 15 ON) only the side lamps and the
license plate lamps are actuated.
Driving light actuation is disabled as soon as one of the basic prerequisites changes, e.g. when changing from darkness to
daylight after driving through a tunnel.
Automatic driving light actuation at the end of a journey or in darkness
After switching off the engine (circuit 61 OFF) and when the electronic starter switch is in position "2" (circuit 15 ON), only the side
lamps and the license plate lamps remain on.
The exterior lighting is switched off as of key position "1" (circuit 15R).

my bad English does not differentiate between low beam and headlight.sorry for this confusion. thank you Witek M.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last year you had a wiper problem, which could have been AAM related. How was it resolved?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1547009-ml-270-front-rear-wipers-problem.html

The reason I ask is that the high beams are activated by the AAM. Baring any wiring problems, e.g. partially fused wires, this could be a faulty AAM, since you have already changed the combination switch and the relay.

The problem with wipers and low beam lights (in Auto position) occurred after my windscreen was replaced. I suspect that sensor was not connected after replacement because when I called AutoGlass they came back and took them 5 min to sort it out. Unfortunately I was at work at that time and my girlfriend can't tell what they did.
The relay I have changed is K6 and also when I switch the lights to "position lights" high beam works fine. It comes on only in Auto and with low beam.

Thank you guys for all replys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone tell me please where AAM controller is lokated so I can maybe remove it and have a look. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I tried today to get to AAM but didn't have a tools to disconnect battery so I was only able to lift up a bit the whole fusebox and reconnect all plugs plugged to AAM. Behavior of high beam has changed and now when I switch lights to Auto only low beam comes on and I am able to flash high beams few times before they stay constantly on.

I think there is bad connection somewhere around AAM unit and will try to work on it on weekend.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,987 Posts
Can someone tell me please where AAM controller is lokated so I can maybe remove it and have a look. Thanks
Batku, I only suggested that it might be an AAM problem. That does not mean that it is. Even if it was the AAM there is no way you can tell just by looking at it. Please do not consider buying one. I do not think there are, but let me see if there are any tests.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have found the problem today. There is a problem with connection between AAM and Fuse and relay module. When I apply pressure on AAM towards F&R module high beam works fine. I have used wooden wedge to push on AAM.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,940 Posts
Connector is the most likely culprit. Inspect pins for corrosion or loose ones.
It can be repaired if loose and corrosion can be cleaned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have just collected my car from MB service. They have changed fusebox and AAM module, cost 1200£.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts