Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The internet has me doubting my natural instinct to go from ML350 to GL450. We also have a GLK but are expecting Our third baby in September and need to fit three car seats across. I keep researching GL’s online every time I see one I like And I keep hearing that they are not reliable. It seems I hear this about every model but we have not been disappointed with our first two Mercedes. I do any light to medium repairs I can which helps with the repair costs. However, I’m not sure what to think about the GL feedback I’m getting. I have test drive a couple and they seem great, but curious what you all may think! A used 2012-14 around 80-90k mi goes for around 20k here in Ohio. Our cost of ownership on the first two has been great over the last couple of years. What say you, yay or nay?

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
2,113 Posts
Not an expert, just offering an opinion. A gasoline model in that year range would be fine.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2015 GL350
275 Posts
I picked up a 2015 GL350 Bluetec November 2020. Had 64K miles on it, and I've been VERY happy with it so far. It is bigger than our ML, and that is nice. You CAN fit 3 across in booster/baby seats in row two, with plenty of room in back for the bits needed with young ones. Gas or diesel, make SURE the service work has been done and you should have no problems
I bought mine because I'm "retired" , and want to tow a travel trailer. With the FACTORY tow kit installed, you have a 7,500lb limit for the trailer, and the bluetec is giving me about 22mpg around town.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are only two items that I believe could potentially be less reliable, when comparing a '12-14 GL450 to your existing ML and GLK.

First, all GLs have standard AIRMATIC suspension (air shocks at all 4 corners). These naturally wear out and will eventually need to be replaced, so be prepared for this cost.

Second, the '12-14 GL450 uses a twin-turbo V8 engine (M278), and these turbos don't last forever, so be prepared for this cost.

For these reasons, you might want to consider a 3rd party extended warranty.

Hope this info is helpful!

·
Registered
2003 SL500
8 Posts
I'm interested in replies to this thread. We have a nice SL500 and considering a GL as a second vehicle. Prices on X164 pre 2013 models are very good in our area and I'm also curious about issues to watch for on those older models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts