Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML Panoramic roof issues?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mlfun 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking at 2 MLs -- a 2001 ML430 sith the accordian style panoramic roof, sport package, and a 2001 ML55 AMG. both have 100k miles. Asking price is the same. The AMG has a BAS light that comes on when you press the brakes and clears when you restart the ML.

Were there problems with the panoramic roof -- appartently it was only offered for a year or two?

Would I be asking for problems with high maintenance costs if I go for the AMG?

Tom

#3 ·
All Money Gone otherwise great running vehicles. Have BAS issue resolved before you buy. It could be simple as brake light switch but can get expensive if control module goes south.

#4 ·
How many naysayers have owned one?

Not true about the Skyview roof. I know many people have had issues but most have had none and believe me the effect is always a pleaser to your rear seat passengers! The only reason the option went away was because the popularity and over regulation regarding airbags as if that replaced solid cabin reinforcement. When DC incorporated rear passenger upper air bags there was no longer enough room for the skyview. Trust me it's a cool feature and as close as an ML can ever come to being a Cabriolet ;)

#5 ·
As Witek says steer clear of the ML430 with Lamella style roof; they are known to have their issues.

Both are V8 engines so both are gas-guzzlers anyway but the ML430 is not as quick/fun as the ML55 so why not just get the ML55?

The BAS/ESP light may just be the brake light switch ($15-$25) - Mine has been coming on and going offf intermittently since I bought my truck in September 2007 - I totally ignore it since there is not a chance in hell of snow out here in West Africa!:D

#9 ·
I agree... with the engine power of the ML55, I've noticed that you can actually warp he space-time continuum enough to fool your brain into believing that your sunroof is larger than it actually is...

Yes, ladies and gentlemen... it is official. The ML55 is the Chuck Norris of SUV's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.