Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I bought myself a 2002 ML 500 , excellent condition and everything, but i find the navigation system a bit annoying.(I got used to this pioneer navigation system with the slide out screena nd 3d driver views, this winter)>

What would be the best option for an upgrade..I have the old standard mcs that came with the 2002 model with cdrom navigation drive.

1. take out the whole mcs and replace it with te new mcs 2.0 unit...is that possible???..or will it not fit?

2.Replace the exxisting cd rom with a dvd rom- is it possible to get and replace it with a 2006 dvd (used on the mcs 2.0?

3.Buy a different system and leave the factory fitted one in place- im thinking either pioneer or alpine- although where they would fit..i have no clue.

Any help appreciated!!

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Server - 4/20/2006 9:50 AM

anyone :)?
Click on search button on top of the page.
then do a search on "navigation upgrade" on the W163 forum.

I think folks aren't responding because this is a subject that gets asked a lot....probably moderator should make it a sticky

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
^agree

The Alpine/Pioneer units are going to fit. If I needed a Nav system I would go with the New Alpine unit that has the new touch screen that makes it feel like you are touching a solid scroll bar or whatever. It is crazzyyy [:D]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey, thanks for the input.
what alpine system model do you speak of...like ill have to take out the existing mcs and put it in its place??
Ill look for othe other posts, thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
it is called pulse touch..

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/Alpine_Navigation.html

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
I've been using Delorme antenna and software ($99) on my laptop for years.
This year we've got 2001 ML with navigation system built-in.
Comparing the car system to the laptop system is like comparing the 100MHz computer from over a decade ago to today's 2 GHz.
I love the topo (3-dimensional) maps for my motorhome driving.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Quite true, but a loose laptop will certainly draw car thieves. Plus, it is a lot harder to look down at a laptop compared to looking up at the normal screen position. Then there are the wires going everywhere. There is much to be said about a built-in unit.

DelJ

Kajtek1 - 4/20/2006 8:59 AM

I've been using Delorme antenna and software ($99) on my laptop for years...Comparing the car system to the laptop system is like comparing the 100MHz computer from over a decade ago to today's 2 GHz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi!
this is what i came up with.
It says something about fitting a double-DIN dash setting...that emans itll fit the ml frame right?I gotta be sure before i pay up...im away on vacatin and ol` betsy`s garaged!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVIC-Z1-Car-DVD-GPS-Player-7-LCD-30GB-HD-NEW_W0QQitemZ9714422647QQcategoryZ79834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks again!

·
Registered
01 ML55 AMG
179 Posts
Aftermarket wayyyy better

I just upgraded to an AVIC- Z1 (ripped the stock nav out the day I got my 55 home and put in a D1) which blows all other navs away. 7" wide touch screen, voice nav/song/station/source/cell, Bluetooth, iPod input, XM and/or Sirius, 30gb hard drive for Nav and ripping songs straight from CDs) and a DVD drive. And yes, Teleaid buttons still work.

Attachments

·
Registered
<<2000' ML 320 >>
24 Posts
Let me know if you want to sell the old unit?[:D]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: Aftermarket wayyyy better

ToneMonday - 4/20/2006 7:16 PM

I just upgraded to an AVIC- Z1 (ripped the stock nav out the day I got my 55 home and put in a D1) which blows all other navs away. 7" wide touch screen, voice nav/song/station/source/cell, Bluetooth, iPod input, XM and/or Sirius, 30gb hard drive for Nav and ripping songs straight from CDs) and a DVD drive. And yes, Teleaid buttons still work.
Hey!

That looks great!!
i was looking at it on ebay....does the blue tooth come built in??? I see youve got the back end camera too, you have to buy that seperately i think.

Did you fit the unit in yourself or was it done at some place other than the `mb dealer!`!?i wanna get one and get it installed..cuz i know i cant do it myself.Id appreciate any details you can give me.

·
Registered
01 ML55 AMG
179 Posts
Mapping rocks! 20 gigs of data outdoes any other non hard drive based nav. Install was easy - a DYI if you have any coordination with hand tools and a soldering iron. Bluetooth is an additional module that plugs in on their IP Bus - same for the Ipod, Sat, DVD changer, etc. Everything is controlled easily by the Z1 and I've figured out how to bypass the Nav adn Video lockouts.

I gave my old D1 to a customer while his was being repaired and when I sent it in, the sent me back a new D2 - I'd sell that for $1300.

·
Registered
'01 ML55
972 Posts
Server said:
Hi!
I bought myself a 2002 ML 500 , excellent condition and everything, but i find the navigation system a bit annoying.(I got used to this pioneer navigation system with the slide out screena nd 3d driver views, this winter)>

What would be the best option for an upgrade..I have the old standard mcs that came with the 2002 model with cdrom navigation drive.

1. take out the whole mcs and replace it with te new mcs 2.0 unit...is that possible???..or will it not fit?

2.Replace the exxisting cd rom with a dvd rom- is it possible to get and replace it with a 2006 dvd (used on the mcs 2.0?

3.Buy a different system and leave the factory fitted one in place- im thinking either pioneer or alpine- although where they would fit..i have no clue.

Any help appreciated!!
I just replaced the cd drive with a dvd drive. I paid about $700 for the dvd drive and e-bayed the cd drive for $400.

Simple and reasonably cheap.

·
Registered
2005 ML350
1 Posts
ToneMonday said:
How did it fit? I have a 2005 ML and according to Crutchfield it does not fit.

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG / 2012 GL550
36 Posts
ToneMonday said:
...... I've figured out how to bypass the Nav adn Video lockouts.
I assume you must ground a wire or something.. But could you please elaborate on how to bypass this annoying safety feature....

Thanks
Dwayne

·
Registered
15 Posts
mdyod said:
I assume you must ground a wire or something.. But could you please elaborate on how to bypass this annoying safety feature....

Thanks
Dwayne
Yes, I would like to know how to bypass this annoying safety feature as well. I just paid for my Avic Z1 and it's on its way. I have a 2002 CLK 430. The Avic Z1 should fit in my Consol perfect, right? I currently don't have any stock Navigation like the D1 or D2. I have the basic Benz cd player with changer. I'm very excited. I bought some accessories as well. I want to have my Sirius Sat Radio, Bluetooth, and Ipod Control Adapter installed at the same time. I hope this install doesn't become too expensive. I thought about DIY, but I don't know how to find the speed sensor (VSS).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts