Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG & 2003 SL55
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just (...i hope...) upgraded my '02 ML320 w/ DVD Nav, and so far swapping for the DVD player/reader and upgraded DVD Nav CD def seems to be working great. there seem to be some connectors and coaxle cables behind the MCS unit that aren't connected to anything -i'm sure certain connectors are for the integrated phone (...which i don't have activated), but some of the other plugs puzzle me.......might anyone have any ideas/thoughs on these wires?. also, the Nav voice feature isn't working -i've been told that need to go to my dealer, and thru a laptop connection, they 'link' all devices in the truck so that every feature works, or that every feature is turned on....any truth to this dealer visit, or can i get around the flat rate of $100/hr min for the 10 minute laptop connection? much thx for helping out!

·
Registered
'11 C300
423 Posts
I can't answer all your questions but I do know - from experience - that in order to get the navigation system fully functioning; e.g., voice, you will need to pay a visit to the dealer to have your unit "version coded" so that the car will know a navigation system has been installed. Cost me just under $100.00 a couple years ago. Took them maybe 30-45 minutes but I'm sure it took the tech a lot less time than that.

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG & 2003 SL55
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for the info concerning the 'version coding'....looks like i get to make another contribution to the general MB college fund!. now i just need to figure out what all those extra wires/connections behind my MCS are for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Am I missing something?

Can I have the NAV running and not have the Radio or CD running at the same time? For now, I have the radio on with the volume all the way down. It seems I sould be able to have the NAV on and no audio.

·
Registered
2003 ML-500
3 Posts
There will be a 2 pin, 3 pin, and 10 pin connector behind your MCS that would be connected to the Y-cable that goes to the PSE if you had a phone. There will also be a cable for the antenna compensator that you'd have if you had a phone. Does that account for all of them?

I installed an Argos in my 2003 ML500 for bluetooth, which involved connecting most of those cables to the Argos unit (which takes the place of a PSE) via the Y-cable. I didn't install a compensator, since I wasn't using the internal antenna, so that cable remained free. I don't remember though if there were any other cables left over!

Hope that helps,
Frank

·
Registered
2003 ML-500
3 Posts
Am I missing something?

Can I have the NAV running and not have the Radio or CD running at the same time? For now, I have the radio on with the volume all the way down. It seems I sould be able to have the NAV on and no audio.
Funny, but I never thought of that, since I always have audio on... when you turn the head unit on, you are turning on both the audio and the nav. I don't think you can turn the audio off completely and have the nav on. But since the nav and audio have separate volume setting controls, you can just turn the audio down to zero and still hear the nav lady, as you have discovered.

- Frank

·
Registered
ML320, ML500, S550V4, ML550
423 Posts
Am I missing something?

I asked the same thing when I had my DVD nav added to my 2002 ML500.
Selecting Telephone or Tape doesn't switch the audio when the device is not active, so I was left with the same option - CD or Radio volume down.

You have a second volume control setting for the nav voice, adjust the volume while the voice is speaking.

Let us know if you find another solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts