Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SEC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine got her self in a little accident ( not her fault)
she ask me if i could help her out with the whole process

Im 99% sure it will be totaled car is a 99 ml320 with 120k on the clock
her first insurance appraisal was just under 6k usd and that's without opening the hood.

I haven't seen the car in person but from the pics i think the front its swayed a bit.

Now here is the kicker she wants to keep it, she loves it to death.

ball bark figure how much is it to buy it back from the ins. and how much of a hassle it will be to get it right?

any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
I would call Potomac with the appraiser's list and get prices on used parts. You might
even get the same colors. The labor is hard to asses without seeing it. 9-11 hours
minimum just on the cosmetics before paint. And that 9-11 hours is a very low estimate.

·
Registered
1986 560SEC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you . I figured its gonna be around 10h of labor.
I told her its better to let it go but she does not want to hear it . she owned the car since 03 and other then the damage is in excellent shape.
She is obsessive about maintenance on it

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
with the front messed up like it is its pretty hard to figure out how it was not her fault. From the pics posted does not appear to be totalled but may be if the frame is twisted. If it is its best to let it go and look for another low miles un hit ML.

·
Registered
1986 560SEC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with the front messed up like it is its pretty hard to figure out how it was not her fault. From the pics posted does not appear to be totalled but may be if the frame is twisted. If it is its best to let it go and look for another low miles un hit ML.
another driver ran a red light.
car is worth 7k tops so not difficult to be totaled

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Total it and don't look back; they're never the same.

That's how I wound up with this ML-430; wife totalled my beautiful, immaculate, tricked-up Chrysler 300M and I couldn't even bear to look at it. I just called the insurance company, haggled a bit, and said send me the check. If you really liked a car, you don't want it back after it has been badly wrecked unless it is some super collector item.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
On the basis of those pics alone, there is very little to suggest frame damage. The suspension and even the alignment appears clean. If she likes the car, and gets a decent buy-back price, go for it. If you can have your body guy look at it first then that's even better.

^ +1 on finding clean used panels/bumper/grille/ etc and paint. If the radiator and/or AC condensor are damaged buy new replacements.
Could be a decent result for not much money.

Its OK to love a car that's less than perfect.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I'm sorry to see and hear of the damage to your friend's truck.

I know just how much damage to a cherished vehicle can hurt.

I agree with the assessments of Noodles and APKhaos.

You should be able to get the truck fixed up nicely again. :)

ps.

Some people never have anything nice/helpful/supportive to say on this Forum.

My view in relation to posts is: IF you have nothing nice/helpful to say then don't say anything at all - YOU know who you are. :bash:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts