Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 ml320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
havent been here for a while...just catchin up. i recently bought a 98 convertible corvette thats hellafun to drive and is a headturner everywhere i go,even though i havent driven it much! now.... i have had my 99 ml 320 for about 1 year and living with both machines: THERE IS NO...NONE... comparison too each other as far as build quality is concerned!! the vette doesnt even begin to compare to the quality of the ml. i know they are 2 differnt animals and all that..but the quality control on the vette is suspect,to say the least. i have had 2(yes two) problems with the ml..one was a bad window switch,the other was a bad hose on the ps pump. my ml is a dd and i have put on about 22000 in the past year. all i do is oil and prem gas and i havent had a hiccup in it. the vette on the other hand looks like im gonna have to redo the interior because of poor materials and workmanship(maybe past owner abuse too) so what im getting at here is that imho, i still feel that MB has really kicked ass with this truck, i love it and its nite and day as far as quality build! on the other hand..the vette is like walking thru manhattan with jennifer lopez,kissing in public! [:D] but the ml is like hanging out with a bodyguard,always protected,reliable,rugged,durable!

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
good to here your story about not having problems with the ML. With Mercedes alot of people complain about electrical problems etc. but when I get into my 1999 its still feels like its brand new.

·
Registered
99 ml320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont abuse the ml or any other car i have owned. i can certainly see where owners of MB products might expect less issues though. i owned a 190 back in the late 80's and man oh man,that was a trip(not a good one)! i read all the reviews on the ml,out of the about 50 i read,only 2 were positive. still took a chance on love,nothing beats the brand name,and havent been disappointed!108000 miles and still everything working like is supposed to!

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Good to hear there are others out there like me. My first ML was an 00 430. Put 46K miles on it. The brakes wore a little early I thought (23K back, 35K) front and a MAF sensor at 40K. It had a few rattles in the tailgate area, but ran like a watch, and could get 20 MPG on the interstate. I always felt safe and secure in it. Sold that and bought an 05 500SE last December. This one is solid as a stone, drives better, and flat hauls the mail when you need it compared to a 430. The mileage is around 18 when I drive it right. I feel safe with my grandkids in it, and couldn't be more pleased. Only 2500 miles so far, but looking forward to a lot more solid trouble free miles. No doubt a better upgrade from the 2000 430. Worth every dime! [8D]

·
Registered
99 ml320
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i do expect wear and tear items to go....measured in dollars,maintenance hasnt been bad either. i did have to go to a dealer for the ps hose that went bad,suprised by the good service i got,even though i know i paid double for the work. i still think i have a great truck, i know there has to be others on the forum who think the same[;)]

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
We had a beauty of a day this past Friday. I was out in the sun washing all the salt off the truck, then I decided to get out a clay bar, washed, polished, waxed, and did the wheels. Then I did the interior. My 2002 now looks, and smells new. I have had no problems at all, with the exception of some problems with the clear coat on the wheels. No rattles, no squeaks, doors sound solid when they close, leather looks like new. I compare this to our Chrysler minivan of the same year which has worn well, but the fit and finish are different, and the squeaks and rattles more common.

I think most of the build issues in Alabama had been settled by the MY2002.

·
Registered
01 ML430, 03 C320 Coupe MT, 14 GL450
952 Posts
ML Rules!

Glad to hear you're happy!

I read a very interesting article in a South African car magazine recently while on vacation. They published the SA Initial Quality Survey for cars. In the "large" 4x4 class, the ML was 1st, the BMW X5 was 2nd and I think Toyota was 3rd. In the Coupe/Roadster class, there was a tie for 1st place between three cars: Mercedes-Benz C-Coupe, CLK and SLK!

What amazes me, is that these are the same cars that get such horrible reviews elsewhere, especially the UK (also right hand drive), where the ML recently came dead last. Maybe South Africans are less spoilt when it comes to luxury cars [8D].

·
Registered
497 Posts
RE: ML Rules!

I would not accuse Great British journalists of being famous for objectivity.

I was at a nearby dealer recently and noticed a W163 still new for sale in the showroom; I said the W164 might not appeal to the same clients as the W163 and he said the W163 was the 'worst Mercedes ever made'!

I am very happy with my W163 and hope to remain so in spite of all the hyped up negativity.

Mercedes sold a lot of W163's and it very much remains to be seen if they sell even as many W164's.

·
Registered
2004 ML270CDi
14 Posts
You read a British car magazine with a comparison road test including a Mercedes and a BMW it's a sfe bet that the BMW will come first and the Merc last. I guess it's something they teach them at journalist school.

The ML isn't perfect, what car is, but it's damn near. I'm on my third one and even though I curse it at times I still can't think of any other car I would want. Except maybe a Dodge Viper but that couldn't hack it in the forests.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts