Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
592 Posts
That is correct both in the air.

At first I had to put the 350 back together with out the shims when I replaced the lower arm, no one had them in stock in town and we where headed to a wedding 7 hours away. But it still went to the correct height.

Both sides of yours are at 30?

Have not heard of it happening but the end of the bar where the lever is may not be indexed correctly or it could of slipped? The lever bolts on to the bar and both pieces are splined.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Glad I got the jacking up correct! I certainly do not mind the height being at 30" if it handles the bumps well too. Not sure that anything could have changed (handling wise) if the height has not changed? Perhaps the improvements that I felt on my test drive were placebo effects? Will do some more trials tomorrow.

Thanks for the diagrams, useful info.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
592 Posts
It’s getting to be about time for bed in Malaga right now. Was there about four years ago and had a great time really enjoyed it. Love the beach.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Getting late here now 00:25hrs. It is a nice area to live and just about the best climate in Europe. Great for cars as very little rain, no snow or salt and no rust - not like in the UK. Endless summer sun can be hard on paintwork, plastics and rubber though.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,741 Posts
el ML,
Inspect the torsion bar where the nylon bushings are located. You will be able to see if the bushing have failed; the Tbar will be essentially be making 'physical contact' with the metal bracket.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks for that tip, I was kind of looking at the wrong bit:whistle:. Have taken a picture of each end and I think they both look fine? The first one is the right side and there is perhaps less bushing material present here than on the left side (second picture), or maybe just that picture is taken a bit further away.
The front is now at 31.1" on both sides after the further adjusting last night. Will drive it later this morning and see how it goes and how the height is when I return.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,607 Posts
Thanks for that tip, I was kind of looking at the wrong bit:whistle:. Have taken a picture of each end and I think they both look fine? The first one is the right side and there is perhaps less bushing material present here than on the left side (second picture), or maybe just that picture is taken a bit further away.
The front is now at 31.1" on both sides after the further adjusting last night. Will drive it later this morning and see how it goes and how the height is when I return.

View attachment 2610937
View attachment 2610938
Looks like a big gap here compared to the bottom.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not sure if the gap is meant to be the same all the way round? Perhaps the shadow from my light makes it look worse? Think I just live with it. No creaking or noises and definitely handles large speed humps much better now. Ride height at the front is only marginally increased at 30.25" though.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,741 Posts
el ML,

Something is amiss with your measured hole depths of each in post #18.
They should be the same, yes?
Would shock failure be the culprit of this different hole depths? (I dont know...)

Are you absolutely sure the sachs up front are the correct shocks?

Looking at your photo where the plastic bushings are placed, it doesnt seem (to myself at least.....) the bushings inside would be damaged or have failed (an you stated no creaking either). Unless the video shown, is perhaps only one possible symptom of a bushing failure?

Ride height measured (previously) for our 02 ML500:
ML500 – 32”/32.5” front/rear with 17” (275 55 17s oem wheels)
Presently, ML500---->18” amg monoblock ride height (285 50 18s) - front 32.5” rear 33.5”
Planning to drop the rear 3/4-1" with coilovers next week when I get some free time. :)

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The hole measurements are a bit strange. Am happy with how the car is now, so I guess that is the main thing. Maybe I revisit and jack the car up again in coming days and have another poke around. I wonder if making the hole measurements with the car down on all 4 wheels would be a worthwhile excercise?
I had another look at the front shocks and they are Sachs 311367 which do appear to be correct for my car.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts