Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife was driving my ML500 last week and she was getting some vibration at highway speeds. She went about 45 miles like that, then the vibration got a lot worse, so she pulled on the shoulder to check the tires. All looked good, so she got off the highway and tried to make it home. About 5 miles later, she said the traction light came on, the she heard a bang, so pulled over. The rear driver side tire was almost completely flat. AAA came and noticed that the wheel wasn’t completely against the router. Then noticed 2 of the lugs missing and the remaining were so loose you could pull them right out. The AAA guy jacked it up and the whole came right off.

What would cause the lugs to loosen up? It was at least 200 miles since the last time it was serviced, and was riding great.

The tire was fine. The air leaked out from the gash on the inside of the wheel.

I’m wondering how the wheel stayed on, even with no lug nuts screwed into the rotor.

The following pic shows the gash on the wheel, where the air leaked out.

The following pic is before the AAA guy jacked the car up.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,800 Posts
May be some one liked your tyres and wheels and thoght he would just take them .Then halfway through of him removing a few bolts was disturbed . Or maybe on the last service of the rear brakes ,the wheels removed and the bolts were refitted but not secured . Thank god no one was hurt .

·
Registered
1 Posts
May be some one liked your tyres and wheels and thoght he would just take them .Then halfway through of him removing a few bolts was disturbed . Or maybe on the last service of the rear brakes ,the wheels removed and the bolts were refitted but not secured . Thank god no one was hurt .
Thanks, very helpful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts