Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
(W163) 2005 ML 350 2002 ML 500 1999 ML 430
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I found a nice ML 55 and I have purchased several parts so far to give my ML500 the AMG look. I got the following parts listed below 1-10. I’m looking to get the Brembo Calipers it has which are red and has the Mercedes-Benz lettering on it. Do you guys know if #1 they will fit my 500 and #2 would they be worth swapping? Most likely they are 19 years old. If not I might just try to spray them red and apply the lettering.

My next question is does anyone know what else AMG model ML 55’s have that regular MLs don’t? (Other than AMG style floor mats and more horsepower). I’d like to obtain whatever else it has that I might have overlooked as the interior was quite a mess.

For the front and rear bumpers I have read other posts that state there are special brackets needed for this retro fit and I didn’t notice anything other than two small brackets that mount behind the front bumper reinforcement bar. I had the salvage yard remove the bumpers and then I read other parts are needed so I went back to get these brackets. It could be possible that they discarded them while removing them if that is part of the process. I didn’t see any brackets in the rear other than the bolts that mounted to the rear bumper impact bar but I will post photos of what I obtained later on once I get to the garage. If you guys could post your experiences in swapping any of these parts or any tips I’d appreciate it.

I believe once I get the cluster mileage corrected it should be plug and play correct me if I’m wrong.

1. Power Dome Hood
2. 55 Front Bumper
3. 55 Rear Bumper
4. Side Rocker Panels (2)
5. AMG Cluster
6. Exhaust Tips (2)
7. 55 Steering Wheel (Wood Grain)
8. Trunk Body Kit Part
9. Engine Cover AMG
10. Fender Flares (4)

I’m attaching a list of Special Edition Items that I have put together and if anyone can see anything that is missing please add it. I’ll be looking to get a few special edition items also. Probably the special edition grille, aluminum roof rails, running boards, some trim pieces, and maybe more if this list isn’t complete. Does anyone know if the special edition running boards could fit with the 55 style side skirts/rocker panels?

• Four 17" 5-Wide-spoke alloy wheels
  • Power-dome hood
  • Silver Painted Grille with Chrome ribs
  • Brushed aluminum trim on roof rails
  • Color-Keyed accessory running board
  • Smoked tail lamp lenses
  • Sport front seats
  • Charcoal, Java or Ash leather upholstery on seats, door trim, front center armrest and shift gate surround
  • Dark Burl Walnut wood trim (with Charcoal and Ash interiors). Matte Burl Birch wood trim with Java interiors
  • Chrome ringed instruments with white indicators
  • Chrome ringed front climate controls
  • Special Edition floor mats and exterior badges
  • Choice of six exterior colors with metallic colors at no charge
  • Chrome Trim on exterior door handles
  • Trim Package or ML350 Comfort Package
I was very confused for the past week as the yard had the vehicle labeled as a ML 320 in the inventory. I assumed it was a 320 with 55 parts and I thought to myself wow this looks almost original, they even had the badging and the tire in the back with the correct cover! It wasn’t until today that I realized the 320/350 and 500/55 have different braking systems so I knew they couldn’t put AMG 55 style calipers on a 320. I decided to run the vin number from my receipt for ML 320 parts and it was a 2001 ML55!!! I had spent the past week thinking that the previous owner had done an amazing job on the “upgrade”.

I will post more photos and keep you guys updated on my progress but here are a few photos for now.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If a ML has a factory hitch installed on it does that mean it also has to have the factory wiring harness to connect brake and trailer lights? Or was that an option when they were ordered? I already have the hitch but if I know for sure it has the wiring harness I will go back for it since it isn’t local to me.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,080 Posts
Hello I found a nice ML 55 and I have purchased several parts so far to give my ML500 the AMG look. I got the following parts listed below 1-10. I’m looking to get the Brembo Calipers it has which are red and has the Mercedes-Benz lettering on it. Do you guys know if #1 they will fit my 500 and #2 would they be worth swapping? Most likely they are 19 years old. If not I might just try to spray them red and apply the lettering.

My next question is does anyone know what else AMG model ML 55’s have that regular MLs don’t? (Other than AMG style floor mats and more horsepower). I’d like to obtain whatever else it has that I might have overlooked as the interior was quite a mess.

For the front and rear bumpers I have read other posts that state there are special brackets needed for this retro fit and I didn’t notice anything other than two small brackets that mount behind the front bumper reinforcement bar. I had the salvage yard remove the bumpers and then I read other parts are needed so I went back to get these brackets. It could be possible that they discarded them while removing them if that is part of the process. I didn’t see any brackets in the rear other than the bolts that mounted to the rear bumper impact bar but I will post photos of what I obtained later on once I get to the garage. If you guys could post your experiences in swapping any of these parts or any tips I’d appreciate it.

I believe once I get the cluster mileage corrected it should be plug and play correct me if I’m wrong.

1. Power Dome Hood
2. 55 Front Bumper
3. 55 Rear Bumper
5. AMG Cluster
6. Exhaust Tips (2)
8. Trunk Body Kit Part
9. Engine Cover AMG
10. Fender Flares (4)

I’m attaching a list of Special Edition Items that I have put together and if anyone can see anything that is missing please add it. I’ll be looking to get a few special edition items also. Probably the special edition grille, aluminum roof rails, running boards, some trim pieces, and maybe more if this list isn’t complete. Does anyone know if the special edition running boards could fit with the 55 style side skirts/rocker panels?

• Power-dome hood
  • Sport front seats
  • Charcoal, Java or Ash leather upholstery on seats, door trim, front center armrest and shift gate surround
  • Dark Burl Walnut wood trim (with Charcoal and Ash interiors). Matte Burl Birch wood trim with Java interiors
I was very confused for the past week as the yard had the vehicle labeled as a ML 320 in the inventory. I assumed it was a 320 with 55 parts and I thought to myself wow this looks almost original, they even had the badging and the tire in the back with the correct cover! It wasn’t until today that I realized the 320/350 and 500/55 have different braking systems so I knew they couldn’t put AMG 55 style calipers on a 320. I decided to run the vin number from my receipt for ML 320 parts and it was a 2001 ML55!!! I had spent the past week thinking that the previous owner had done an amazing job on the “upgrade”.

I will post more photos and keep you guys updated on my progress but here are a few photos for now.
It's a whole different car, mechanically (engine, steering, suspension). It's not just aesthetics, visually. You're going to blow way more money trying to retrofit versus just looking for an AMG.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
I’m looking to get the Brembo Calipers it has which are red and has the Mercedes-Benz lettering on it. Do you guys know if #1 they will fit my 500 and #2 would they be worth swapping? Most likely they are 19 years old. If not I might just try to spray them red and apply the lettering
You know the difference between a 500 caliper and a 55 caliper? Paint color is all. Both use the exact same caliper.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
It wasn’t until today that I realized the 320/350 and 500/55 have different braking systems so I knew they couldn’t put AMG 55 style calipers on a 32
You can do the above but it depends if you think it is worth it. The whole steering knuckle needs to be swapped along with the caliper.

I decided it is not worth the time. Weight difference for both cars is only around 80 pounds. I have scratched my head wondering why a 350 never came with the 500 brakes to start.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,080 Posts
You can do the above but it depends if you think it is worth it. The whole steering knuckle needs to be swapped along with the caliper.

I decided it is not worth the time. Weight difference for both cars is only around 80 pounds. I have scratched my head wondering why a 350 never came with the 500 brakes to start.
The type of driver expected with an amg vs a 350

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
The type of driver expected with an amg vs a 350

Good point.

But since a 500 and 55 have the same brakes. What to be said about 350 driver vs a 500?

I do know the calipers on a 55 stop better because they are painted red!:rolleyes:

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,362 Posts

1. Power Dome Hood
2. 55 Front Bumper
3. 55 Rear Bumper
5. AMG Cluster
6. Exhaust Tips (2)
8. Trunk Body Kit Part
9. Engine Cover AMG
10. Fender Flares (4)

• Power-dome hood
  • Sport front seats

With all that you plan to add and do, why bling it?
All that $$$$ into a wannabe?....
Just go find yourself the real thing and be done with it, imo.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
121 Posts
I’m going to go against the naysayers. Some things would be difficult to retrofit, like the speed-sensitive steering, but suspension components that may differ between the 500 and 55 would be easy to swap, and if you’re putting the larger-displacement 55 engine in place of your 5L V8, it should be relatively straightforward to have the ECU programming updated.

As already noted, the only difference in the brake calipers is the paint color.

Any interior parts would be a simple swap.

It may never be a real AMG by factory production, but you can get as close as you want for the price of the junkyard parts. Might as well have fun with it.

The trailer plug and integrated wiring were part of the OEM towing kit, along with the frame reinforcements and the hitch itself. The harness and plug should be there if the rest of the OEM kit is present.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
The trailer plug and integrated wiring were part of the OEM towing kit, along with the frame reinforcements and the hitch itself. The harness and plug should be there if the rest of the OEM kit is present.
Just to add the harness plugs in to the wire harness near the fuel filler tube remove interior panel on the divers side.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With all that you plan to add and do, why bling it?
All that $$$$ into a wannabe?....
Just go find yourself the real thing and be done with it, imo.
Most the ML 55s I’ve found are not in great condition or high mileage and I just got my 500 up and running so I would rather keep the vehicle I know then get into something else. Parts actually aren’t that much, probably $1000-$1500 total with installation around $2000. I’m sure I could get a real ML 55 for 5-7K but I’d rather keep my 500 and give it the 55/special edition look for 2500. I’ve always liked the front and rear bumpers of the 55 especially the round fog lights but it seems like if I only did that then the rest of the car wouldn’t match up.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to add the harness plugs in to the wire harness near the fuel filler tube remove interior panel on the divers side.
Ok thanks I will grab it! I’ll say no to the calipers lol

·
3,362 Posts
The ML55 bumper covers are nice. Agreed.

The problem is - the quality of these covers was subpar, even brand new. With aging and UV bombardment, the elements--------> peanut brittle.
I assisted a friend with his ML55 to get a replacement last year, up here. What we found at the PnP was garbage for the demanded price (scarce availability). I ended up getting a good set from back east and placed onto one of my shipment containers heading back West, and a good spare front cover (because he's going need, just in case) from just across the US border.
With the standard bumpers like those on our ML500s, etc., they're a dime a dozen for these bumper covers for both front and rear up there.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I had to replace my Sport bumper on my 500, I got one NOS for $500 bucks. MB of Austin (big parts depot for body shops) had them still in stock. Might be worth checking. Still though, you're spending more on the car in parts than it's whole value.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,996 Posts
I changed my 430 into a 55 engine and all. It was a rocket.
The only thing I didn’t change was the larger fuel tank and speed sensitive steering.
I did it because I wanted to and enjoyed just playing on my car with different things. I actually fitted ML63 seats to it as well they were excellent.
I say go for it and do it for yourself and no one else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
Bossjj

As to the bumpers I guess many and me included misssed the fact you purchased those already. I am hoping that they are the same color as the ml they are going on. Otherwise a good body shop will charge about 500 per to be painted, correctly.

I don’t know about the sport bumper but the regular bumpers are available new as aftermarket with color match paint for about 400.

If you don’t mind sharing how much did the sport bumpers go for, I pay 45 per bumper (truck price) at the pick a part regardless what they are from if a 55 ever came in they be 45.

If you don’t know it already, I think your best friend here is going to be a dealer with online parts sales. You can see exactly which brackets is used on the 55 if you click on that part it will provide an link to expand fitment of which cars that they were used on. You can then see if same parts are both the 500 and 55.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone know if the Special edition running boards would fit with my amg body kit? I ask this because I’m not sure if the special edition running boards go on in place of the rocker panel or if they go in over that? If they will be an issue I will just install the factory side steps which I know mount over the rocker panels.

·
3,362 Posts
Does anyone know if the Special edition running boards would fit with my amg body kit? I ask this because I’m not sure if the special edition running boards go on in place of the rocker panel or if they go in over that? If they will be an issue I will just install the factory side steps which I know mount over the rocker panels. ,,,,,
1) Where's the metal platform that the side step cover sits on top?
Or is the cover still on the metal platform?

2) You have to remove the existing rocker panel covers for this to be installed.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.39.28 PM.png

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
This might help but don’t blame the messager, I did not watch the whole video got to the part where he said “the special fastmers make it easier”.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts