Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and need some help! I have a Ml-430 with the stock bose radio and I would like to install a double din clarion touch screen. Everywhere I have looked I can't find a dash kit or wire harness. Can someone please help point me in the right direction? I really miss my touch screen and satellite radio! What do I do???

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Do you know how to get the unit out - get a set of "radio keys" either at the dealer or on eBay.

You are best served with a replacement head unit that has 3V pre-amp output or more to match/drive the Bose "amp" - less than that you won't be driving the Bose amp enough. You need a Metra harness adapter (VW type) and a Euro-to-US antenna adapter. For bezel matching-finishing the double-din opening left best to a local shop that does those things all day long.

With the right choice of head unit in your hands, about $30 in the adapters/accessories, a car stereo shop can do the install for about $65 labor.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Radio Replace,

I have a ML5002004 and didnt like my radio either, so I put a double din chinese digital TV cd mp3 ipod front and rear camera etc etc remote control and a 2000 watt amp and did away with all the merc stuff except for the speakers,
Got power from the passenger socket and wired up the speakers, my kids love it, it rocks the whole town with volume, then sold the merc amp on ebay, thanks for coming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello everyone, I'm new to this site and need some help! I have a Ml-430 with the stock bose radio and I would like to install a double din screen. dose any body know where i can find a dash kit and a wire harness? Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

·
Purple Moderator
21,694 Posts
Please list your year of your ML in your User CP.
It will make a huge difference in what is recommended. If you are pre fiber optic then it is fairly basic
upgrade. However without the year of the ML we have no way of knowing.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Im looking for the same info. 2000 ML430.
Stock Bose.
No idea if its Fiber or not. Me thinks so.....

·
Purple Moderator
21,694 Posts
Then a good car audio shop can put a Kenwood, Alpine. Pioneer or other double din.
The din cage and the VW/Audi wiring adapter is used and the head unit will trigger the Bose amp.
Not a complex install.

·
Registered
383 Posts
1999 ML430 w/Bose non-fiber optic:

Just replaced mine with a single DIN Kenwood 352. Had it done by a local shop using the Crutchfield $65 InstallCard. They said that putting in a double DIN was easy but they had to fabricate the fascia around it so they wouldn't do it for a Crutchfield InstallCard but they'd do it if I bought a unit from them. I'd kinda done the calculus and decided to just get a more modern unit that I could connect a USB and a 1/8" stereo jack to the front. Satellite radio is pretty iffy this far north and I've not been happy with navigation systems down in the dash in rental cars I've had because you take your eyes off the road too much; a big screen sure is nice for a backup camera though.

I was down south back in June and drove a Ford Flex for a few days in Seattle and a Dodge Charger for a week and change in Missouri and Arkansas, both really loaded with electronics and accessories. Cars have changed a lot since my '99 was new and neat! Really liked the blind spot indicators, the backup camera, and, especially, the adaptive cruise control on the Charger - and the hemi ain't bad either. Both had Garmin navigation so I really didn't have a learning curve since I've had a Garmin Nuvi for years, but looking down at the dash for all the other stuff is a real distraction and I didn't like it in heavy traffic. I also learned that the refresh rate on the Garmin is waaay too slow in tight places with off-ramps that divide and such; they only tell you where you should have gone. Traffic is much slower here and there are few true freeway-style ramps and interchanges so it had never been an issue for me before.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Then a good car audio shop can put a Kenwood, Alpine. Pioneer or other double din.
The din cage and the VW/Audi wiring adapter is used and the head unit will trigger the Bose amp.
Not a complex install.
Soooo, diy then. I have always been a fan of alpine and kenwood, so I would go with them most likely. But never worked on a screen head unit before.... Does it have to be a specific size (ex 6.3 inch) our will any double din work?
Also, there is 600 different metra vw harnesses...anyone have a link?

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts