Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 ML 350. Over the last month, occasionally after I put the car in reverse, stop, and then try to put it in drive, it won't go into drive. Once, I was in drive and tried to put the SUV in neutral and it would not go, it only went into park. When this happens, I can turn vehicle off and back on and then it works fine. The dealer said it might be the unit in the steering column but they said it would usually effect blinkers and other things if that were the case and it does not with my vehicle. Brake lights seem to work fine I assume it is not the brake switch. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,376 Posts
Sorry for the incorrect posting spot. Appreciate a move to correct spot as well as any input from members
Well, you are still in wrong forum. ;)

Here is list of all MB SUV/Others list Mercedes-Benz Forum

To shine some light on the problem you are having. Your vehicle has 40-50 networked control modules. Without MB Xentry DAS or compatible there is no way to even think what could be wrong. More so if problem is intermittent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Do you think there will be a code in the system if it is not acting up at the time it is being read?

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
Do you think there will be a code in the system if it is not acting up at the time it is being read?
Most definitely. The various modules keep an event log of every error, no matter how minor. If the glitches aren't often enough to generate a check engine light (and generic code), you need to have a Star computer to see the stored events.

It's really amazing how much data there is when you really dig in. A while back I saw events logged in a couple modules about "low voltage". It didn't make sense at the time, but a week later I noticed the battery was having a harder time starting the car in the morning. Tested it, and sure enough it was on it's way out. The car detected the voltage drop while starting, long before I noticed it was struggling.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,661 Posts
Sounds like your ISM is going bad. Start shopping for Indies who can program a used one, as ISM is theft relevant and MB won't sell it to you. ISM is part of the immobilizer network, it won't shift if it does not recognize the key.

There is a motor inside the ISM and it's prone to wearing out and rusting....since the case isn't waterproof. Brilliant design, once you see where it's located.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to both of you for your help. Can I have the error code read by a general repair shop or does it have to be read by a Mercedes shop? I know they wouldn't be able to reprogram a replacement but if I could, I thought I would have it read there first.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,661 Posts
If the general shop has a high end scanner, yes. Snap on, matco, autel, launch....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts