Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML430
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife broke the cup holder by slamming it shut after it kept popping open on our very bad road, I took a look at the mechanisim and found the locking device had split.
Seems the whole thing must be replaced.
I also wedged it closed with paper. but I would like to fix it once an for all

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
I'v taken mine out to clean out coffee. haha
Just don't force anything to hard, and don't loose the spring.
Here is how I did it, thanks to

Ken K. Yee
on 10/17/2006 at 02:51 PM DIY W163
How do you install/remove the front cupholders?
Thanks for Alex Jarrah and Jay Koo:

The two front cup-holders are interchangeable. They are designed to be knocked out rather than break if they are out of their hole and lateral force is exerted to either side of the cup-holder. The procedure to reinstall is pretty simple.

First how to uninstall:
- Squeeze the softer (still hard) plastic in towards the center of the cup circle.
- Wiggle only the right side out (on both driver and passenger / not symmetric) there is a built-in protruding plastic pivot pin that needs to come out of its hole.
- The cup should now be free to get out of the left side. Take it out slowly, noticing where the spring came out of (on the bottom)
- Be careful not to break the two tabs on the top while extracting. The cup is useless if you do.

Now how to install the one that is out:
- Insert the pointed end of the spring from behind, it should come out of a big hole and then fit nicely in the small provided hole. The spring becomes static.
- Reinsert the cup placing the round end of the spring into its built-in housing on the bottom of the receptacle.
- Wiggle the tow tabs on top in (there should be to need for force yet)
- Insert the left built-in pivot-pin into the left hole of the receptacle.
- Note where the location of the right hole is
- Now start squeezing (not too much) until the right built-in pivot pin is inside the receptacle.
- Through feel and memory, find the right hole in the receptacle.
- You are now ready for Starbucks (although I do not think they serve gin shots yet :)

Note: If you loose that spring, you are in trouble. No one caries it, not even the company that designed it or manufactured it (that GM spin-off Delphi)

This procedure should take 10 minutes to read instructions and 30 seconds to perform.

Part Numbers and such:
(MB Star) A 163 689 02 57
Delphi P/N 16754923
Tool NO 97-3-650520-001
>ABS + PC <
Made In USA

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
ty precision. i took out my passenger cup holder and there was so much gunk from coffee there and i took it out. i still got to put back the spring cause i didnt know how to.

·
Registered
2003 ML350, Trabant P60, VWJetta, BMWG650GS
269 Posts
Here are three pictures sent to me by a fellow blogger to complement the explanation above.
If somebody needs to remove the backseat dual cupholder, let me know, I got that one too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 ml-320 stock,oem bug deflector, nerf bars, leather gray upholstery, delivery date 25 nov 97
677 Posts
sergiu

could you send me info about the backseat dual cupholder as mine is broken and i need to get a new one and install it.

thanks in advance

cnb

·
Registered
1998 ML320
155 Posts
sergiu

could you send me info about the backseat dual cupholder as mine is broken and i need to get a new one and install it.

thanks in advance

cnb
Mine is broken as well but the price for it is ridiculous from the dealer. I think it was over $200. Please let us now if you find the cup holder for any cheaper. Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
251 Posts
1999 ML320 ML430 Cup Holder Repair

Here are three pictures sent to me by a fellow blogger to complement the explanation above.
If somebody needs to remove the backseat dual cupholder, let me know, I got that one too.
I spent a lot of time fixing the passenger cup holder on my 430ML. Here's what I learned. Mine would not open. I forced it open with a screw driver, and it was filled with rocks (!?). There was no spring. The dealer wanted $33 for the spring, which is basically a small piece of metal like a paper clip. Luckily, local pick-n-pull yards are FILLED with MLs. You can search the pick-n-pull website for local inventory. By the way, these wrecks are a great way to experiment with removing trim pieces...if you break stuff, no one cares.
Just to be clear, different years of the ML have a different mechanism. The 1999 has the metal spring. I found one at a junk yard. When removing the passenger cup holder, pull the RIGHT side first, closest to passenger side door. If you pull the left, you may break the plastic gear that is on the left side of the dash inset where the cup holder goes.
So, I had my metal spring and thought everything was fine. I put it in, following the above directions, and it did not work. I then noticed that the left plastic gear sprocket, that is located inside the compartment where the cup holder fits into had been partially pushed inside the dash, toward the glove box. I managed to pull it back into place using needle nosed pliers. I tried again, yet no luck. I then noticed that there is a little piece of plastic on the right side of the interior of the compartment where the cup holder goes, and a small piece had broken off. Back to the wrecking yard, and I found a replacement piece. Pick-n-pull didn't even charge me for these pieces. The old piece just slid out and put the new piece in. I then reinstalled the cup holder and Voila! It works.
So, when trying to fix your cupholder, check out the two pieces of plastic on the inside of the compartment to make sure they are in working order, or you'll be making multiple trips to the wrecking yard.
I've repaired numerous interior parts for my car using pick-n-pull parts. It's awesome. My next projects are replacing the bumper covers...trying to find good ones that are silver 744U will be tough. I also want to replace the 1999 stereo/cassette with the 2000 and newer stereo, but not sure it's an easy swap given Bose amp, etc.
BTW: If you are at the yard and not sure if the interior or exterior car parts are the same color, do a VIN search on vindecoderz to pull up info on the wreck you are pulling from...it will give you exact colors details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts