Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, <br> This kind of goes along with the last post. I have the crappy Conti tires OEM, and now my fronts are wearing out, but the rears still have tread. Is there anything wrong with switching brands when I get new fronts, i.e., adverse handling characteristic, etc? I was thinking Michelins or S-03's. <br> Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have done that myself and have seen different staggered front/rears on other AMG's as well. The tire shop will try to sell you 4 tires don't worry about it, get whichever good quality tires you desire on the fronts, you shouldn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done that myself and have seen different staggered front/rears on other AMG's as well. The tire shop will try to sell you 4 tires don't worry about it, get whichever good quality tires you desire on the fronts, you shouldn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not notice? Hah!

I agree with your original post - the conti's are horrible things. Rock hard, no sidewall, dreadful wet grip... I changed mine gradually for BFGoodrich replacements, which seem to sit very well with the standard 43 AMG rims (the lip of the wheel is protected by a heavy protruberance in the BFG's which isn't there at all in the Contis)<br> <br> I noticed the difference within the first hundred yards, between the contis and the BFG's. NB: I bought in england, and I suspect that US BFG's are quite different from Euro ones (which I am told are made by Michelin), but you will know you're not on Contis any more. I changed just the rears and then did the fronts before an epic European trip, and I'm very glad I did...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no theres no problem with that just make sure that they are all the same sizes.oh ya also make sure that all of them are the same kind-example radials or steel belted

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Not notice? Hah!

Hey, <br> I think what sdeggo might have meant by 'not notice' was no adverse effects, but I can't speak for him/her. <br> (the lip of the wheel is protected by a heavy protruberance in the BFG's which isn't there at all in the Contis)<br> Man, that is good to know. Just a few months aftr a got the car, I scraped a curb going like zero mph and now have a nasty gash in one of my back wheels (d'oh!)<br> Thanks, Greg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts