Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200008074_200008074

What do you guys think? Should this be fine removing the oil from the truck? Or should I shed out the 100+ dollars for the big brother of it?

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also like to mention that I never used one of these, I have always just drained it from the pan.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Go for the 8 Liter version.
Otherwise you have to stop the suction and drain the thing and continue. MAJOR pain in the butt.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
roadsession - 4/19/2006 9:18 PM

Go for the 8 Liter version.
Otherwise you have to stop the suction and drain the thing and continue. MAJOR pain in the butt.
Road....

this one just pumpts it into whatever you want.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So who here does change their own oil in the ML?

If so do you just drain from the pan? Or do you use the nifty little fluid remover?

The Neon, old mercedes, expadation, miata we just drain from the pan. Should it be fine just draining from the pan?

The WIS says to drain using the fluid remover then drain the rest from the pan! Why not just drain from the pan!! [?]

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,855 Posts
My name is Rob and I have been a drainer for almost 25 years.

But I am getting sick of it and like the idea of sucking the fluids out instead of goofing around with the drain plug. You will probably see me spouting off the virtues of a vac setup very soon.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
2,220 Posts
Once you use the vacuum method you will never go back !

Just for grins, the first few times I used an oil extractor, I pulled the drain plug afterwards. Just a few drops came out. If I had the ML on flat ground NONE would have come out.

This procedure is SO easy, its a no brainer !! Get one immediately along with a stock of 0W40 and the correct fleece filters.

ttaleric

Definately go for the larger capacity that has a reservoir. The pump you posted is for liquid transfer, you will have to constantly pump to provide the suction...no real vacuum is created. With the larger units, you just pump about ten strokes and watch...you can spend your time removing and replacing filter. Mightyvac is a fine unit but below is the one I got at a marine store...great quality and easy to use....

http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=29588&fcat=2C16&cID=FROOGLE

Do note...capacity is five quarts, so you have to pour off the first five and then vacuum the balance...no big deal.....

G

·
This is what I use, the MityVac-7201.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7201.html

It holds all the ML's 8.5 qts of oil. The Tool Warehouse has the best pricing. I will never go back to draining from the bottom of the engine. Total time to change oil is about 45 minutes from opening the hood to closing the hood, including changing the oil filter. Hands never get dirty once you figure out how to get the oil filter off inside a plastic shopping bag.
Mike

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike's ML - 4/20/2006 1:50 PM

This is what I use, the MityVac-7201.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7201.html

It holds all the ML's 8.5 qts of oil. The Tool Warehouse has the best pricing. I will never go back to draining from the bottom of the engine. Total time to change oil is about 45 minutes from opening the hood to closing the hood, including changing the oil filter. Hands never get dirty once you figure out how to get the oil filter off inside a plastic shopping bag.
Mike
Thanks Mike!! Just got one, that is the best price. 67 big ones!!

Peter if you still need one please contact me. I can order it for you. I'll send you a email.

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE (current); 05 ML350 SE & 99 ML320 (former)
685 Posts
Great post! I just ordered one too. Thanks Mike & ttaleric [:)]

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
Sure, I tried to order , but they won't ship to Germany directly .... so I found a supplier here ... 2.5 times the price????? Didn't buy from them.

Happy to do the paypal thing ..... but I need the total amount (purchase + shipping).

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John_L -- Glad to help! It is at such a great price!!

Peter -- Go to that site and order one using my address. Then once i get it, ill send it to you. I'll email you my address.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John_L -- Glad to help! It is at such a great price!!

Peter -- Go to that site and order one using my address. Then once i get it, ill send it to you. I'll email you my address.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts