Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting the mitivac for a DIY oil change. Is it as simple as most of the posts have stated? Do I need a special tool to remove the oil filter? Who has recently performed this:surrender:

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
You don't really need a special tool to remove the oil filter. You just need some good grip.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A good grip with a wrench will do it. Also make sure you get the BIG mitivac....8 liter capacity? Or is it 9?

Having the standard mitivac would be worthless...you would have to empty it before the oil is out the ML.

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
Actually I am emptying Mityvac 1/2 way thru the oil change. That is partly due the fact that we have 1 gallon recycling containers and other that this way I can see better the level of oil in the pump. When you go to the top you don't see it very well, although the pump have float valve preventing flooding the valves.
Having it for about a year I wonder how big of my life was wasted for pulling the plugs.
I am using big crescent for taking the filter out. It is not perfect, because of access at angle, but works for me.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
You can get a "B" cup oil filter socket at any autoparts store. I believe that is the one that fits. Harbor Freight used to have the whole set pretty cheap. If you torque it to 25 Nm or whatever it says on the cover for the filter, you need the cup anyway.

·
Registered
902 Posts
How do you discard the used oil? There are recycling regulations in some states, as far as I know.
In our area Advance auto parts and walmart will take back used oil.

·
Registered
35,782 Posts
How do you discard the used oil? There are recycling regulations in some states, as far as I know.

My garbage service include recycling service as well. They come with separate truck.
I am paying for 32 gallons garbage can and they pick up 128 gallons of recyclables for free (having big garden and big family we use it almost every week to full capacity).
The service also include picking up to 2 gallons of used oil per week. Getting them deliver the containers is a hassle.
Call your garbage company to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts