Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just changed few of the fuel hoses...and the one from spin on fuel pump, i went ahead and used a regular fuel hose; instead of the cigar hose ...is this a problem?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
If you feel or hear any pulsation right after changing from the original cigar hose to a straight fuel hose, then the pulsation is due to the straight hose installed in place of the cigar hose.

The function of the cigar hose is to dampen the pulsations caused by the injection pump. The larger diameter slows down the fuel flow back to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
If you feel or hear any pulsation right after changing from the original cigar hose to a straight fuel hose, then the pulsation is due to the straight hose installed in place of the cigar hose.

The function of the cigar hose is to dampen the pulsations caused by the injection pump. The larger diameter slows down the fuel flow back to the fuel tank.
Isn't their also a higher chance of it failing again?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Sorry but I'm not sure which item you're referring to as having a higher chance of failing: replacement hose or injection pump?
Since the Cigar Hose is the Fuel Return Hose it is not going to have an effect on the Fuel Injection Pump.

As the other member said the Cigar Hose was designed to dampen pulsations. The pulsations sometimes can create a noise some peple object to.

Others have replaced the Cigar Hose with a Reglar Fuel Hose with no noise issues. Others have had the noise issue show up.

So you can simply use the regular Fuel Hose you have and if it leaks several years down the road you can change it to the Cigar Hose.

I think another alternative is to use the same size Fuel Injection Hose which while it costs 2-3 times as much as the regular Fuel Hose but is stiffer; Biodiesel proof and I think would still cost less than the Cigar Hose.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 1981 240 D 4 Speed
200 Posts
Since the Cigar Hose is the Fuel Return Hose it is not going to have an effect on the Fuel Injection Pump.

As the other member said the Cigar Hose was designed to dampen pulsations. The pulsations sometimes can create a noise some peple object to.

Others have replaced the Cigar Hose with a Reglar Fuel Hose with no noise issues. Others have had the noise issue show up.

So you can simply use the regular Fuel Hose you have and if it leaks several years down the road you can change it to the Cigar Hose.

I think another alternative is to use the same size Fuel Injection Hose which while it costs 2-3 times as much as the regular Fuel Hose but is stiffer; Biodiesel proof and I think would still cost less than the Cigar Hose.
When changing the Cigar Hose are there any precautions to be taken so as to no introduce air into the system ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well, no far no sign of any pulsation...it's been running fine for about 200 miles ..but just if i find a good deal on the cigar.... i will change it to cigar hose...

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
Sorry but I'm not sure which item you're referring to as having a higher chance of failing: replacement hose or injection pump?
The hose. I remember a thread some years back with that argument.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts