Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 G 500; 82 240D;
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an absence of one year, I must say I truly miss having my 2002 G500. So, I went looking and found two at my local dealer - got very exited and just had to drive them - and found out why I got rid of mine.

They are the rattletrap kings of SUV's. The 2003 model I drove had a drivers seat that made so much noise (squeeking, groaning, popping, etc) that even the salesman said - how the hell could you drive this thing? It also needed a windshield, and it had a totally rock-chipped hood. The other one (a 2002) had a quiet seat but the steering made a funny grinding noise and felt strange (at 31000 miles), the doors and glovebox rattled like crazy, and the tires were shot. It also had numerous paint scrapes, needed a windshield too, plus there were a bunch of rock-chips on the hood.

So I went and drove a new Land Rover LR3 - and it was like going to SUV heaven - so smooth, quiet, comfy, easy to drive, I could go on and on. But I still love the G and I envy all of you who have one.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
More than one contributor

When the idiot chimed in with "how could you drive this car?", I'd have to fire back with, "How can you be trying to SELL IT?????"

Getting a dip-$#^! salesman like that would be a prime motivator for me to get the heck off that dealer's lot and never come back. Likely follwed up with a letter to his boss berating the salesman's tactics, but also the boss for having such lame vehicles out for test drive without fixing obvious problems.

The MBUSA Gs definitely have some faults of their own, but comparing a beat up, neglected, used truck to a brand new one (LR, Nissan, Lexus, whatever) is hardly fair at all. That G was probably a lot nicer when it had the same mileage on it as the LR3 you drove did.

That said, I had occaision to paw over the new LR lineup inside out and upside down a couple weeks ago and have to say they're very posh. If posh is what you're after, and cruising the motorways in isolation a high priority, then lots of things are better vehicles for the need than any G. If having a vehicle around that still drops jaws with 320,000 world-traversing miles on the clock is more your speed, then come on over to my world.[:)]

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
To give you some hope, my '04 has over 19,500 miles. All trouble-free miles. I only have a small rattle on the dash due to wood paneling. Otherwise, my G has been great...no idiot lights going off, nothing.

Oh yeah, based on Land Rover's history, the LR3 will probably be in worst shape 3 years after purchase!

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 5/12/2005 12:38 PM

To give you some hope, my '04 has over 19,500 miles. All trouble-free miles. I only have a small rattle on the dash due to wood paneling. Otherwise, my G has been great...no idiot lights going off, nothing.

Oh yeah, based on Land Rover's history, the LR3 will probably be in worst shape 3 years after purchase!
Ya just wait till all the joystick 4X4 electronics crap out on it. It will end up having a mind of its own. LOL

Edit- I'm talking about the LR3 of course. [^]

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 1983 300GD was on a lift side by side with a 99 disco today. The disco's chassis was pitted with rust all over and starting to go already, my G's was still like new. I should think you could probably expect the LR3's to go the same way.

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
Why not just buy my 1999 G500 which is for sale and be done with it.

http://homepage.mac.com/alaskagwagen/Personal2.html

Forget the risky rovers and go with a pre-MBUSA G-wagen. Llife is too short to compromise!

Adam

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
I sold my Range 2003 . Many problems with windows noises, breaks...etc..etc.....

its a street car.

G is G.

Zé

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
my G500 has 65,000 miles - no rattles, no squeaks, no idiot lights - just pure joy to jump into every day.

Absolutely loved the new RR I drove last week though.

But that's like being married to the greatest woman on the planet and eyeballing (accidentally of course) a model walking by.

Harald

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Yeah, there are people who have rattle free 2002's... so you got a shitty dealer there for sure... one amoung many. Ask Kerr and Marco how their satisfaction with their vehicles has improved upon interaction with a dealer with half a head on their shoulders. There are people paying 300k dollars for them in other countries and they aren't buying range rovers.

If you love the trucks you should consider the 1998-2000 g500's also. Not as fancy inside so that may be a deal breaker, but the steering is a little lighter (no tilt wheel) and every time i think mine has a rattle, it turns out to be something i've left in the door buckets or the glove box. After 10 years of an interior style, one shouldn't be surprised if they got all the rattles out.

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
There are many optional extras you can get for your G and some say that most should be standard when leaving the factory.

One thing you can be sure of with a LR product, it comes with rust as standard when it leaves the factory, I've seen it with my own eyes. But having owned 3 LR's and 2 RR's I had fun in them, but never kept them for long.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
My Tectite '02 has no rattles, squeaks or noisy anything. I commute 35 miles daily in NYC traffic every day and then go off into the woods on the weekend. Since a real dealer has serviced my vehicle for the past 15K miles the ride has been heaven. Bulletproof and hugely comfortable. My wife, who hates large vehicles to drive herself, has asked me to scope out a short wheel base for her. My kids choose the G to go anywhere in (we have a mint C36 which has garnered less than 1,000 miles since the G's came home). The kids love to look at the C36 but they will happily ride in the G all day long and they have.

The key to G ownership (as everyone on this board has attested to one way or the other) is finding someone who can service it efficiently and effectively. Squeaks and rattles are not a design feature - they are the product of owner/dealer neglect or incompetence.

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Like Kerr and MarcO I have a rehabilatated 2002 G that is now completely trouble-free and with an extended warranty that goes through the end of 2008. No squeaks, rattles or annoying lights. 24k miles.

I have owned Carrera's, BMWs and most other fun luxury cars and have never been happier than I am with the G. Not sure what else I would drive.

Even with the "decline" in MBUSA prouct quality, I thought my 911 was a piece of junk...never broke down, but the interior seemed to be a mess of lousy/cheap components and leather that would scratch very easily. For it's price I won't own another.

The G is simply one of the most "perfect" vehicles in automotive history....I know I'm not alone in this sentiment! [:)]

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Now if you really want to have some fun as a rehabbed '02 owner, go drive an '04 or '05. Back door rattles on all of them and the headliner is not as well fit but there are side air bags. I will be keeping my '02's. Best improvement is the BFG AT 265/70/16. This is a tremendous improvement in all areas except small trade off in turn in! As we say in da Bronx, G's d bomb!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts