Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1991 S600 Japanese market
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through my purchased parts I brought back to install, I found my new cooling 'T'.

When I pulled the intake manifold to replace the PVC hose assy and clean up the intake manifold, I went searching for the 'T' to replace it. But I could not locate it. I know where it's supposed to be, but it did not appear to be installed.

My question: do all S600's have these? Could mine be missing it because it's such an early model (Nov 91 manuf. date)?

Given that I'm driving the car several times a week, and am about to take it on some several road trips, I wanted to make sure I'm not going to have problems with the cooling system.

Cheers

·
Banned
n/a
1,724 Posts
Going through my purchased parts I brought back to install, I found my new cooling 'T'.

When I pulled the intake manifold to replace the PVC hose assy and clean up the intake manifold, I went searching for the 'T' to replace it. But I could not locate it. I know where it's supposed to be, but it did not appear to be installed.

My question: do all S600's have these? Could mine be missing it because it's such an early model (Nov 91 manuf. date)?

Given that I'm driving the car several times a week, and am about to take it on some several road trips, I wanted to make sure I'm not going to have problems with the cooling system.

Cheers

AFAIK, all w140, regardless of the production date/engine size/ market designation, have the heater tee.
Why don't you post a picture of what you found by the firewall?

Steve

PS What in the World is "PVC hose assy"...?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about pulling the intake manifold off again. I've got a bit of a surge at idle. After Joe's comments on the manifold spacers, I'm temped to check mine, as they were removed, cleaned, replaced with new gastkets, torqued then the manifold put on. I may have a leak there.

PVC: positive ventilation for crankcase. The big tube that runs down the valley and connects to the throttle bodies.

I'll search for the T again when the manifold is off. Just looked now. Can't see a thing in there. Even with the bonnet all the way open.

Cheers

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking about pulling the intake manifold off again. I've got a bit of a surge at idle. After Joe's comments on the manifold spacers, I'm temped to check mine, as they were removed, cleaned, replaced with new gastkets, torqued then the manifold put on. I may have a leak there.

PVC: positive ventilation for crankcase. The big tube that runs down the valley and connects to the throttle bodies.

I'll search for the T again when the manifold is off. Just looked now. Can't see a thing in there. Even with the bonnet all the way open.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,900 Posts
scottpeteerd, I think you will find the "tee" either in front of the rear divider or just behind it. Seems to me that there is a "window" that can be removed to get at it. It definitely isn't in the intake manifold area. Look right behind it.
Anziani

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anziani,

I'm not really familiar with the rear divider. Can I get to this without removing the intake manifold?

Cheers

·
Banned
n/a
1,724 Posts

·
Banned
n/a
1,724 Posts
From the pictures/links I provided in my earlier replies, it is clear that ones needs a borescope to take a peak there.

The access port (again, I'd pull the intakes) is useful to inspect the short hose from the back of the heads, but the tee is still obstructed

Cheers
PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
PCV (positive crankcase ventilation)

Neither PVC or PCV applies to the M120. Strictly speaking, what you are describing is merely a crankcase breather.
Blow-by gases are re-routed back to the intakes.

No pressure, no valve.

Steve

PS The black tube in the middle of the vee serves unknown purpose (to me). Some called it a muffler, some oil separator.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,

That certainly looks fun. Explains why I didn't see it when I just removed the intake manifold.

Seriously? The best way is to remove the engine?

·
Banned
n/a
1,724 Posts
Well,

That certainly looks fun. Explains why I didn't see it when I just removed the intake manifold.

Seriously? The best way is to remove the engine?
It doesn't, unfortunately.

Removing the engine is not necessary (although you'll be doing it, might as well wait).

Removing the intakes is A MUST.

Once the intakes are out (notice on my picture that the valve cover is out of the way), access to all clamps and hoses is VASTLY improved.

Steve

·
Banned
n/a
1,724 Posts
Is there a special Mercedes vasoline that one commonly supplied for that job???
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Replacing the tee is over $800 in the US. To cope with it, you probably can get the vaseline from Walgreens.

If this is not the vaseline you asked for, then, you probably meant what MB calls a "slide paste" .
MB 0009890160.
Notice that it is literally sold in "buckets" only.

Honestly, I don't think you need anything besides your motivated helpers (and the parts). Your car is from the first production year, and like mine, should have the metal tee.

If I were you, I'd leave the tee alone and replace the hoses only.

Steve

·
Registered
2001 E 430; 1995 S500
616 Posts
S500

$800 to replace the rear T? Holy cow! I'm stunned. What do they have to do in order to accomplish that?
James
P.S. Does anyone know what year model the tee was changed from metal to plastic?

·
Registered
2001 E 430; 1995 S500
616 Posts
S500

Each of the two tees connect two hoses in a horizontal line, but there is a third hose which connects at a 90 degree angle to them. Where do those hoses go and what are they for?
Thanks,
James

·
Banned
n/a
1,724 Posts
Each of the two tees connect two hoses in a horizontal line, but there is a third hose which connects at a 90 degree angle to them. Where do those hoses go and what are they for?
Thanks,
James
Dear James:

Please take a moment and read through all the posts here -- not too many - only about a dozen.

A link to another thread I provided has this picture, that should answer all your questions:

Steve

PS As explained, the V12 engine takes a lot of space and access to the $30 part is non-existent. Some tear-down is required and the price tag is over 3/4 labor.

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,180 Posts
RHD 140 do not have the dreaded "T", but I think scottpeterds car is LHD, so it will (should?) have it.

scottpeterd, re. your surge, don't the early V12 M120.980/981 engines have a different intermediate plate, seals and gaskets vs later model M120.982/983 engines? Not exactly sure what the changeover date is, might even be before M120.982.983 came into production.

·
Banned
n/a
1,724 Posts
RHD 140 do not have the dreaded "T", but I think scottpeterds car is LHD, so it will (should?) have it.

Steve_B, re. your surge, don't the early V12 M120.980/981 engines have a different intermediate plate, seals and gaskets vs later model M120.982/983 engines? Not exactly sure what the changeover date is, might even be before M120.982.983 came into production.
Hi Joe:
Read carefully please. It is NOT me with the surge at idle.
I won't know what is the intermediate plate of the later engines as I have not seen one. I've heard that the 600SL used plastic, mine is aluminum.

Some more pictures of my engine can be found here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2543865-timing-chain-re-installation-6-0l.html
Steve

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,180 Posts
Thanks. Edited.

To anyone referring to my M120 V12 maintenance/fix thread keep in mine it's a MY96 car with M120.982 engine. Other year models are different. Check your car and part numbers vs MY96 before digging in expecting the same parts and problems to fix.

·
Registered
2001 E 430; 1995 S500
616 Posts
S500

Excellent picture, but my question is whether that setup is exactly the same as on the V8 500 engine. Also, on the front tee, where does the "90 degree hose" go?
James

1 - 20 of 37 Posts