Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, long time Mercedes owner here. Just picked up a 1999 SL500 after owning 2 W203s. When I bought the SL I was told the AC didn't work because it was low on freon. Well fast forward 2 weeks and while I was doing brakes yesterday I noticed I'm missing a hose. I'll attach a picture of it. It almost looks like it's coming off the condenser but I don't know what part number to look for
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2002 SL500
246 Posts
I heard the same story when I bought mine.

That missing hose (129-830-10-15 ) is the least of your A/C worries. IMO, the only reason for it to be gone is that someone thought the condenser leaks and started removal.

I'd start by checking the compressor clutch. You don't need to remove. It's likely the insulation is broken or gone all together (see pic below). With the key off, apply 12v to the wire coming from the plug (grounded on the compressor) and look for clutch engagement.

Light Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part

Assuming it works, install the hose and use a manifold/vacuum setup (you can get a loaner manifold and vacuum pump from O'Reiley's) to test for leaks. My bet is it won't hold a vacuum. From there you'll need to add dye to find the leak(s).

Before adding refrigerant, now's a good time to replace the dehydrator (aka A/C receiver drier).

·
Registered
2000 SL500
461 Posts
Before adding refrigerant, now's a good time to replace the dehydrator (aka A/C receiver drier).
It's especially important to replace the existing receiver/drier in this case because the system has been exposed to outside air for so long. The desiccant in the receiver drier will be saturated and no longer effective at removing moisture in the system when it's all back together again.

·
Registered
1999 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard the same story when I bought mine.

That missing hose (129-830-10-15 ) is the least of your A/C worries. IMO, the only reason for it to be gone is that someone thought the condenser leaks and started removal.

I'd start by checking the compressor clutch. You don't need to remove. It's likely the insulation is broken or gone all together (see pic below). With the key off, apply 12v to the wire coming from the plug (grounded on the compressor) and look for clutch engagement.

Assuming it works, install the hose and use a manifold/vacuum setup (you can get a loaner manifold and vacuum pump from O'Reiley's) to test for leaks. My bet is it won't hold a vacuum. From there you'll need to add dye to find the leak(s).

Thank you!

I've been waiting to order a drier. Its currently on back order at FCP

Which plug exactly am I supposed to be applying power to?

When I applied it to the red one I heard clicking somewhere but the compressor clutch didn't move. When I applied it to the orange one, nothing happened.

If I have to order a compressor I'm not too worried. I can turn a wrench (otherwise I'd be in a Camry lol), and we have an AC machine at work.

Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2002 SL500
246 Posts
Which plug exactly am I supposed to be applying power to...
That bare one behind the plug...your red circle. Clicking is what you want to hear. Look at the gap between the pulley and the clutch...it won't move much. My guess is it's good. But that plug is a problem. If you decide to keep the compressor...and if it works I wouldn't recommend replacing it, PM me with your address and I can send you a good used one.

Your in AZ...I'd check Get Genuine Mercedes Auto Parts Online | Discount Mercedes Benz OEM Parts | AutohausAZ | autohausaz.com

·
Registered
1999 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess is it's good. But that plug is a problem. If you decide to keep the compressor...and if it works I wouldn't recommend replacing it
Ok, should the clutch take some effort to spin? I don't want to do all this work just to have to take the compressor off again because the clutch ended up going bad. If I do end up replacing it does the new one have to have that same clutch type? I've seen a few on FCP and Autohaus but the clutch looks different.

So I'll have to re-insulate that wiring before I get everything put back together and turn it on.

·
Registered
2002 SL500
246 Posts
I don't want to do all this work just to have to take the compressor off again because the clutch ended up going bad...
It's clear that compressor has been out before you got it. It was put back to make the car drivable.

I've been down this road...my choice was a new Sanden compressor and a Mahle Behr A/C Receiver Drier.
Sanden 0002304411, 07524144 AC Compressor; With Clutch - Mercedes | A0002304411 W01331597229 (autohausaz.com)
Mahle Behr 1298300283, 351195561 A/C Receiver Drier - Mercedes | 70818343NA W01331608843 (autohausaz.com)

·
Registered
1999 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh ok so the other one I saw on FCP just didn't have the clutch installed.

So that hose, compressor, drier, and the expansion valve are all I need to order. Hopefully Autohaus doesn't take 2 weeks to ship it like they did with my brake pads lol.

By the way, the hose that I'm missing, where exactly does the other end of it go?

·
Registered
1999 SL500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again, sorry for the delay but I have an update. New compressor is in, but the hose isn't the right part, or if it was, the nut used to screw it into the condenser was too small, and it was missing a connection that would let it be bolted into the compressor. I'll put a photo of what I'm talking about at the end of this post.

I'm wondering if I should just find a generic line with the correct fittings or maybe order one for a different Mercedes model and hope it fits.
Household hardware Metal Auto part Fashion accessory Titanium

·
Registered
2000 SL500
461 Posts
If the hose isn't right on both the condenser connection and the compressor connection I'd say the hose isn't the right one. Do you noticed any difference with the hose mounting between the old and new compressor? Just wondering if the new compressor matches the original one in the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts