Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to fix a problem on the Cadillac STS's driver's seat, today. The seat cushion on the driver's side doesn't have a functional rear tilt function any more, and you can feel it rock when you get in/out/move around.

The stated fix, by GM, for the loose seat cushion is to shim it with some split vacuum tubing, glued to the areas where you can see it's touching.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:

Okay, second part, the tilting aspect of the lower cushion.

I cursed GM engineers a few times for what appeared to be them making working on this machine intentionally difficult/unpleasant. Five electrical connectors on the bottom of the seat. No problem...except EVERY SINGLE ONE attaches differently. One I never did really figure out, but a retaining piece broke off, so I win. Plus, the wires are short enough, you can't really get under it to see what you're doing.

Grrrrrrrr.

Anyway, I missed the oh-we-know-you're-gonna-fix-it-someday-we'll-make-it-easy of the W123/W124/W126.

I was always happy to see something was designed, engineered, and built with the express purpose of being serviceable by the owner, without having a masters in automotive design.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
When I was a mechanic a long time ago, I remember the Mercedes training rep who came from Germany saying that there was a mechanic on all the development teams, whose main job was to evaluate the serviceability of all the parts and systems, and that was one of the reasons why some parts were placed where they were etc etc etc.

For me, it all boils down to appreciating good design. Good design speaks for itself.
Theres a car that has it's battery located by the front wheel; and either the wheel or the bumper has to come off to change the battery. Can't remember which model that is.....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres a car that has it's battery located by the front wheel; and either the wheel or the bumper has to come off to change the battery. Can't remember which model that is.....
That's a Chrysler machine. Yeah, genius design right there!

It's on the Sebring/Avenger heaps-O-junk.

The Sebring is one of the most hated vehicles on Jalopnik, which says a lot.

·
Registered
16,762 Posts
Ferraris are known for following this same design philosopy. But then again, Ferrari is part of FIAT (Failure In Automotive Design) which also owns Chrysler.

Maybe that's the marriage in heaven, while the Chrysler/MB partnership was the marriage from hell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts