Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'96 SL320, '96 C220, '86 300E
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the spark plugs in my '96 C220, which I believe may have been original, and very shortly afterward I got a check engine light. The sole code came up as a "Misfire". Is this common after a spark plug change? The engine runs extremely smooth now and runs better than it has in years. Is it safe to reset the code and assume it was an anomaly if it doesn't return? I was told that a misfire code could result in cat-converter damage if raw gas is getting into it from a misfiring cylinder.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
So what is the misfire code? I would reset and see if it comes back.
Has the MAF ever been replaced? B

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
Reset the code and see if it comes back. If it does come back, you may have damaged some a spark plug wire or coil pack that was just about to go anyway.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
as everyone else has said, reset it. if it does come back, then you will have to figure out the problem.

if it doesnt come back, obviously the car isnt misfiring then and your not damaging anything.

·
Registered
'96 SL320, '96 C220, '86 300E
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had it read again at Autozone to get the actual code. It is P1341 which doesn't show up on their computers as a MB code. They won't reset it because of liability issues. If that's the case, how do I ever get it reset?

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Yea, recently I noticed most/some parts stores will not clear codes as you mentioned, perhaps now that they sell code readers they want you to purchase them and want "no liability" as you mentioned. So some places refuse to clear codes.
Well, try this, you simply need to disconnect the battery or pull a main fuse, the MAF wonderboy knows the one #39? I will put a spotlight in the air for him.
If your car sounds like its o.k. if the code comes back then worry about it later and post the code if it won't go away. B

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
disconnecting the battery will defenitely clear your code, however a better way is to pull the fuse as mentioned above, however i dont think its 39, i could be wrong though. its the fuse for the ecu if i remember right.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
"It is P1341 "

FWIW, I have crossed-checked a couple of MB websites and don't see that code in their lists of MB codes.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Fuse 32...

I saw the Light in the Sky for the MAF Wonder Boy...:rolleyes:

On the '96 C-220 it's fuse #32 under the Hood, close to firewall fuse box. On others look for the title "Dianostic Socket".

Good Luck!

C as in 220

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't P0341? That particular code comes up when there is a problem with the cam sensor. Misfire codes are usually P0300-P0306. I have gotten one of these codes twice and replaced the appropriate coil each time and the car ends up running like a dream.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts