Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is along sarga with my 190e but proved fruitful and may bo use to others as a safety check.During lock down I gave the car a check over for MOT and without realising ran the fuel right down due to moving in and out of the garage.

When I went to move it onto the ramps it would not go up them. I put fuel in and all seemed well but on trying to drive on the road there was no power and banging back.

iI decided that I had picked up some dirt so changed the fuel filter to no avail. I then linked out the pump relay ran the pump checked fuel pressures,checked the injector spray which indicated all was well.

I then decided to check the tank filter and found the perfect 64 mm socket in Machine Mart which is used for the AD Blue cap on late diesel vehicles and vans,£7.00.

This fits the tank sender and the filter.

Underneath I clamped the outlet pipe ready drain the fuel into my container and removed the rubber sealing pad covering the filter. As I pulled the pad the small return pipe slid off and fuel started pouring out.I couldn’t get the pipe back on so let it drain out.

As per Sod’s law the filter was perfectly clean but the part you need to be aware of was that I found 4 half fuel pipe clips on the floor. Nothing was holding the small return pipes in place except friction. My car is a 1992. and the clips had rusted through.Itis fairly easy to check the clips but a little mor tricky to replace them but not to bad.

You might like to check yours sometime!!!,

Continu8ng the story. The fault was still there but I felt co fide t that it couldn’t be fuel so turned to ignition.

Lo and behold on removing the cap and the rubber cover there was large tracking mark done two posts. To check if this was the fault I scraped the mark out,fitted the cap and the misfire /spitting back was gone. I now have a new cap but be careful ordering as there aware two caps and rotors.Late cars with Cats and early ones without.

I hope you found this useful and do check those clips as a safety item.

I know know that I started my diagnosis the wrong end but it eventually saved me a massive problem.

JOHN BOY

·
Registered
1992 W201 1.8 Automatic
72 Posts
Thx John, did you by any chance get some pictures of the offending parts?

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,165 Posts
Yes indeed, if you get a misfire or pop in the intake and a puff of smoke in the AFM meter area, one needs to first investigate ignition.

Lesson learned.....

Thanks for posting this....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is along sarga with my 190e but proved fruitful and may bo use to others as a safety check.During lock down I gave the car a check over for MOT and without realising ran the fuel right down due to moving in and out of the garage.

When I went to move it onto the ramps it would not go up them. I put fuel in and all seemed well but on trying to drive on the road there was no power and banging back.

iI decided that I had picked up some dirt so changed the fuel filter to no avail. I then linked out the pump relay ran the pump checked fuel pressures,checked the injector spray which indicated all was well.

I then decided to check the tank filter and found the perfect 64 mm socket in Machine Mart which is used for the AD Blue cap on late diesel vehicles and vans,£7.00.

This fits the tank sender and the filter.

Underneath I clamped the outlet pipe ready drain the fuel into my container and removed the rubber sealing pad covering the filter. As I pulled the pad the small return pipe slid off and fuel started pouring out.I couldn’t get the pipe back on so let it drain out.

As per Sod’s law the filter was perfectly clean but the part you need to be aware of was that I found 4 half fuel pipe clips on the floor. Nothing was holding the small return pipes in place except friction. My car is a 1992. and the clips had rusted through.Itis fairly easy to check the clips but a little mor tricky to replace them but not to bad.

You might like to check yours sometime!!!,

Continu8ng the story. The fault was still there but I felt co fide t that it couldn’t be fuel so turned to ignition.

Lo and behold on removing the cap and the rubber cover there was large tracking mark done two posts. To check if this was the fault I scraped the mark out,fitted the cap and the misfire /spitting back was gone. I now have a new cap but be careful ordering as there aware two caps and rotors.Late cars with Cats and early ones without.

I hope you found this useful and do check those clips as a safety item.

I know know that I started my diagnosis the wrong end but it eventually saved me a massive problem.

JOHN BOY
Due to space problems it is very difficult to get worthwhile pictures just above the axle let alone get big hands in. Sorry no pictures.
The cap was obvious when I removed the leads.
If I can help by writng a description let me know.
John Boy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes indeed, if you get a misfire or pop in the intake and a puff of smoke in the AFM meter area, one needs to first investigate ignition.

Lesson learned.....

Thanks for posting this....
I agree but the previous fuel run out problems led me to a false diagnosis but luckily led me to a possible later problem waiting with the hoses.

One is always wise after the event.
John Boy

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,165 Posts
I agree but the previous fuel run out problems led me to a false diagnosis but luckily led me to a possible later problem waiting with the hoses.

One is always wise after the event.
John Boy
Agreed, I had the same issue after a HG replacement. I had broken the HV pin in the Distributor cap putting it back on. Luckily I opened it back up and there it was: the HV spring broken.

When I read your title the first thought that went thru my mind was...."I sure hope he checked the cap first.."

It is always obvious the second time around .....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts