Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm a little bored at work so might as well entertain myself a bit..

I've got a few random questions on 190's...

Question 1:
I've got grey cloth interior, and i've got a little bit of elbow grease on the passenger left bolster (Probably from the previous owner getting in and out of the car, he must have used the passenger seat bolster as support to get in and out of the car..) and on the passenger doorcard.

What would be the best way to wash this? Obviously i dont want to srub too hard since the cloth is still in great condition and I dont want to risk ripping it ..... or payin big bucks at a detailing shop.

Any DIY tricks to get these cloth seats properly cleaned??

Question 2:
I've had my car for 1.5 years now.. EVERYTIME i start the car i always wait until the RPM's drop to 850 before driving away. I start the car, the RPM's are at about 1000 then after about 10 seconds they drop down to the normal 850.

Are we actually supposed to wait for the rpm's to drop? if we dont wait can it cause any sort of damage? I've always been far too paranoid to not wait.. it sometimes makes people waiting in gas stations get very angry hehe.

Many thanks! And i'll probably post a couple of more questions before the day is over hehe, i need to spread them out to keep myself entertained until 5:30 lol.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought 1000 rpm was normal. My car is at 650 almost, I have to fix it...

1000 is a bit high for a normal idle.

The way mine is, hopefully other members will concur with this, I start the car and the idle is at 1000rpm.. it stays there for about 10 seconds and then sets itself at the normal 800-850 rpm's were it will remain for the entire time. If you close the car and reopen it the same will happen... 1000 then to 850

now i've wondered ever since i got the car... do i really have to wait for ir to drop to 850 before giving gaz?

ohh! and i should add, During the 10 seconds that the rpm's are at 1000 if u touch the gaz, it will go down to 850. his is normal yes?

And Bball, yeah i think 650 is a little low as well.... but i'm guessing as long as your car is not shaking or sputerring then i wouln't be too worried about it, must be a very slight adjustment.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
1: get some leather or mb tex seats..

2: 1000 is a little high, 750-850 is normal. but in general when you first start a car idle is a little high and it usually drops a few seconds later

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,973 Posts
My 1993 2.3 does the same, but I also need to know do you have to wait until it drops down to 700-800 rpm? I used to wait before but it has been several months that I dont wait till it drops down, I just put it in D or tab the gas pedal to drop it down to 700 faster.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1: get some leather or mb tex seats..

2: 1000 is a little high, 750-850 is normal. but in general when you first start a car idle is a little high and it usually drops a few seconds later

haha i've been looking and looking for black leather or mb-tex seats.. but the only ones i can find are on German Ebay. And i dont think i can pay over 5-600$ for shipping them to canada.

Futhermore, if i change the seats.... then i gotta get the black door cards, center console, A,B,C pillars... and so on.

So for now hehe i think i should just stick with getting them cleaned. My car money is very scarce these days..:(

...unless of coarse anyone in Montreal have a full black leather interior for sale? :D

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 1993 2.3 does the same, but I also need to know do you have to wait until it drops down to 700-800 rpm? I used to wait before but it has been several months that I dont wait till it drops down, I just put it in D or tab the gas pedal to drop it down to 700 faster.

Exaclty... I've been waiting for it to drop for almost 2 years now

And i'm beginning to get the urge to just tap the gaz to drop them myself... i just need to know if that's recommeneded to do hehe. I've spent too much effort and $$$ to get the car where it is now... i dont want to spoil all that work hehe.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
haha i've been looking and looking for black leather or mb-tex seats.. but the only ones i can find are on German Ebay. And i dont think i can pay over 5-600$ for shipping them to canada.

Futhermore, if i change the seats.... then i gotta get the black door cards, center console, A,B,C pillars... and so on.

So for now hehe i think i should just stick with getting them cleaned. My car money is very scarce these days..:(

...unless of coarse anyone in Montreal have a full black leather interior for sale? :D
you dont need a full interior, a combo black leather/mb tex with cloth door cards and the such will look nice and unique

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you dont need a full interior, a combo black leather/mb tex with cloth door cards and the such will look nice and unique

True, but i've got that Euro Checkered grey cloth.

If i simply put black leather or mb-tex then the doorcards would really be out of place with the checkered pattern... Unless i simply have leather sown in on the seat bolsters and the sides.... Sort of like a Euro Evo 1 interior. But then again thats $$$

For the moment, my interior is exactly like that all manual EVO1 with the checkered grey and black seats except everything is grey.

I'd post pics but they're all in my home computer..

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
True, but i've got that Euro Checkered grey cloth.

If i simply put black leather or mb-tex then the doorcards would really be out of place with the checkered pattern... Unless i simply have leather sown in on the seat bolsters and the sides.... Sort of like a Euro Evo 1 interior. But then again thats $$$

For the moment, my interior is exactly like that all manual EVO1 with the checkered grey and black seats except everything is grey.

I'd post pics but they're all in my home computer..
itll look good...

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
itll look good...
hahaha i'll have to make a quick photoshop to convince myself.

I love that, i started of the thread by asking how to clean the cloth seats... and we've concluded the only way to do that is to get black leather!

hehe, you wouln't happen to have a set would you? :eek: post '88? lol

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
So i'm a little bored at work so might as well entertain myself a bit..

YES, you are bored. So am I, just washed my car...:D

I bought seat cover from GAHH when C$ was at par with US$. Didn't want the junkyard smell & possible molds from used seat covers....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES, you are bored. So am I, just washed my car...:D

I bought seat cover from GAHH when C$ was at par with US$. Didn't want the junkyard smell & possible molds from used seat covers....:rolleyes:

yes....yes i am...very bored.

Yeah i wanted to buy leather covers from GAHH.... that is until i saw the prices..

to get both front seats, headrests and back seats... its well over 2K

Dont have that kind of cash right now... and if i did, i'd be looking at 400e brakes and Evo 1 rims hehe not seat covers.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
yes....yes i am...very bored.

Yeah i wanted to buy leather covers from GAHH.... that is until i saw the prices..

to get both front seats, headrests and back seats... its well over 2K

Dont have that kind of cash right now... and if i did, i'd be looking at 400e brakes and Evo 1 rims hehe not seat covers.
Yeah, I hear you. I just needed the driver's seat bottom.

400e brakes for a "1.8" 8V..:eek:..hehehe, just fooling with you.
Can't wait for tonight's canucks game...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I hear you. I just needed the driver's seat bottom.

400e brakes for a "1.8" 8V..:eek:..hehehe, just fooling with you.
Can't wait for tonight's canucks game...:thumbsup:

oh ok it was only the seat bottom.. if u were to get the whole interior its crazy expensive.. such a shame hehe.

hahaha.. i knew my engine size would come up!!!!
lol i want to put all my efforts into making this car as nimble and "tight" as possible... then i'll concentrate on getting a little more power.

....and i love the look of large brake discs behind a rim hehe:surrender:

oh yeah :thumbsup: we'll see what happens tonight!

·
Registered
190E 2.6 5spd
372 Posts
Well, I have a complete black interior off a '91 190E but I'm not quite willing to part it out just yet. I do have a mushroom white colored seats off my parts car with palamino door cards, if you're interested.. and I'm from Montreal.

And bball, sounds like my red 190E. Just adjust the idle!

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I have a complete black interior off a '91 190E but I'm not quite willing to part it out just yet. I do have a mushroom white colored seats off my parts car with palamino door cards, if you're interested.. and I'm from Montreal.

And bball, sounds like my red 190E. Just adjust the idle!
ohh.. hehe anytime your willing to give up the black interior send me a pm! hehe i'd pick them up on the spot

as for the mushroom and palamino interior.. i would, but there's just too many things i would have to do to match the color.. In the end black and grey go well together but beige and grey.. i'm not too sure about hehe

But thanks alot for the offer, much appreciated!

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
i can get seats at the local yard for cheap..

·
Registered
1985 190e 2.3, 1986 190e 2.3-16
57 Posts
I have an 85 190e with an '84 2.3l 8v block from germany. when i put the new block in alot of the vacuum hoses didnt match up. this caused sporadic idles that changed constantly between 500 and 2000 rpm. it took week to sort everything out, and i did a manual transmission swap. the motor now idles solid at 1000. which i feel is perfectly fine.

but... the 'morale' of my story is: check your vacuum lines. they may be cracked or loose and that will definitely rape your idle.

not sure if youve already figured the problem out or not...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts