Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again while I have the door panel off I need to replace the seal that the window rolls up in the middle of the two seals on the outside mirror(not dew wipes). I will try to get a picture soon.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The arrow is pointing to it

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,970 Posts
Not sure if you asking directions to remove the sidemirror too?
Anyways, There is a small tab at the back end of the sidemirror handle use a small screwdriver to slide it down & pull out to remove. Can't remember if the chrome for the coupes are one piece or not.. I think they are..
There should be screws inside the door panels holes.. Most likely two 10mm bolts peek through the holes in the door. You should find it.. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I wan to do is replace the seals. I thought you had to remove the mirror to do so. If you don't please tell me how to replace the seals.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
c'mon. anyone know?

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,134 Posts
I got the mirror off, that's no big deal after you remove the arm, like euroamg said. And, the chromed plastic plate inside just pops off. But, that chrome triangle on the door is a PITA. Maybe I was a little cautious, but I never did figure out how to remove it. I'm pretty sure it should come off in order to replace that worn seal.

I was thinking of just covering it with some sort of rubbery coating. Maybe silicone or a few thick coats of acrylic paint. I might give it another try next time I have the door panel off.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,970 Posts
This a side mirror of a 450sl. They might be similar...

Last pic the seal is out.. It just slides out of the chrome frame.. Remember pics just for reference..
I don't think you have to remove the metal chrome triangle piece?

The one on the 450sl mirror the seal just slides out...

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started to pull it out but I had second thoughts about it. When I started to pull it it looked like there was a metal plate the had rusted out and started to crumble. The plate was on the inside of the mirror right behind the plastic plate.

Could someone give me step-by-step directions on how to remove the mirror?

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,134 Posts
One piece at a time.

Start with the adjustment handle, then pop off the silvery plate. I think there are screws under that holding the mirror to the door. Don't remember exactly now, but not that complicated really. There aren't any tricks, just have to roll up your sleeves and do it.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do I have to remove the mirror to replace the guide seals.

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1978 280CE
68 Posts
slides out

on my coupe the seals just slide out - must have been glued in at one time but now they don't always want to stay in place. I'm not sure because I don't see anything in the manual.

John

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright well I guess I will go ahead and try to pull them out and put new ones in.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gregs300CD, Today I looked alittle more into it and found that they are glued in. I'm going to order a couple this week sometime and put them in.

Thanks, JamieK for the parts number.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts