Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have seriously been considering a supercharger since reading all this great data from HPS, but just don't want to make that big of an investment.
I am looking to get a little more power from either a chip, or filter, or both.....or even something else.

Has anyone done any minor mods that have made a difference?? Where did you get them from, and what was the price?

Kevin

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Personally no, I have the blower. But other members have reported good results from things like the Powerchip or Superchip upgrades (about 16 RWHP from the Powerchip on a '99 a friend has). K&N filters might give a few HP. Don't think there's much to be had on the exhaust side, and that would be very expensive too. Underdrive pulleys will also give you a couple HP, but even all this together would probably only amount to 20-30 RWHP.

·
Registered
233 Posts
F55 has the best answer if you want your 55 to run harder, and for $ invested versus performance returned a blower frankly ain't all that expensive.

As far as cheap HP gains I don't know if this will work or not but what about running higher octance unleaded fuel?

·
Registered
Hertzmobile
536 Posts
kevinw23 - 2/9/2005 7:55 AM
Has anyone done any minor mods that have made a difference?? Where did you get them from, and what was the price?
"Minor" mods...get a Kleemann kompressor kit...[:D][:D] Trust me that's minor! LOL [:p][:D]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kevin,

I put K&N in last week and I noticed a slightly livelier rev for the engine (most likely because the previous filter was dirty). It is enough to get over the sluggishness of the car in the initial low rpm stage so you don't need to step hard into the accelerator. This car often get confused and try to search for a gear and ended up slowing you down.

I am also looking for a chip to change the transmission but no luck so far. I tried to manual shift which is ok but not fast enough and not as good as shifting with the acclerator.

Supercharging may overcome all lag but still a little wild for me to go to that stage as the only thing this car need is a more responsive transmission.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
I completely agree that the tranny is slow to react in Manual mode.

It is electronically controlled, so it is hard for me to believe that there is not some kind of flash reprogram upgrade ?

Anybody got anything on this ??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
E55 and Beast, you guys hit the nail on the head. All I need is for the transmission to react faster. I had a flash program for an H2, so there has to be something for an E55.
About the filter, there is one on ebay right now for $85, is that a good price??? Where did you get yours?

Kevin

·
Registered
88 Posts
On the K&N filter, I think you have to get two together. I bought mine for $40 each and I think it is the common price on most sites which carry K&N. I won't buy auto parts on eBay because I don't know if they do auto parts for a living or not. The place I go to on the web does not do K&N but they order for me from another site which was a disaster. I wouldn't recommend this web site to anyone for K&N.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts