Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for an oil change at Jiffy Lube and they said I have a minor transmission fluid leak.

They didn't tell me anything else about it, so I wanted to check online here if there is anything I should do.

My transmission has been perfect thus far (232k miles), and to this day I don't notice anything wrong with it at all.

I assume there is a dipstick for the transmission fluid that I can check every so often and top off the fluid?

1993 300TE 3.2I, RWD

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
They didn't tell me anything else about it, so I wanted to check online here if there is anything I should do.
Yes, stop going to Jiffy Lube!

I would not worry about it until it leaves a six inch puddle overnight.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
1. I assume you have been servicing the transmission? If so take it back where you've been having that done.

2. If not this is the time to find a good indie, because I'm like Plus 100 on not taking ANY car to Jiffy Lube.

3. And yes there is a dipstick, and yes you should check it the level, but only if you know what you're doing. If not, see no. 2 above.

Good luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, man...I'm with those guys, Jiffylube is not the best of places. My transmission leaks a little and I read in my E-class Owner's Bible...if you can live with a little leak it's best too, because these transmissions will break the bank just to change out a seal or a pump or whatever. I think because the whole darn thing has to be removed and just that alone is a major wallet drainer. I just check my level once a week and carry a spare bottle of tranny fluid in the trunk with some paper towels. I took my 94 E420 to a Grease Monkey, once, and the guy gave me crap about my tranny leaking and i told him "What do you expect for a 18 year old car with 191k miles on it?"....;)

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Remember to always check the ATF level with the car running.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Last 2 posts^

Find out where its leaking from. Luckily its relatively easy to find the leaks on the tranny. Front = pump....mid/rear = pan or anything above. Everything is separated and usually drips directly down from wherever.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hello :) A minor leak or "sweat" from the front seal /converter seal is not uncommon on an older merc. So as mentioned above; don't worry unless you get a real puddle under the car when parked. Just check the level at a regular basis. I guess that sweating stops when you drive and the seal and everything is warm and there is oil pressure in the system.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
You might look at the kick-down solenoid; it has three O-rings and mine was leaking like a sieve. Now I only have a very tiny drop that appears right below the torque converter....level never varies.

What I can tell you about these cars before they got old.....mine was one of the driest (as in no oil leaks anywhere), that I've ever seen underneath a vehicle.....probably for the first 10-12yrs of its life. And if my ex hadn't taken the car, I would have kept right on top of that.

Kevin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello :) A minor leak or "sweat" from the front seal /converter seal is not uncommon on an older merc. So as mentioned above; don't worry unless you get a real puddle under the car when parked. Just check the level at a regular basis. I guess that sweating stops when you drive and the seal and everything is warm and there is oil pressure in the system.
I will be taking my 87 300E to a mechanic to check a transmission oil leak. The interesting thing with my leak is that when the engine is off, the car stays dry. When the car is running, there is a puddle of transmission fluid that is accumulating by the rear part of the transmission box.

When my car was on a lift, I checked for leaks at the gaskets, but it was impossible to tell. The problem in finding the source of these leaks is that parts do not get covered with transmission oil at the leak point. Since pressure is built in transmission box when the car is running, the leaks can appear towards the rear of the car, because of movement. I suspect that my leak might be in one of the hoses on the top of the gear box. It is difficult to check even when the car is on a lift. But I can see it dripping on the passenger side of the box, when the engine is running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to add the common comment, DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR TO JIFFY LUBE, unless you are taking your own oil and filter. There is a reason for their oil changes being so cheap and it's cheap oil but even worse really cheap crap filters. I use either penzoil synthetic or mobile synthetic in my gas engines and either rotella or Delo in my diesels. I'm not that flakey about 5k oil changes due to the cars being driven mainly on the interstates. Since I have over 200k on the ML320 (02), 480k E300D (95), 128k 2nd E300D (95), 390k 300 TD wagon (83), 429k 300TD (85) I assume my 6,000 to 8,500 oil changes has been ok. It's like the saying that used to be on Warsteiner "drink cheap beer, get cheap results".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts